DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro/Crystal Sky.....where are the brains?

Nitecapt

Reactions
I ask forgiveness in advance as I am new to this and pretty old to boot! So the learning curve is a bit slow but I could sure use some expert help.
First, if I want to do camera settings and aircraft settings (i.e. exposure and fly home min alt) can I just do that on the Crystal Sky without the controller hooked up such that when the controller is eventually hooked up four flight everything will work as adjusted? In other words, where are the settings stored? Do I need to do all these settings with everything operational including the CS, the controller and the drone on?
In other words, can anyone tell me where the operational parameters are stored? If they are stored in the Crystal Sky, I can just input my settings there at my leisure.

One more thing, I got a message on my controller saying that my positional accuracy would be more accurate if I set it up using DJI assistant. That I can easily do but it's a bit intimidating going from setting up this stuff with a Mac and then using the Android operating system. Just doesn't seem right and I have concerns that I am opening myself up to possible errors.

Finally I want to take the FAA exam. Has anyone done this? Is it difficult?

Thanks for your patience and advice in advance.
Ray

I ask forgiveness in advance as I am new to this and pretty old to boot! So the learning curve is a bit slow but I could sure use some expert help.
First, if I want to do camera settings and aircraft settings (i.e. exposure and fly home min alt) can I just do that on the Crystal Sky without the controller hooked up such that when the controller is eventually hooked up four flight everything will work as adjusted? In other words, where are the settings stored? Do I need to do all these settings with everything operational including the CS, the controller and the drone on?
In other words, can anyone tell me where the operational parameters are stored? If they are stored in the Crystal Sky, I can just input my settings there at my leisure.

One more thing, I got a message on my controller saying that my positional accuracy would be more accurate if I set it up using DJI assistant. That I can easily do but it's a bit intimidating going from setting up this stuff with a Mac and then using the Android operating system. Just doesn't seem right and I have concerns that I am opening myself up to possible errors.

Ray
Hello sir...if you are asking about 107 cert. I took the test last year and found it to be very easy...$100, 60 questions, about 60 minutes...read the study guide and go take the test immediately...it's really not that hard...good luck

Ray

The Crystalsky, will work just like an iPad, you will still need a controller. You run the djigo4 app from the Crystalsky, and thus all the settings, camera, and drone settings are done from the Crystalsky. The app is a very specific version of djigo4 only for the Crystalsky, and is a few versions behind the normal android version (This from dji). Net it's a bit buggy, especially video pixelation while flying. To do any settings changes, you need Controller, Drone and Crystalsky all hooked up and talking.

There are many versions of controller mounts for the CS and Mavic controller, right now I am using the one sold by Polarpro, and love it. It does block the screen on the Mavic controller however. It's not that hard to look over the CS however (I am using the 7.5").

Setting are stored on both the drone and CS. When you make changes to a Mavic, they should be stored on the Mavic thus if you go between iPad and CS setting will stay in place, however photo mode AEB always drops back to single.

You can't input anything on the CS unless you have a drone connected, as CS is no different than any other video device, iPhone, iPad etc.

I did not need to use DJI assistant when I setup my CS. It has wifi, enable the wifi, let the CS look for updates, it should find both firmware for the CS, possible djigo4 app updates, and updates to the no fly zone database (seems that is stored on both drone and controller).

FAA 107, study guides online, you take the test from any local pilot service/flight school.

Paul Caldwell

Excellent Paul,
So I can't just put my settings into the CS without having the Mavic Controller hooked up and based upon what you wrote, it looks like the drone itself needs to be on and connected as well. It would have been nice if DJI had allowed all the parameter data to be stored in one place like the CS or the controller and then just let all that transfer to the drone after turning it on Pre-flight. Seems a bit cumbersome but I suppose DJI has its reasons.
Thank you again for enlightening me.
Ray

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN