DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic "Pro" 2?

Chouser

Reactions
So I've had my MP two months now, and I love how it does this and that and blah blah blah. I can't wait to buy the MP 2. But what can it possibly have that this one doesn't, besides possibly a better camera?

360 degree collision avoidance sensors. That and a better camera are all it needs really.

Judging on how they've handled product cycles for the Phantom and Inspire, I'm betting the next version will be something like a Mavic Pro+ and the Mavic Pro 2 will come in 2019. That one will probably be redesigned to be even smaller/more compact with longer battery life.

360-degree collision avoidance and an optical zoom on the camera are my bets, along with maybe longer flight time. Figure at least another year, minimum, before you can actually get one.

Keep in mind DJI wants to maximize revenue, so they have to be careful that the Mavic doesn't cannibalize Inspire sales with professionals and that the Spark doesn't cannibalize Mavic sales with amateurs.

But mostly, I bet they have their hands full now with the Spark problems that are bubbling to the surface and the fact that users have figured out how to open the doors to performance characteristics with the keys DJI gave them. Betcha a bunch of schedules are on hold while they scratch their heads about that.

Has there ever been a zoom function on a dji drone??? That would be great. All around sensing, short range radar, maybe built in prop guards and leg extensions. Also more camera features or add a dual camera feature?

Has there ever been a zoom function on a dji drone??? That would be great. All around sensing, short range radar, maybe built in prop guards and leg extensions. Also more camera features or add a dual camera feature?
There is a 2X's zoom on the Mavic Pro. Not great, but better than nothing.

Tony

Has there ever been a zoom function on a dji drone??? That would be great
The Zenmuse Z3 has a 3.5 optical zoom. I think that was DJI's first zoom offering. They haven't incorporated an optical zoom into the phantom series yet so I'd be surprised to see it on the next Mavic.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
I don't expect an optical zoom on a Mavic + or 2 soon. It would hurt the pro drone sales too much. Unless some vendor announces something similar to a Mavic with a zoom, but honestly the Mavic doesn't have a competitor as it is right now. I'm pretty sure DJI has a couple of tricks up their sleeve to quickly respond and completely overrule any competitors action.

360 degree collision avoidance sensors. That and a better camera are all it needs really.

Judging on how they've handled product cycles for the Phantom and Inspire, I'm betting the next version will be something like a Mavic Pro+ and the Mavic Pro 2 will come in 2019. That one will probably be redesigned to be even smaller/more compact with longer battery life.

Does your typical Mavic owner really want to buy a smaller Mav2 ?
Personally I like the current size. I would even be willing to buy something an inch or so bigger if it had a better camera.

I agree that the battery life will be better and I suspect those same packs will fit the original also. I don't see dji making two different battery packs when they can save production costs by making one that works in both.

Rob

Important
1) Better camera (bigger sensor, smaller and variable Aperture, Better Focus!!!)
2) 360 VAS (above also) - today situation makes intelligent flights meaningless in many occasions even dangerous
Wishful thinking
3) possibility to change battery and SD card while folded ;)
4) Auto gimbal lock/unlock ;)
5) Longer battery life/flight

-Camera that doesn't exhibit water color affect
-More robust gimbal - It's far too easy to rip the ribbon cable
-Selectable ATTI mode
-Simple 720P fixed wide angle rear facing camera. Pretty much a rear view mirror that could be selected in place of the map PIP display. IMO this would be far more useful than more OA sensors for those of us that end up turning off OA anyway.
-True FPV mode where camera is electronically held in a fixed position
-SD card accessible without unfolding arms
-Ability to change parameters that are currently only accessible by hacking into debug mode
-Camera tracking mode where you select an object but can fly freely around as normal and it does it's best to keep the subject in frame. Similar to spotlight mode but currently spotlight mode limits your movements too much.

I also hope they make it easier to get the massive files off the drone. Taking an SD card out is so last decade! Either offer USB-C port or wifi upload.

And can't say this often enough: we need the ability to take photos while taking videos, without interrupting the video taking. This is a *huge* issue for me, as the best photo opportunities typically come in the middle of a video, and it's sad to make the video skip at exactly that place.

Reactions: superdave5050
The DJI Phantom 3 was a big leap for DJI into the consumer drone market. Its first version was the Phantom 3 Pro as a few months later the Phantom 3 Standard followed. I'd say it's not impossible for the next Mavic to be a Mavic Standard.

Reactions: eshaw119
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zantuna