DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro 3 ? Any thoughts of when it will be announced ?

M3 already? They just released the M2. I went with the M1 that has a good track record. The M2 sounded like a confused product concept to me. I mean who would buy a 2X zoom camera vs. Hasalblad. That left me scratching my head.

The Evo II sounds impressive. But 8K. Does that mean the $3K+ iMac tha I've been thinking of buying to edit 4K videos is already obsolete?

Confused about what? The two drones in the Mavic 2 range make sense especially after reading the forums here and people who have switched between them. On paper the Mavic 2 Pro has a much better sensor but for those who use the photos straight out of camera they won't get the IQ advantage but instead will see a noticeable advantage being able to use an optical zoom.

Reactions: EddieOi352
I have both the original Mavic Pro, and the Mavic Air in my fleet, so I don't NEED to buy a drone, just WANT to (as most drone addicts do). I find myself flying the Mavic Pro more than the Air, due to it's sturdiness and the OcuSync, which gives me a decent amount of flight time and flight distance with a great connection. The Air's wifi drives me crazy, so prefer flying the Pro.

Was seduced by Skydio 2's obstacle avoidance and tracking, it's something I truly find amazing, and really wanted it. But once again, the wifi issues, and having to wait until the 3rd quarter to receive it just doesn't appeal to me. Mavic Mini appeals to me, because I can go buy it today if I wanted, the wifi seems better than the Air's (though they seem to be the same wifi), and the battery time really appeals to me. But the wind issues have me holding back. Finally the Autel Evo II, that drone is exactly what I'm looking for, and will be available soon. The price doesn't appeal to me, the most I've ever spent was $1000 on a drone.

It's a really tough decision, I'm a poor man in a rich man's hobby. $1500 for a drone sounds insane to me, but I guess that's the price I have to pay if I want the Autel Evo II or the Mavic 3 (when it's announced). I'm assuming the Mavic 3 will have some insane tech in it to compete with Skydio 2 and Evo II.
M3 prolly be $2k or more ?

Ok, pretty simple subject. I've heard several rumors on Youtube and the internet, that the Mavic 3 Pro will be announced very soon, some of the rumors even said it would be announced in January. Obviously, the odds of a January announcement seem pretty doubtful now.

What are your thoughts ? I am in the market for a new drone. Almost bought the Skydio 2, but seems backordered until the 3rd quarter (plus was worried about poor wifi results), then was thinking about the Mavic Mini, but never pulled the trigger. Then I saw the Autel Evo II, that has totally peaked my interest. Seems to have EVERYTHING I want in a drone, That thing looks like a beast, 8k video, which I probably would hardly use, 40 minute flight time, omnidirectional obstacle avoidance, incredible 5.5 miles flight distance. Just a monster. VERY tempted.

BUT, I'm waiting to see what DJI has up their sleeves with the DJI Mavic 3 Pro. Anyone hear any juicy rumors about any announcements coming up ?
lol heck im still enjoying my mavic pro , whats the rush to get the new and sometimes not always improved mavic drone , its like people lining up for the new iphone whe the one they got is still good lol thats just my probably not wanted opinion lol carry on

Reactions: Peio64270
All of these discussions rely on what purpose your drone serves for you. If the rush is to pioneer the latest and greatest technology, then by all means do so knowing that with anything as complex as as a drone, there will be unintended consequences from the new features.

If your interests are photographic/video, the current crop of drones are fine. They are not as good as cameras from Nikon, Canon, or Sony, but the biggest problem by far with drone photography is uninspired images. Once one gets past the “Gee whiz look at me flying” stage, making interesting stuff is quite demanding, requiring thought about composition, lighting choices, interesting subjects, viewer attention timespan, and appropriate sound. Very few drone videos take any of these into account very seriously.

These photographic issues will not change with any proposed new drone.

Ok, pretty simple subject. I've heard several rumors on Youtube and the internet, that the Mavic 3 Pro will be announced very soon, some of the rumors even said it would be announced in January. Obviously, the odds of a January announcement seem pretty doubtful now.

What are your thoughts ? I am in the market for a new drone. Almost bought the Skydio 2, but seems backordered until the 3rd quarter (plus was worried about poor wifi results), then was thinking about the Mavic Mini, but never pulled the trigger. Then I saw the Autel Evo II, that has totally peaked my interest. Seems to have EVERYTHING I want in a drone, That thing looks like a beast, 8k video, which I probably would hardly use, 40 minute flight time, omnidirectional obstacle avoidance, incredible 5.5 miles flight distance. Just a monster. VERY tempted.

BUT, I'm waiting to see what DJI has up their sleeves with the DJI Mavic 3 Pro. Anyone hear any juicy rumors about any announcements coming up ?
I haven't read any replies to your ;post because i want to put down my thoughts without any outside influences so to speak, that Autel drone sounds pretty bloody good to me plus they are set to launch a professional version shortly as well, then you can change cameras by undoing 4 screws! (not buying a completely separate drone like another company i know) whistle........................It sounds to me like the DJI mentality of lets gouge the bejeezus out of our customer base as hard as we can, we have no real competition we are laughing, well as we all know there will always be someone who catches up one day then you pay the piper, if another company comes up with comparable products with interchangeable bits and bobs and is priced competitively, DJI is going to have to lift its game as far as customer service and satisfaction is concerned, don't get me wrong here I think DKI is a brilliant innovator as far as drones and tech goes but surely you can make cameras, gimbels, osmo;s etc that are interchangeable, i dont believe its not possible, but they do exactly that oh no you cant have an X3 zoom camera you buy with your Inspire then put it on an Osmo tsk tsk you need to buy a completely new OTHER camera, or yes you have an Inspire V1 Pro Raw set up and it cost you thousands and thousands of dollars, but you cant take one tiny piece of equipment with you on the Inspire V2 no no you have to outlay everything again, and yes the Inspire V1 raw footage is horrendous at the backend in the edit the time involved is diabolical but we will not do anything to rectify that we want you to buy the new system that is much quicker if we fix the V1 system we won't get as many new machine sales and thats just scratching the surface, so anything or anyone that forces them to change their attitude is a win win in my book and even if there is a mavic Pro 3 in the pipeline i bet it will be far more expensive that the Autel but then again maybe not if the Autel proves to be real competition to them time will tell, ha! sorry rant over D out...............

M3 already? They just released the M2. I went with the M1 that has a good track record. The M2 sounded like a confused product concept to me. I mean who would buy a 2X zoom camera vs. Hasalblad. That left me scratching my head.

The Evo II sounds impressive. But 8K. Does that mean the $3K+ iMac tha I've been thinking of buying to edit 4K videos is already obsolete?
Well some digital high end film cameras are now 10 to 12 K so your never going to keep up with how fast the tech is changing but do you really need to? i rarely shooy in 4k these days is so large to film and store and i usually convert down to edit unless i have something i want to seriously crop the 4K TV will last for many years and really most people cant tell the difference anyway

That's not really a concern of mine. I'm not a professional drone pilot, so I don't really care too much about that. I never edit or show my videos to anyone other than friends and family. That being said, it never hurts to have a really great camera on your drone. Though my first drone (way back in 2016) was the Yuneec Q500+, and it was 1080p, I was plenty happy with it.
Your dead right most lay people would never be able top tell the difference haha and i actually still have my Q500 its great nice and stable chugs around takes great shots

Reactions: scott rand
Well, it doesn't help that I'm a tech geek, and always want something new, though finances don't always allow that.

I saw an interesting video last night, Flytpath compared the EVO II, vs the MP2 and MP2 zoom, and in the videos, the Mavic Pro 2 with the 1 inch sensor, the videos look better than the EVO II. Even the Zoom looked better. He did take the video in 8k and downgraded it to 4k, but I was amazed by the quality of the 2 Mavic 2's, especially the one with the 1 inch sensor. So if the MP3 has that 1 inch sensor, I would assume it would be better than the EVO II. Wow, people are making it difficult for me.

Maybe I'll just buy the MP2 1 inch sensor version. Improved battery life to my original MP, obviously a great camera. And OcuSync 2. Very tough decision.

M3P will have ADS-B and be considerable more expensive. I'm not buying another DJI until the tariffs are lifted.

M3P will have ADS-B and be considerable more expensive. I'm not buying another DJI until the tariffs are lifted.

I’ve not used one of the existing drones with DJI’s ADS-B receiver, but the people I’ve spoke to that have one haven’t found it all that useful.

Im only speculating, but I personally would guess that the Mavic 3 will very likely be very competitive with the existing Mavic 2 pricing. This also lines up with the Evo 2 pricing.

The Mavic 2 pricing has essentially been “on sale” at pre-tariff pricing since Black Friday.

Tariffs really are a killer. Hell the Mavic Air was $799 when I bought it, now it costs MORE after being out 2 years. They sell it for $919 now.

Tariffs really are a killer. Hell the Mavic Air was $799 when I bought it, now it costs MORE after being out 2 years. They sell it for $919 now.

I could be wrong (I don't keep a super close eye on prices over time), but I think the Mavic Air is about the only product that is still at post-tariff pricing. Pretty much everything else has been *mostly* back down to pre-tariff pricing since Black Friday.

In regards to the Air, I've heard from multiple distributors that DJI has told them it is out of production and they don't expect to produce any more. My guess is that they don't have a whole lot still in inventory and are fine with keeping the price high on them to keep a few more available until they are ready to release its successor. On the DJI store, the red version has been out of stock for a very long time and the black version has also been out of stock for quite a while. Currently they only have the white version in the standard version (white Fly More is also out of stock).

The pricing on the Mavic 2 may change at the end of the month. I believe the current sale is advertised to end at the end of January.

I could be wrong (I don't keep a super close eye on prices over time), but I think the Mavic Air is about the only product that is still at post-tariff pricing. Pretty much everything else has been *mostly* back down to pre-tariff pricing since Black Friday.

In regards to the Air, I've heard from multiple distributors that DJI has told them it is out of production and they don't expect to produce any more. My guess is that they don't have a whole lot still in inventory and are fine with keeping the price high on them to keep a few more available until they are ready to release its successor. On the DJI store, the red version has been out of stock for a very long time and the black version has also been out of stock for quite a while. Currently they only have the white version in the standard version (white Fly More is also out of stock).

The pricing on the Mavic 2 may change at the end of the month. I believe the current sale is advertised to end at the end of January.
Thanks again for the info kloogee. I was really hooked on the Mavic Air when I got it at launch. But the wifi range really disappointed me. Have mainly flown my Mavic Pro (1st version) for the last year or so. I love that drone, it really is a beast. Don't wanna jinx it, but I haven't had any issues with mine since I bought it in December of 2016. I trust it in ANY conditions. The Mavic Air, I got wind warnings constantly (probably not as much as people get with the mini), and just awful wifi range.

Regardless of what you buy I would recommend that you wait about six months before buying a brand new model. It seems that the drone companies like to use the first batch of customers as beta testers to find all the problems.
I was an early adpoter of the Mavic 2 pro (had a special coupon code) - flew it in countless different countries, winds and conditions - no problem so far!

Reactions: Camino Ken

I am wondering if DJI can do better
You forget to mentioned Evo 2 Dual with thermal camera which is also available

That's not really a concern of mine. I'm not a professional drone pilot, so I don't really care too much about that. I never edit or show my videos to anyone other than friends and family. That being said, it never hurts to have a really great camera on your drone. Though my first drone (way back in 2016) was the Yuneec Q500+, and it was 1080p, I was plenty happy with it.

I don't know that 8k alone would be a vast improvement over 4k. The M2P doesn't even do 4k as well as the Phantom 4 Pro right?

I'd rather see them support higher bitrates and more efficient codecs to say produce 10 bit 4:2:2 color space before increasing the resolution.

Besides, that Swedish Youtube guy said his computers and devices choke on 8k files from the EVO 8k. Until the drones can support a much more efficient codec, 8k would be kind of pointless unless you don't mind transcoding every clip.

There's always room for camera improvement. Apple, Samsung and Google now sell their $800-1500 phones based on camera improvements every year. Not just better sensors and optics but now, computational photography. So they have graphics PhDs develop image-processing techniques and using a lot more power than the processors you're going to have on drones.

It's too bad one of these big companies aren't making drones. Or maybe they can partner with DJI and other drone makers to try to really improve photography with limited sensor and optics.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78