DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Crash (with video)

FlyingFilmmaker

Reactions
Site
flyingfilmmakerpro.com
So..... I had a flyaway and crash with my Mavic Pro a few days ago. (written description below video)

I was filming a waterfall that was surrounded and covered by trees. Just after I took off it decided it had lost contact with the controller and wanted to go home. I hadn't turned the failsafe RTH off so it started trying to up to 400 feet. Wellll........ that didn't go so well......... The Mavic flew up and into some leaves and shredded them, which knocked it back down and to the side a ways. But of course the GPS took it straight back to where it was and kept going up. Then it ran into a little 1/2 inch limb and got it's one motor and propeller hooked over it. So, now it was stuck in a tree.....

The problem was it was about 40 feet up with rocks directly under it. We decided that the only thing to do was to knock it out, so we started throwing sticks at it, and I was ready to start the props if it fell. After a few tries, we knocked it out and it hit the rocks just after the props started. For some reason, it didn't just hover but went flying off down the creek at quite some speed. It flew for maybe 80 feet and then hit another tree, which it bounced out of and then hit another limb and then fell down............ Now we could get to it, the only problem was that we had to find it. The area where it fell was dense rhododendrons and my phone battery had just died so I couldn't use the GPS to find it. Long story short, after a lot of searching, prayer, and running up and down a hillside we finally found it. It was caught on a limb hanging ALMOST over the creek, just hanging there.

It broke one of the front landing gera, destroyed the ND filter I had on the camera (glad I had one on), popped the foot of one of the rear motors, knocked the rear light cover off (which I found), and bent the rear arm stops a bit. And shredded the props and gave it a few scratches. But it still flies fine and I got some more epic shots on our camping trip.

Looks like the front landing leg should be easy to fix (three screws) and the rear foot as well (if I can find a replacement part online). The one thing that doesn't seem to be an easy fix is the rear arm stops. Not sure if I should leave them or try to replace..

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
you are very lucky to still have a drone to repair couple of things why would you have the RTH height set to 400 ft ,and it sounds like you lost GPS and the drone went into ATTI mode
the rear arm stops need to be replaced as they are what stop the arms from folding up when the arms are extended

you are very lucky to still have a drone to repair couple of things why would you have the RTH height set to 400 ft ,and it sounds like you lost GPS and the drone went into ATTI mode
the rear arm stops need to be replaced as they are what stop the arms from folding up when the arms are extended
I have the RTH altitude set to 400 feet because I don't want it to run into things. ? I fly in areas with mountains/ hills a lot, so it needs to be able to clear them.

If it had gone into ATTI mode, that would have been no problem (I know how to fly a drone without GPS ?), but I totally lost control of the drone.

The rear arm stops still stop the arms, they just let them go a little higher than they should.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
So..... I had a flyaway and crash with my Mavic Pro a few days ago. (written description below video)

I was filming a waterfall that was surrounded and covered by trees. Just after I took off it decided it had lost contact with the controller and wanted to go home. I hadn't turned the failsafe RTH off so it started trying to up to 400 feet. Wellll........ that didn't go so well......... The Mavic flew up and into some leaves and shredded them, which knocked it back down and to the side a ways. But of course the GPS took it straight back to where it was and kept going up. Then it ran into a little 1/2 inch limb and got it's one motor and propeller hooked over it. So, now it was stuck in a tree.....

The problem was it was about 40 feet up with rocks directly under it. We decided that the only thing to do was to knock it out, so we started throwing sticks at it, and I was ready to start the props if it fell. After a few tries, we knocked it out and it hit the rocks just after the props started. For some reason, it didn't just hover but went flying off down the creek at quite some speed. It flew for maybe 80 feet and then hit another tree, which it bounced out of and then hit another limb and then fell down............ Now we could get to it, the only problem was that we had to find it. The area where it fell was dense rhododendrons and my phone battery had just died so I couldn't use the GPS to find it. Long story short, after a lot of searching, prayer, and running up and down a hillside we finally found it. It was caught on a limb hanging ALMOST over the creek, just hanging there.

It broke one of the front landing gera, destroyed the ND filter I had on the camera (glad I had one on), popped the foot of one of the rear motors, knocked the rear light cover off (which I found), and bent the rear arm stops a bit. And shredded the props and gave it a few scratches. But it still flies fine and I got some more epic shots on our camping trip.

Looks like the front landing leg should be easy to fix (three screws) and the rear foot as well (if I can find a replacement part online). The one thing that doesn't seem to be an easy fix is the rear arm stops. Not sure if I should leave them or try to replace..
Sorry for your loss. Been there, except my crash was all me. :(

I have the RTH altitude set to 400 feet because I don't want it to run into things. ? I fly in areas with mountains/ hills a lot, so it needs to be able to clear them.

If it had gone into ATTI mode, that would have been no problem (I know how to fly a drone without GPS ?), but I totally lost control of the drone.

The rear arm stops still stop the arms, they just let them go a little higher than they should.
until they snap off due to stress during flight and the arm flips round and the drone comes tumbling down ,it seems to me that you didnt have a lot of control in the first place ,young man,you certainly weren't giving much thought to the surroundings you were flying in
sorry if my post offends you but you have your opinion and i have mine

until they snap off due to stress during flight and the arm flips round and the drone comes tumbling down ,it seems to me that you didnt have a lot of control in the first place ,young man,you certainly weren't giving much thought to the surroundings you were flying in
sorry if my post offends you but you have your opinion and i have mine
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. Have there been any known cases of that actually happening?

As far as not having much control in the first place. Yes, it wasn't very smart to not have failsafe RTH turned off. But I've flown many times in even tighter spaces than this, and never had a serious crash. And I would consider myself to be pretty good at flying these drones. Not the best out there, but I am better than many at doing complex drone shots. Anyway, it doesn't really matter. Now I know what not to do. ?

Reactions: old man mavic
Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. Have there been any known cases of that actually happening?

As far as not having much control in the first place. Yes, it wasn't very smart to not have failsafe RTH turned off. But I've flown many times in even tighter spaces than this, and never had a serious crash. And I would consider myself to be pretty good at flying these drones. Not the best out there, but I am better than many at doing complex drone shots. Anyway, it doesn't really matter. Now I know what not to do. ?
@DroneFilmmaker even though i am 73 i am still learning i am glad you took my comments on the chin ,like a man
my only reason for the comments i make is to help prevent other flyers ,from getting in to situations where they are likely to damage or lose their drones ,its not a competition you probably take far better pics than me ,but at the same time as you are taking those pics ,you have to fly the drone as well its a fine balance between risk and reward i hope you do get your drone repaired so it is airworthy again, good luck in your endeavours

@DroneFilmmaker even though i am 73 i am still learning i am glad you took my comments on the chin ,like a man
my only reason for the comments i make is to help prevent other flyers ,from getting in to situations where they are likely to damage or lose their drones ,its not a competition you probably take far better pics than me ,but at the same time as you are taking those pics ,you have to fly the drone as well its a fine balance between risk and reward i hope you do get your drone repaired so it is airworthy again, good luck in your endeavours
I would agree that for general recreational fliers, flying in an enclosed space is probably not the best idea. But some of us fly drones mainly to get shots we couldn't get otherwise and accept the risk of crashing from flying in higher risk environments. Point is, it actually takes more skill and better control to fly in tight spaces or pull off an incredible close proximity shot.

Reactions: old man mavic
I would agree that for general recreational fliers, flying in an enclosed space is probably not the best idea. But some of us fly drones mainly to get shots we couldn't get otherwise and accept the risk of crashing from flying in higher risk environments. Point is, it actually takes more skill and better control to fly in tight spaces or pull off an incredible close proximity shot.
Skill is not just a matter of control on the sticks. It is the entire body of knowledge and the entire flight. Skill also means preparing properly for all contingencies, knowing your surroundings, and having situational awareness.

RTH altitude should be set properly for each flight depending on that specific flight. I have flown under bridges and I make sure that prior to such flights I set the RTH altitude to some number less than the height of the bridge deck. Each flight requires proper planning and settings for that specific flight.

Skill is not just a matter of control on the sticks. It is the entire body of knowledge and the entire flight. Skill also means preparing properly for all contingencies, knowing your surroundings, and having situational awareness.

RTH altitude should be set properly for each flight depending on that specific flight. I have flown under bridges and I make sure that prior to such flights I set the RTH altitude to some number less than the height of the bridge deck. Each flight requires proper planning and settings for that specific flight.

That's true. I just never really thought about the RTH altitude being too high, just too low. Now I'll know to set it lower or turn it off. You've got to learn sometime I guess.

I've been flying my Mavic Pro since it's early release ( total game changer ) Obviously too late now but I ALWAYS set my RTH for distance flights & close tight flying I set to hover.....especially over water / boating etc. Hey at least you got your baby back to fly another day. Good luck with the repairs the Mavic is a tough old bird & I LOVE flying it - getting those hard to reach shots is all part of the skill set. Get it repaired & get back out there.
Happy flying my friend!

I've been flying my Mavic Pro since it's early release ( total game changer ) Obviously too late now but I ALWAYS set my RTH for distance flights & close tight flying I set to hover.....especially over water / boating etc. Hey at least you got your baby back to fly another day. Good luck with the repairs the Mavic is a tough old bird & I LOVE flying it - getting those hard to reach shots is all part of the skill set. Get it repaired & get back out there.
Happy flying my friend!
I'll be doing that 100% now. The Mavics sure are tough. I think they are actually more resilient than the Phantoms. Can't wait to get it ready to go again.

This is one of those situations where having a checklist would come in handy down the road. It sounds like you know what you needed to do but were excited about the shot and rushed in... slow and steady, my friend.

That's true. I just never really thought about the RTH altitude being too high, just too low. Now I'll know to set it lower or turn it off. You've got to learn sometime I guess.
Why not set it to hover instead? If in tight spaces or under a canopy, wouldn’t that be the best call?

Why not set it to hover instead? If in tight spaces or under a canopy, wouldn’t that be the best call?
Yup, that's what I'll do. By "turn off" RTH I meant setting it to hover. I don't really see any utility in setting a low RTH altitude in those circumstances, I just put that in my answer to be agreeable with the previous poster.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zantuna