DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro first impressions.

KennyJr

Reactions
I just got the Mavic Pro yesterday (Saturday) and charged all batteries and RC. read the manual while that was going on. next powered everything up and updated the firmware (3 times, once for each battery). once the firmware updates were done I calibrated the IMU, gimbal, and compass, then went through making sure I had all the settings in dji go and litchi set.

The only problem I encountered was constant disconnects. this turned out to be a loose connection between the phone and USB cable or a bad cable. using one of my own cables solved that issue. My only other complaint is that my Nvidia Shield tablet is too large to fit into the phone clamps. My old Nexus 7 did so I really can't complain too much. I also wish the RC battery lasted longer, but for now will just add an external power bank to my pack.

Looking at tablet mounts for the Mavic RC I noticed that most covered the RC screen. Those that didn't were flimsy according to reviewers. Any recommendations for a good sturdy tablet mount that doesn't cover the RC screen?

This afternoon I ordered a bigger case with room for more accessories and batteries. I also printed out labels for the batteries and FAA number which I attached to one of the rear arms.

The wife and I are going to her sisters for a picnic tomorrow. She lives in the middle of nowhere (no houses, no people. Just fields and trees for miles) which will give me a chance to test the range and some of the Intelligent Flight modes.

sound like you did your home work and have done some great prep work
good luck on your future flights.
....................................................and would just like to add
The first rule in flight .... Don't fly with less then 20% battery.!

Do not fly in sports mode for any length of time (might over discharge battery)
also make sure you front advoidance sensor is set to RTH...
and loss of signal RTH.
Don't panic if you lose in flight feed with your tablet as long as you have control info you are good and follow my instruction still if you loose controller feed with your bird it should RTH
also set your RTH hieght to above nearby trees/ building hieght
I set mine to 150 ft and when RTH it will go to that hieght and then decent to a mind numbing pace as it decent to home base....cR

..............And when your start Mavic you pull the stix down and in.! (CSC)
that is the only time you should do that Unless you are touching Home base
any other time inflight will cost you .!

Reactions: WAXMAN
sound like you did your home work and have done some great prep work
good luck on your future flights.
....................................................and would just like to add
The first rule in flight .... Don't fly with less then 20% battery.!

Do not fly in sports mode for any length of time (might over discharge battery)
also make sure you front advoidance sensor is set to RTH...
and loss of signal RTH.
Don't panic if you lose in flight feed with your tablet as long as you have control info you are good and follow my instruction still if you loose controller feed with your bird it should RTH
also set your RTH hieght to above nearby trees/ building hieght
I set mine to 150 ft and when RTH it will go to that hieght and then decent to a mind numbing pace as it decent to home base....cR

Most of the prep work for the Mavic was the same as my Phantom 3 Pro. The reading was mainly to discover the differences and similarities between the two. Sports mode will probably be the least used mode. I'm more likely to use tripod mode, ActiveTrack, or one of the other Intelligent Flight modes.

RTH will be one of the things I will be testing today. With the Phantom 3 Pro RTH generally landed within 10 to 18 feet from the take off point. That's fine out at my sister-in-laws where I take off from a large field. Here at home 10 to 18 feet could put it into the trees or hedges. According to the manual the Mavic uses the downward facing cameras to remember the take off point.

Reactions: charliesRig
I'm going to continue this over in the Mavic Pro board where I should have posted this thread. Perhaps one of the moderators will move this over there where it belongs.