DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro GPS Problems

Johndias

Reactions
Recently I have been discouraged from using my drone due to multiple issues with GPS location of the drone.
I allow the drone to properly configure and rest on the ground until GPS is properly stabilized for a good few minutes and then with 0-60 seconds of takeoff, I lose GPS signal and the drone begins to start taking off in any one direction, I am eventually able to control it and land it at a point where I have to run over and retrieve it from the ground.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this or what could be going on?
- I make sure to check the UAV forecast for the day as well to reassure there will be connection

Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire

Last edited:
Any suggestions as to how to fix this or what could be going on?
- I make sure to check the UAV forecast for the day as well to reassure there will be connection
There's no need to check UAV forecast for GPS.
There are enough GPS satellites covering the earth to ensure that you will always have enough sats wherever you are as long as your drone gets a good skyview and isn't blocked by tall buildings, trees or other obstacles.
It's not possible to work out what the issue is with your case without seeing flight data.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it shows you.

Is the recorded sat# dropping or is the AC switching out of GPS mode for another reason? Compass issue perhaps? Are you landing away from you when it happens because the AC isn’t responding to your stick inputs? You should be able to fly back to you? As Meta has suggested the flight logs will likely price very helpful in understanding what the issue is.

I lose GPS signal and the drone begins to start taking off in any one direction, I am eventually able to control it and land it at a point where I have to run over and retrieve it from the ground.

Can you explain what you mean by "take off in one direction?" When GPS signal is lost, at what speed does it start flying away from you? Is it uncontrollable after it loses GPS?

If it "takes off" in one direction, meaning it flies uncontrollably away from you at a rapid speed despite stick inputs, to me, it means that is is a compass calibration error. If the GPS were to fail, the Mavic would switch to atti mode, and just meander around. It would not "take off" rapidly in one direction.

A word of advice. Dont fly it as is. Compass errors are the #1 cause of flyaways. Only very experienced pilots can handle a situation similar to "toilet bowl effect" and land safely.

See my thread:

If it doesn't work on the ground, it's not going to fix itself in the air.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krautz