DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Gimbal Concerns

I’m fairly new to this site and relatively inexperienced compared to lots of you but studying the video carefully on the startup. Compared to mine on startup.
When my mp initiates, it goes through the same procedure as yours BUT.... when the gimbal returns to the front facing position (where you are experiencing the impact). Mine faces almost directly to the front (unlike yours which over-rotates) and looks to me like the impact could be from the camera being on an angle rather than facing ahead.
Mine does the final focus check whilst virtually facing straight ahead. (Yours does it whilst facing up in an angle, THEN returns to facing forward).
I don’t know if I can post a video on the comments section. I’ll try.
Maybe a gimbal calibration will fix it. I don’t know. Hope this helps mate.

Reactions: Skinejosh78

Hello I'm curious to know if it is normal for the gimbal to come in contact with what I'm calling the "bulkhead" or "hood" of the body housing during start-up, as seen in the video around the 6-7 sec mark (volume).

I was told this is normal, from DJI customer support, and now my gimbal is acting strange with just under 2 hours of total flight time. In my years of flying I have not had a good experience with DJI customer support and their products so I don't have much trust or faith in them. This is my second machine after the gimbal control board stopped working on my first brand new machine.

All software and firmware is up to date. No modifications. No crashes. Kept clean and stored in dry, cool environment.

I'm starting to experience odd behavior with the gimbal in mid-flight, almost like it's "restarting" going through the motions. I'm wondering if this harsh contact during start-up is slowly killing my gimbal.

Thank you for your time with this matter.

Sincerely,

A Very Frustrated Pilot
Did you switch micro SD card for a larger one? Do you see this after recording for 5 mins or longer? I also had this issue where the gimbal would look like it was calibrating itself or resetting itself. I found that the micro sd card I used was to blame. Once I switched it to a better quality card this went away

Thats not normal,mine was doing that,the gimbal platform was not moving freely and was stuck up to close to the underbelly,i just turned it upside down and kinda jiggled the whole thing to free it up,gently grip the camera and insure its moving freely on those rubber band things,i have no clue how it even happened.im almost certain thats your issue.
The gimbal is floating on the rubber band shocks but I can see now that the gimbal is very snug with that upper black plate (attached to the shocks). When I gently rotate the gimbal forward, there is friction between the gimbal and that plate. Bummer I didn't notice this earlier.

The gimbal is floating on the rubber band shocks but I can see now that the gimbal is very snug with that upper black plate (attached to the shocks). When I gently rotate the gimbal forward, there is friction between the gimbal and that plate. Bummer I didn't notice this earlier.

Your gimbal plate might be bent. Where the blue arrow is pointing is the arm that needs to be parallel to the ground.

Maybe bent gimbal plate.jpg

Last edited:
DSC_1015.JPG There is a long delay when the startup sound begins as if it misses the next position (Causing it to jump in a violent manner as shown). It should move to the next position precisely after the last note and is pointing @ the wrong angle when adjusting itself.

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents.. (or 10 cents..) when I first got mine, I was quite 'wary/concerned ' of the gimbal boot process... I think maybe mine too was hitting something ... I watched a few you tube videos and found a way to slow its boot movements down.. and I think I also disabled the extra tilt upward "feature" as well.
It was simple.. the default was too high and too fast.. So, now I have to wait an extra 2 seconds before take off... :)

Starting to have a random "wheel error" on my MPP. It makes the remote beep and display the error then goes away and everything works fine afterward. Just seems to happen at first start up of the drone too. As the other stated here, I am also very careful when storing my drone, and never had a crash too. Just started after the last app update actually. So far, I haven't found anybody talking/complaining much on Google/Youtube about this error, so still look like something new.

Some of these work, sometimes they dont.

1. Downres to 1080
2. Format SD card and/or change SD card
3. Update to latest version of FW
4. Do not record longer than 9 minute clips

I too have a brand new MPP I purchaesd just before a trip to Iceland. Unfortunately, a different gimbal issue, a slight horizontal jump when tilting down or (urually) up, ruined most of my footage. I could see it when it happened, and showed it to DJI, which they said was 'unusual'. I did have what appears to be a gimbal reset as well during one flight, where my image when haywire, flipped, and then dark (I guess the gimbal was pointing at the body). I immediately did a RTH and was able to reposition the gimbal on the way. I must say I'm not impressed with DJI's QC since all of this is right out of the box.

If I understand the above correctly, are you suggesting that we forgo our 4k drone and downres to 1080p to work around a gimbal issue?

Hello I'm curious to know if it is normal for the gimbal to come in contact with what I'm calling the "bulkhead" or "hood" of the body housing during start-up, as seen in the video around the 6-7 sec mark (volume).

I was told this is normal, from DJI customer support, and now my gimbal is acting strange with just under 2 hours of total flight time. In my years of flying I have not had a good experience with DJI customer support and their products so I don't have much trust or faith in them. This is my second machine after the gimbal control board stopped working on my first brand new machine.

All software and firmware is up to date. No modifications. No crashes. Kept clean and stored in dry, cool environment.

I'm starting to experience odd behavior with the gimbal in mid-flight, almost like it's "restarting" going through the motions. I'm wondering if this harsh contact during start-up is slowly killing my gimbal.

Thank you for your time with this matter.

Sincerely,

A Very Frustrated Pilot
I did crash mine once into a tree and noticed the gimbal mount actually popped out, which produced vibration during flight. however, once i realized it and put it back, that solved my issue. I just tried mine, and it doesn't actually come in contact.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569