DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro camera completely snapped off in worst luck ever. Advice?

paulgreeny83

Reactions
Hi there,

I have the Mavic Pro, and DJI Care Refresh. I crashed the drone in Panama earlier this year and got salt water splashed on it - and so it was replaced under the care refresh (was $700 to repair or $70 to replace). I now only have one refresh left.

When back in the UK last week, I flew into some branches in sport mode, the drone flipped onto its back and crashed 6ft to the ground, and the gimbal cable severed (the weakest point on the A/C). Everything else seemed fine. I ordered a replacement PCB ribbon and wanted to do the repair myself (I'm an engineer and have the teardown video - doesn't seem too difficult). Just now, when testing to ensure everything else was working correctly before I tear it down to replace the gimbal ribbon, it would not increase altitude (would not respond to input), and instead flew backwards at speed 1ft into my patio door (can only think controls were set differently), flipped onto its back and fell 0.5ft to the ground. This time what I presume is the video cable (multi-core silver stranded cable) snapped, and the camera completely detached from the camera (unbelievable). I've attached a picture of said cable.Mavic Camera.jpg

Does anyone know if this cable is available for purchase? Or maybe a drone repair shop will be able to replace it along with the gimbal ribbon cable? I've already bought the ribbon cable for the gimbal, and would rather either try and also purchase a replacement video cable and repair both, or send it to an authorized repair shop and ask them to replace both cables. If I send to DJI, I know they'll quote to either just replace the camera (~$350), or replace on my last refresh, something i'd rather avoid.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

Hi there,

I have the Mavic Pro, and DJI Care Refresh. I crashed the drone in Panama earlier this year and got salt water splashed on it - and so it was replaced under the care refresh (was $700 to repair or $70 to replace). I now only have one refresh left.

When back in the UK last week, I flew into some branches in sport mode, the drone flipped onto its back and crashed 6ft to the ground, and the gimbal cable severed (the weakest point on the A/C). Everything else seemed fine. I ordered a replacement PCB ribbon and wanted to do the repair myself (I'm an engineer and have the teardown video - doesn't seem too difficult). Just now, when testing to ensure everything else was working correctly before I tear it down to replace the gimbal ribbon, it would not increase altitude (would not respond to input), and instead flew backwards at speed 1ft into my patio door (can only think controls were set differently), flipped onto its back and fell 0.5ft to the ground. This time what I presume is the video cable (multi-core silver stranded cable) snapped, and the camera completely detached from the camera (unbelievable). I've attached a picture of said cable.View attachment 8673

Does anyone know if this cable is available for purchase? Or maybe a drone repair shop will be able to replace it along with the gimbal ribbon cable? I've already bought the ribbon cable for the gimbal, and would rather either try and also purchase a replacement video cable and repair both, or send it to an authorized repair shop and ask them to replace both cables. If I send to DJI, I know they'll quote to either just replace the camera (~$350), or replace on my last refresh, something i'd rather avoid.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

I'd send it in & use the Care Fresh. Two wrecks, you probably need a new camera anyway.

Reactions: paulgreeny83
You may want to practice flying more away from any solid objects.
To answer your question, you're probably going to end up sending it in for Refresh.

**** i bet your Mavic has a headache, some drone shops are stripping new Mavics for parts, Thunder drones has parts and some others may well have the same idea of stripping new ones to increase profits, sounds like you are gonna be a best customer :) I am sure there will be parts out there or a repairer by now, refresh only lasts one year i think, might be worth just cashing it in.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest