DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro gimbal knocking, stuck in a loop

MML

Reactions
Pretty much out of the blue, my gimbal has started 'knocking'. It was fine until a few nights ago, when I took it out for a couple of quick test shots in low light. I didn't hit anything; it was straight up in the air and straight down again. After restarting the aircraft I noticed the knocking for the first time.

Now, every time I start, the gimbal does its little dance and knocks every 15-20 seconds and keeps doing so until the drone is powered off.
In the status bar in DJI Go, it states: "Aircraft motor overloaded/gimbal obstructed; check whether gimbal clamp is removed" (it goes without saying, it is) and in the Aircraft Status menu I see "Gimbal obstructed" followed by "restarting".
Has anyone seen this before? I've seen it mentioned in a couple of threads, but I don't recall seeing it stuck in a loop.

I updated firmware to the latest revision, to no effect. The Go app is version 4.2.16 on an iPad Mini 4.
Gimbal calibration fails with the error "keep aircraft stationary when calibrating".

Here's a quick video:

I'm grateful for any advice! It's out of Refresh, but I wondered what would happen if I submit a repair request? Would they even look at it or not?

It could be your gimbal ribbon cable gone bad. They do have a life expectancy, and it varies from drone to drone.

You could send it to DJI, and they will fix it for you, but might replace the whole gimbal.

It could be your gimbal ribbon cable gone bad. They do have a life expectancy, and it varies from drone to drone.

You could send it to DJI, and they will fix it for you, but might replace the whole gimbal.

Thanks for the reply Rob, I thought I replied already but it slipped my mind!
I would have sent it to you but unfortunately I'm the wrong side of the Atlantic! I'll file a repair request with DJI and see what happens.
Itching to get flying again now the autumn colours are starting to appear in the trees.

Reactions: Former Member
Just posting a followup in case it may be of some use to someone else. I got an email from DJI today after sending the Mavic off last week:

Dear DJI User,

After testing and diagnosing your product, DJI will provide you with the free repair service. The repair is expected to be finished in 2 to 3 working days, then the product will be sent back to you. Thank you for choosing DJI.
Remark: warranty. gimbal control board defect.
Grand Total Payment: 0

Just posting a followup in case it may be of some use to someone else. I got an email from DJI today after sending the Mavic off last week:

Dear DJI User,

After testing and diagnosing your product, DJI will provide you with the free repair service. The repair is expected to be finished in 2 to 3 working days, then the product will be sent back to you. Thank you for choosing DJI.
Remark: warranty. gimbal control board defect.
Grand Total Payment: 0

Was it under the 6 month warranty? Congrats on getting it fixed for free.

I'm not sure Rob! This particular bird was a Refresh for one that crashed last November, which made me think it has a year's warranty... what I can tell you for sure is that this unit wasn't covered by Refresh.

But, hey, I'm not complaining! :)

I'm not sure Rob! This particular bird was a Refresh for one that crashed last November, which made me think it has a year's warranty... what I can tell you for sure is that this unit wasn't covered by Refresh.

But, hey, I'm not complaining! :)

I think the gimbals are only covered under warranty by DJI for 6 months, so if they are Refreshing it, they are doing it for free. Nothing better than a freebie!

I just got my shipping notice.
I see that the serial number they're sending out is different to the bird I sent in... I'm a bit disappointed I'm not getting my own one back as it's been a rock-solid reliable flyer.

My first, original Mavic from 2 years ago had problems with randomly switching into atti mode (which is why I have the current one in the first place). The current one has been 100% reliable (up until the gimbal problem) so I'm concerned about the possibility of getting a "bad" one in return...

Hi... I just started having this same gimbal knocking problem at start up and i've never had any problems with mine either... She had to be out of an early batch too, when they were backorder for months in the beginning.

you just sent it in with an explanation and they sent a new just like that? How do you start that process? I've never had refresh which would be well outdated as would any warranty.

Thanks for the advice

I believe Care Refresh extends the warranty. That's besides ability to get two replacements when the problem is out of the scope of warranty.

you just sent it in with an explanation and they sent a new just like that? How do you start that process? I've never had refresh which would be well outdated as would any warranty.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I went to the Repair Services section of the website, then to Online Repair Request, filled in the form with a brief description and a link to the video, boxed it up and sent it off. Got the assessment a few days later, they said it was covered by warranty which surprised me as I thought it was expired. But as the poster above mentioned the Refresh may have extended the warranty. (The aircraft with the faulty gimbal was actually a Refresh replacement for my first one.) Anyway, it was free of charge, so no complaints there!

I got the ‘new’ one back yesterday, it looks brand new but I doubt it is... I’d imagine it’s a refurbished unit. It had protective plastic on the lenses, etc and looks spotless. It’s also a different serial number to the one I sent in.

I connected it to the RC and took it for a test flight, it seems fine, but it’s flying slightly to the side instead of straight, it might need a compass calibration or something.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I went to the Repair Services section of the website, then to Online Repair Request, filled in the form with a brief description and a link to the video, boxed it up and sent it off. Got the assessment a few days later, they said it was covered by warranty which surprised me as I thought it was expired. But as the poster above mentioned the Refresh may have extended the warranty. (The aircraft with the faulty gimbal was actually a Refresh replacement for my first one.) Anyway, it was free of charge, so no complaints there!

I got the ‘new’ one back yesterday, it looks brand new but I doubt it is... I’d imagine it’s a refurbished unit. It had protective plastic on the lenses, etc and looks spotless. It’s also a different serial number to the one I sent in.

I connected it to the RC and took it for a test flight, it seems fine, but it’s flying slightly to the side instead of straight, it might need a compass calibration or something.

thanks for the information ... i started that online process just to see how it was. I will note that i found a way to bypass/make the gimbal calibrate... that is, power on while holding craft pointing forward and turning on it's side while calibration occurs. not ideal but think i'll fly it till this 'fix' doesn't work.

@Thunderdrones im not very active on here but it seems you might be someone who handles repairs?

Yes I do handle repairs, but gimbal knocking is normal on some Mavics as long as the gimbal calibrates after it knocks, and gives you smooth video. A good percentage of Mavics do it after the Mavic has a bunch of flights on it.

It's nothing to worry about, but if the gimbal starts failing calibration, or you get a gimbal motor overload or obstruction, it might be time to take care of the problem.

Yes I do handle repairs, but gimbal knocking is normal on some Mavics as long as the gimbal calibrates after it knocks, and gives you smooth video. A good percentage of Mavics do it after the Mavic has a bunch of flights on it.

It's nothing to worry about, but if the gimbal starts failing calibration, or you get a gimbal motor overload or obstruction, it might be time to take care of the problem.

That was fast... i decided to direct message you with other questions as a potential customer. thanks

Hi Thunderdrones, i have the exact same problem. Last week i was flying over a hill and fly my drone on the other side. Then the rc lost connection to the drone. I waited it to come back to homepoint as it was set. But nothing returned. Then i started to climb and make the connection but the battery run out and the drone landed.

The area was full of big rocks and when i found my mp 1 propeller was broken.
Now the gimbal knocks and i cannot make calibration. It stucks at 31 or 51%.

What can i do to repair? What can be the problem.
Btw the gimbal was not knocking before.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002