DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 3 ? Any thoughts of when it will be announced ?

If your interests are photographic/video, the current crop of drones are fine. They are not as good as cameras from Nikon, Canon, or Sony, but the biggest problem by far with drone photography is uninspired images. Once one gets past the “Gee whiz look at me flying” stage, making interesting stuff is quite demanding, requiring thought about composition, lighting choices, interesting subjects, viewer attention timespan, and appropriate sound. Very few drone videos take any of these into account very seriously.

These photographic issues will not change with any proposed new drone.

I'm still in the "gee whiz" mode and probably will be for a long time.

Reason I go to the trouble, and it is a lot of trouble, researching drone laws in different countries and trying to register and comply with all the laws as best as I can, is to get a perspective I can't get otherwise.

A lot of places have outlooks and viewpoints which are very popular. Google Maps have high reviews of them. But the views in these places are often obscured by foliage or buildings and of course lot of other people who are taking selfies and such.

Drones get you above all that for unobstructed views. We often ask what makes a landscape so awesome. A lot of it has to do with the sense of grandeur and scope from being able to see details for miles in multiple directions. Of course drones allow you to "make" these wide nightlines possible. For instance, you're on a mountain road which is covered with trees or buildings or dense foliage but the road is going along a mountain range. Yet you can't see it from the road or you only see glimpses of the mountain as you drive by gaps in the trees. Fly a drone above that and you get the panorama you wouldn't get otherwise.

As far as composition and trying to deal with light, using filters, etc. obviously that can be done but you're often trying to get a flight in before someone might object and you're fighting for enough sunlight, avoiding windy times, etc.

So I try to do as many panos as I can for a given flight, because the DNGs I save don't always stitch so I capture many of them at different locations, elevations, as well as capture some video or hyper lapses before the battery runs out and I have to land.

Reactions: LeeHene
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll