DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Battery Mod

Guys my pair of miltistar 4000s turned up today from hobbyking ,by accident I must of ordered lipo instead of LiHV [emoji849]
I need one know if I can run these and if so is there any benefits or disadvantages ?!
Someone did tell me these perform better on the second half of 50% ? I’ve included two pictures one is of the weight of the pair etc
e9081272c71a3836e9cb87663cb6b99d.jpg
2a30a0d37aec2effdedaf77f84432c6d.jpg

The disadvantage is they are only rated to be charged to 4.2V per cell as compared to the LiHV's are rated to 4.35V and they usually are a little heavier but looking at what yours weigh i don't know if the LiHV 4's are lighter. The less voltage thing kinda sucks if your tryin to break records but if not then i wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lopez0015
They work, but have high internal resistance. This means that you won't get all the energy out of them easily. You Mavic battery might show 10% and around 3.6V, but those externals will have something like 3.85V or more. Basically you're only using 65-70% of the external. The LiHV have very low internal resistance and the external usage will track the internal better. I recommend that you get a set of LiHV as well.

Hey Cyber the Mulitstar LiHV's and non LiHV's have the same internal resistance between 4.5 to 6 millioms per cell at storage charge. But I have a question what do your 4.0 LiHV's weigh? I thought i read somewhere you said 550 grams for 2 of them?

The disadvantage is they are only rated to be charged to 4.2V per cell as compared to the LiHV's are rated to 4.35V and they usually are a little heavier but looking at what yours weigh i don't think the LiHV 4's are much lighter. The less voltage thing kinda sucks if your tryin to break records but if not then i wouldn't worry about it.
Why am I being told by people that do really big distances that sometimes these perform better in the 2nd 50% of use than the the LiHV ?!
Another thing the LiHV equivalent is much heavier ,LiHV weighs 270-275g each these weigh 242g .
222005fd3b56d5d5b1d74dafe9035d24.jpg

Why am I being told by people that do really big distances that sometimes these perform better in the 2nd 50% of use than the the LiHV ?!

IDK why but that's not my experience with the Multistar batteries. I worked more with the P3 6.6 LiHV's and non LiHV's and i haven't noticed that.

Another thing the LiHV equivalent is much heavier ,LiHV weighs 270-275g each these weigh 242g .

Yeah idk why that is either if that is the case. All my LiHV's are lighter. My 4s 6.6 LiHV weighs 552 grams and the non weighs 623grams. I dont have 4's to weigh to check that. If you're going of the Hobbyking website for weight they aren't always accurate.

IDK why but that's not my experience with the Multistar batteries. I worked more with the P3 6.6 LiHV's and non LiHV's and i haven't noticed that.

Yeah idk why that is either if that is the case. All my LiHV's are lighter. My 4s 6.6 LiHV weighs 552 grams and the non weighs 623grams. I dont have 4's to weigh to check that. If you're going of the Hobbyking website for weight they aren't always accurate.

Below is a normal 4000 LiHV battery , my friend runs a pair of them ! As you can see much heavier than the lipo version .
1ea4280b98eb26a9a2b7aab97cceb5e5.jpg

About 5G of wrap , The standard weight is 275g unwrapped.
So that debunks Lipo version being heavier .

Maybe for the 3S 4's anyway. If this is accurate then what id personally try (not telling you to do this it is supposed to be dangerous) is overcharging them to 4.35V and give it a test.

Reactions: Rnl and Ciganoboxer
Maybe for the 3S 4's anyway. If this is accurate then what id personally try (not telling you to do this it is supposed to be dangerous) is overcharging them to 4.35V and give it a test.

I have ordered the LiHV anyway but I will try these to see what differences is .
So what should I charge these Lipo to then ?

They're rated to 4.2Vper cell. If you choose the lipo setting on your charger it will charge to that.

Hey Cyber the Mulitstar LiHV's and non LiHV's have the same internal resistance between 4.5 to 6 millioms per cell at storage charge. But I have a question what do your 4.0 LiHV's weigh? I thought i read somewhere you said 550 grams for 2 of them?

If they had the same internal resistance then why do the lipo versions lag the mavic battery do much as compared to lihv. That lag in voltage can only be caused by internal resistance. Try them yourself and you will see a drastic difference. I have 3 pairs of 4000 Lipo and 2 pairs of lihv 4000. There is no comparing them. The lipos are lighter but give much less flight time and distance and usually leave a lot in the externals lipos when mavic battery is mostly depleted. Lihv closely follow mavic battery.

If they had the same internal resistance then why do the lipo versions lag the mavic battery do much as compared to lihv. That lag in voltage can only be caused by internal resistance. Try them yourself and you will see a drastic difference. I have 3 pairs of 4000 Lipo and 2 pairs of lihv 4000. There is no comparing them. The lipos are lighter but give much less flight time and distance and usually leave a lot in the externals lipos when mavic battery is mostly depleted. Lihv closely follow mavic battery.

What type of distance and flight time did you get from LiPo in comparison to LiHV mate ?! [emoji848]

All what i can tell you is my experience using them on the P3. I have a meter that reads internal resistance and mine are the same and drain evenly with the stock battery. They also have the same discharge rating and the batteries I've tested the lower the C rating the higher the resistance which makes sense. The only time I've had issues with high resistance on any 10C multistar is when i split one and took all the insulation off thinking i was going to save weight. Flying in cold temperatures didn't work out so well. I did a lot of resistance measuring with the meter and what i found is temperature has one of the biggest effects on resistance. I can hold a stripped down battery in my hand and literately within a second the resistance lowers just from body heat and vise versa when you let it go. The same goes for one with all the protection on but it happens more slowly. I put more then a few battery's in the refrigerator and on heating vents to test. I probably have around 14 10C multistar batteries with 2 of them being regular 6.6 Lipos and they all have the same resistance between 4.5 and 6 millioms per cell at 65deg and charged to storage voltage. But yeah Cyber idk about your 4.0 lipos they MAY have a high resistance idk Ive never tested a 3s 4.0 only 4s 4.0 LiHV's...And remember the resistance from the battery to the board only has to be less then the stock battery to drain evenly with it. I wish i remembered the stock cell resistance but I threw mine out. (i think it was like 10 millioms per cell. The P3's were 15).. But if you're lookin to do some measuring this is a good meter. Universal ESR Analysis Meter - ProgressiveRC

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661