DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Gimbal Concerns

Skinejosh78

Reactions

Hello I'm curious to know if it is normal for the gimbal to come in contact with what I'm calling the "bulkhead" or "hood" of the body housing during start-up, as seen in the video around the 6-7 sec mark (volume).

I was told this is normal, from DJI customer support, and now my gimbal is acting strange with just under 2 hours of total flight time. In my years of flying I have not had a good experience with DJI customer support and their products so I don't have much trust or faith in them. This is my second machine after the gimbal control board stopped working on my first brand new machine.

All software and firmware is up to date. No modifications. No crashes. Kept clean and stored in dry, cool environment.

I'm starting to experience odd behavior with the gimbal in mid-flight, almost like it's "restarting" going through the motions. I'm wondering if this harsh contact during start-up is slowly killing my gimbal.

Thank you for your time with this matter.

Sincerely,

A Very Frustrated Pilot

i think the gimble is the achieles heal of the mavic for sure, its the weakest point, mine also only has a few hours of flight time and always had the cover on while stored etc, i got the gimble over load error a few times and recently the wheel error, i turned off the option to tilt past the normal range and knock on wood havent had any errors, try a gimble calibration on the dji app, it may help u

It seems like it is hitting something pretty hard, as indicated by the sound and shaking, and I don't know how many hits like that it can take before it stops working. I would definitely start a case with DJI, especially if this is a fairly new craft and the warranty is still good. Include the video so they can see and hear what is happening.

Reactions: AussiAl
Thats not normal,mine was doing that,the gimbal platform was not moving freely and was stuck up to close to the underbelly,i just turned it upside down and kinda jiggled the whole thing to free it up,gently grip the camera and insure its moving freely on those rubber band things,i have no clue how it even happened.im almost certain thats your issue.

Reactions: bobj151
I have repaired hundreds of Mavic gimbals. Some clunk when they initialize and some dont. Your camera lens ended up pointing straight after the initialization. However, after reading your post again, you are getting this problem plus gimbal random resets, it's time to get it fixed. I hope the next one you get from them is better. It will be your third.

Last edited:

Hello I'm curious to know if it is normal for the gimbal to come in contact with what I'm calling the "bulkhead" or "hood" of the body housing during start-up, as seen in the video around the 6-7 sec mark (volume).

I was told this is normal, from DJI customer support, and now my gimbal is acting strange with just under 2 hours of total flight time. In my years of flying I have not had a good experience with DJI customer support and their products so I don't have much trust or faith in them. This is my second machine after the gimbal control board stopped working on my first brand new machine.

All software and firmware is up to date. No modifications. No crashes. Kept clean and stored in dry, cool environment.

I'm starting to experience odd behavior with the gimbal in mid-flight, almost like it's "restarting" going through the motions. I'm wondering if this harsh contact during start-up is slowly killing my gimbal.

Thank you for your time with this matter.

Sincerely,

A Very Frustrated Pilot

I don't depend on support I just use YouTube and websites like this to answer my questions my experience with support of all companies has been marginal

i think the gimble is the achieles heal of the mavic for sure, its the weakest point, mine also only has a few hours of flight time and always had the cover on while stored etc, i got the gimble over load error a few times and recently the wheel error, i turned off the option to tilt past the normal range and knock on wood havent had any errors, try a gimble calibration on the dji app, it may help u
Thank you for the feedback, I'm going to start here and I will keep you updated.

I have repaired hundreds of Mavic gimbals. Some clunk when they initialize and some dont. Your camera lens ended up pointing straight after the initialization. However, after reading your post again, you are getting this problem plus gimbal random resets, it's time to get it fixed. I hope the next one you get from them is better. It will be your third.
Happy to know I can turn towards you if I decide to repair... I'm assuming this may be the ribbon cable I read so much about? You may be hearing from me!

Reactions: Former Member
Thats not normal,mine was doing that,the gimbal platform was not moving freely and was stuck up to close to the underbelly,i just turned it upside down and kinda jiggled the whole thing to free it up,gently grip the camera and insure its moving freely on those rubber band things,i have no clue how it even happened.im almost certain thats your issue.
I will look into this, as well. Thank you for the feedback!

It seems like it is hitting something pretty hard, as indicated by the sound and shaking, and I don't know how many hits like that it can take before it stops working. I would definitely start a case with DJI, especially if this is a fairly new craft and the warranty is still good. Include the video so they can see and hear what is happening.
What troubles me is that I sent this video to DJI customer support and they told me this was normal during startup. The good news is I have it on record, the bad news is I will never be able to convince them that they lied to me. Thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: AussiAl
What troubles me is that I sent this video to DJI customer support and they told me this was normal during startup. The good news is I have it on record, the bad news is I will never be able to convince them that they lied to me. Thanks for the feedback!

If its under warranty, just fill out an online repair request for warranty repair. When they get it there, they will see what it's doing.

If its under warranty, just fill out an online repair request for warranty repair. When they get it there, they will see what it's doing.
Low and behold it is under warranty, I wouldn't have guessed. I appreciate your help and will always keep you in mind for future repair of my products that are not under warranty.

Reactions: Former Member
I have repaired hundreds of Mavic gimbals. Some clunk when they initialize and some dont. Your camera lens ended up pointing straight after the initialization. However, after reading your post again, you are getting this problem plus gimbal random resets, it's time to get it fixed.

So what is the root cause of the random gimbal resets and how does one fix it?

Can you elaborate? My MPP running the latest firmware suffers from the random gimbal resets. What's the best way to diagnose the cause?

Some of these work, sometimes they dont.

1. Downres to 1080
2. Format SD card and/or change SD card
3. Update to latest version of FW
4. Do not record longer than 9 minute clips

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+