DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro or Mavic air for my situation, just can't decide!!

You’re really overthinking this.

Did you read the thread? You have not made any comments other than this one.

Rather than waste energy by spreading negativity by making a judgemental and unhelpful comment, why don't you enlighten the OP with the obvious choice?

Did you read the thread? You have not made any comments other than this one.

Rather than waste energy by spreading negativity by making a judgemental and unhelpful comment, why don't you enlighten the OP with the obvious choice?

I read the entire thread. That’s 5 minutes of my life I’ll never get back.

Back to the topic of travel kit size, I am at the airport. Here is a photo of my carry on stuff. I checked my Osprey Porter main bag. My Lowepro camera bag has mirror less camera stuff in the bottom, laptop, electronics, personal items in the top. I am using the Air Fly More Combo case as my second personal item. I am over the allowed 7kg, but both these bags are small so they never check.

For my case, if I had to do it again, I'd get the Pro. Since its my secondary carry bag, I don't think the size difference would affect me. I would use the Occusync connection stability A LOT. I would like to not have to recalibrate all the time.

I don't need but would like the Pro controller with additional useful features, and lower pitched sound. I don't really trust the flying program modes, collision detection etc etc, so I don't really car about those Air updates.

For you, I think you need to know your final gear weight and size. You will have a lot more stuff, so maybe the size is the most important thing, and you just have to accept the lack of stable range, and the annoying recalibration hassle when you move all the time.

If you carry the drone bag separate I think the size doesn't matter so much. If you are going to combine the drone and Full Frame Sony gear, then you probably need the Air. Since the drone is cheaper than 1 Sony lens, I would ignore cost and resale. Just get what you need for the next 9 months or whatever you said you trip duration is.

Here is my minimalist carry on.

IMG_20180611_104717.jpg

@lecomputer

It all comes down to what you need, if you won't fly over 1km you won't have issues with any of the 2.

Here's 1 example of flight I did yesterday, I live on the mountain a tourist place which is very populated and dense for it's size.

Anyway I got the Air combo since my priority is size and camera, I've also read a ton of reviews, saw literally all comparisons on youtube etc. So my decision was do I need range + flight time or camera + portability ?

The answer to this brings me back.to yesterday range test I did. ( p.s. manually switched to 2.4 Wi-Fi due range )

So I started flight from around 850m sea level and flew a little over.1.5km in distance over dense populated area with woods + houses + coffee bars. While I was flying away I was ascending up so increased close to 200m height and when i reached my destination ( cousin house ) I started going down, when I descend about 15m above ground at his place ( he is close to 1000m sea level v.s. 850 where I was ) my signal started to lose it's strength so I had to adjust antennas towards my MA until I went down on height I had no issues, once I went back up to around 30m ( around 180m from base point) signal was good again.

Anyway my point is flying MA up until 1.5km in dense populated area for me is good unless you want to fly lower to the ground.

I also flew 1920m in open arena ( nature ) with 0 issues in low populated area and could've gone further... saw no point so I went back.

To me for the purpose I bought MA fly more combo it does everything i wanted it to do which is around 500m Max distance with average 100m height and flight time is okay for me.since I get around 50mins total flight time with 3 batteries landing them with 20% left average.

To sum it up for me MA is good with signal anywhere up to 1.5km MAX 1km easy ( populated ) 2km+ easy on open area. ( bought it with intentions of 500m max )

Anyway this are the questions you should ask yourself.

- how far will you fly ? If you need more then 1-1.5km dense populated area distance then you should go with the MPP

- is extra flight time crucial? If so the MPP

- if portability and camera are ? Then MA

Either way there's really no bad choice with the MA or MP they're both great drones and you'll be happy with any of them only reasons I went with the MA instead of MPP ( after testing both ) is:

- MA is smaller
- Has better camera

If you care for sensors it has backward also ( kinda useful flying in the woods )
And some other gimmicky stuff.

If MPP had same camera as MA I'd gone for it since it can also fit on my scooter.

One of personal reasons I went with MA also is the ND/PL Filters ...turning the filter around seams nicer then just sticking it in and out.

Btw MA is loud, if you'll be at 100+m height isn't much of an issue in open places, in populated with people around can't be really heard that easy if hovering.

Also regarding Compas calibration ...did it only when I bought it never again.

You have had no problem at those distances, however there are other users that do have disconnection issues due to the WiFi connection.

I had a disconnect 2 days ago at 300ft. Sometimes i can go over 2000ft. It's totally location dependent, and I'm finding in developing nations the WiFi space is dirty.

@lecomputer

It all comes down to what you need, if you won't fly over 1km you won't have issues with any of the 2.

Here's 1 example of flight I did yesterday, I live on the mountain a tourist place which is very populated and dense for it's size.

Anyway I got the Air combo since my priority is size and camera, I've also read a ton of reviews, saw literally all comparisons on youtube etc. So my decision was do I need range + flight time or camera + portability ?

The answer to this brings me back.to yesterday range test I did. ( p.s. manually switched to 2.4 Wi-Fi due range )

So I started flight from around 850m sea level and flew a little over.1.5km in distance over dense populated area with woods + houses + coffee bars. While I was flying away I was ascending up so increased close to 200m height and when i reached my destination ( cousin house ) I started going down, when I descend about 15m above ground at his place ( he is close to 1000m sea level v.s. 850 where I was ) my signal started to lose it's strength so I had to adjust antennas towards my MA until I went down on height I had no issues, once I went back up to around 30m ( around 180m from base point) signal was good again.

Anyway my point is flying MA up until 1.5km in dense populated area for me is good unless you want to fly lower to the ground.

I also flew 1920m in open arena ( nature ) with 0 issues in low populated area and could've gone further... saw no point so I went back.

To me for the purpose I bought MA fly more combo it does everything i wanted it to do which is around 500m Max distance with average 100m height and flight time is okay for me.since I get around 50mins total flight time with 3 batteries landing them with 20% left average.

To sum it up for me MA is good with signal anywhere up to 1.5km MAX 1km easy ( populated ) 2km+ easy on open area. ( bought it with intentions of 500m max )

Anyway this are the questions you should ask yourself.

- how far will you fly ? If you need more then 1-1.5km dense populated area distance then you should go with the MPP

- is extra flight time crucial? If so the MPP

- if portability and camera are ? Then MA

Either way there's really no bad choice with the MA or MP they're both great drones and you'll be happy with any of them only reasons I went with the MA instead of MPP ( after testing both ) is:

- MA is smaller
- Has better camera

If you care for sensors it has backward also ( kinda useful flying in the woods )
And some other gimmicky stuff.

If MPP had same camera as MA I'd gone for it since it can also fit on my scooter.

One of personal reasons I went with MA also is the ND/PL Filters ...turning the filter around seams nicer then just sticking it in and out.

Btw MA is loud, if you'll be at 100+m height isn't much of an issue in open places, in populated with people around can't be really heard that easy if hovering.

Also regarding Compas calibration ...did it only when I bought it never again.

If yoire flying mostly
Hi Guys,

I'm new here, and I apologise for posting something that is similar to many other threads. I've watched every comparison and read a thousand opinions, but I'm still stuck. I feel I understand the differences between the drones well enough but haven't seen them in real life.

I travel a lot, so portability is very important which led me to wanting the Air. But I also want to fly inconspicuously and everyone says the Air is much more of a disturbing noise, especially compared to the Pro Platinum.

I think I can live with the WiFi, although peoples opinions on its functionality vary greatly. I prefer the non focussing camera, the gimbal mounting and the size obviously. I like the idea of the quick shots too.

So I guess the main appeal of the pro is that its quieter, but is that enough? I dont think I will get to test them both as I live in the middle of nowhere and will be ordering online.

I'd be going with the Air for sure if the price difference was bigger, but you seem to be able to get them for a similar price. I was also thinking that when the Mavic Pro 2 comes out, surely the older Mavic Pros will drop in price drastically, but the Air I imagine will hold its price much better wont it?

Can anyone give me any advice?

OK thanks, thats good to know. As I will be away in foreign countries, mostly Asia, I wonder if my warranty or if I got DJI care would cover me whilst away. Thats one other thing about the Air, it seems with the new design it is less prone to damage with small accidents or knocks.

I havent looked into the exact differences between the Pro and Pro Platinum yet, but I need to.

Think you'll find the Care package only covers you in the country you register it in.

If noise is your biggest concern, unless you're flying exclusively in built up areas, don't worry about it. I fretted over it for weeks and when I first put my Air up I found myself wondering what all the fuss had been about. If you're at all concerned on a particular flight, just take off from somewhere a bit further away from what it is you want to video - by the time anyone works out its you and where you are, it will all be over :)

Distance is a subjective thing. For me I was surprised at (1) how quickly it went out of VLOS, and (2) even in an area I am very familiar with, how easy it is to become disoriented amd start flying off in the wrong direction if you aren't paying close attention to location - tracking it on a small phone screen when you're out of VLOS needs concentration depending on your geography.

But as an amateur photographer used to Nikon and Canon DSLRs I have found the Air's video capabilities quite astonishing for its size and weight. Just jump off the fence one way or the other - analysis paralysis means you're missing valuable airtime. You'll be glad you did, whatever you do.

Reactions: Stevezphoto
You have had no problem at those distances, however there are other users that do have disconnection issues due to the WiFi connection.

I had a disconnect 2 days ago at 300ft. Sometimes i can go over 2000ft. It's totally location dependent, and I'm finding in developing nations the WiFi space is dirty.

Yeah that why I said I had no issues.
P.s. my country is literally 3rd world country lol.

Reactions: Stevezphoto
Yeah I'm a photo guy. Fuji just released a new body with in body image stabilization for video, but I'm not sure how it compares. In the past Fuji was lagging behind in the video arena.

For my main bag I am using the Osprey Porter 46. I LOVE this bag! Been using for 4 years its tough. The backpack straps store away when you check it. It can be legal carry on size if you don't stuff it full. It also can expand and compress a lot depending on how you pack it . Locking zippers, laptop pocket, etc. If that's the size you need I highly recommend, its pretty cheap too, I see them on sale for 80-90 sometimes.

My Lowepro photo bag is super small, no way it would work for what you are carrying :) I'm using the DJI bag included in the Fly More kit for the drone. Its small enough that it fits in the backpack part of NY photo bag, or I can carry it separate.

Thanks I'll check that back out. I think I prefer having a 'normal' bag over a dedicated photgraphy back, as I pack different things most of the time and it makes more sense!

Hi Guys,

I'm new here, and I apologise for posting something that is similar to many other threads. I've watched every comparison and read a thousand opinions, but I'm still stuck. I feel I understand the differences between the drones well enough but haven't seen them in real life.

I travel a lot, so portability is very important which led me to wanting the Air. But I also want to fly inconspicuously and everyone says the Air is much more of a disturbing noise, especially compared to the Pro Platinum.

I think I can live with the WiFi, although peoples opinions on its functionality vary greatly. I prefer the non focussing camera, the gimbal mounting and the size obviously. I like the idea of the quick shots too.

So I guess the main appeal of the pro is that its quieter, but is that enough? I dont think I will get to test them both as I live in the middle of nowhere and will be ordering online.

I'd be going with the Air for sure if the price difference was bigger, but you seem to be able to get them for a similar price. I was also thinking that when the Mavic Pro 2 comes out, surely the older Mavic Pros will drop in price drastically, but the Air I imagine will hold its price much better wont it?

Can anyone give me any advice?

if one of your needs is to be inconspicuous, then the answer is the pro or platinum. The air is much, MUCH more noticeable and obnoxious sounding. I have had both, and I ended up selling my air for the pro. My friend has had both, and he ended up selling his air for a platinum after seeing my pro. You also cannot beat the pro/platinums ocusync transmission. It is light years ahead of the airs wifi. The pro is still extremely portable, and has better flight time. I recommend the pro. Of course, this is all just me. Opinions may vary:D

Had a MP, then bought a MA because of the cool new features and its increased portability. Plan was to sell the MP. In the end, the MA got sold. It's ****. Trust me. MP is superior. The wifi on MA is just horrible. It's like trying to reach a luftwaffe squadron from 3000 miles in 1942.

Had a MP, then bought a MA because of the cool new features and its increased portability. Plan was to sell the MP. In the end, the MA got sold. It's ****. Trust me. MP is superior. The wifi on MA is just horrible. It's like trying to reach a luftwaffe squadron from 3000 miles in 1942.
What if he won't fly long distances ? You know when you call something " superior" it's supposed to be superior at everything not 2 things.

If range and flight time are priority of course MPP is superior.

For instance I'm flying average 500-700m for my photography / videography, the photography / video are my priority ( p.s flew 2km on CE in dense populated area just for fun and guess what no real issues that I didn't cause due height, now I'm at FCC ), would you call or recommend me MPP as superior then ;) ?
What if I'm flying between a lot of branches back and forth, is it superior then ? Or perhaps I use ND/PL filters a lot is it also " far superior "?

I for a fact know a professional wedding photographer in person who bought together with me MA fly more combo because we got price discount on buying 2.
Guess what he had before MA ? Let me tell you MP. And guess why he bought MA ? You got it ! Camera + much better design for filters.

So saying something is " superior " is extremely subjective depending on the needs ;)

Btw did I mention I have tested both MPP and AIR and went for the AIR based on my needs. Especially the DR advantage + F/2.8 v.s. F/2.2

Btw out loud thinking ...7km range on MP ...flew 7km, enough battery to get back ...flew back ...landed ...did nothing, haven't made a video or shots because of basically range test and not enough battery for shots or video ...the point? ...

The point is it ALL depends what you want from your device...to me thats features and camera...sure better range and flight time are welcome but I am flying far 1 out of 20 flights simply when I want to fly far and do nothing, other 19 times I'm making shots...so clearly my needs are camera + I travel a lot with the motorcycle so portability would be number 2, if I'd like to travel with the car obvious choice would be phantom 4 pro.

P.s. let's not start another flame war just trying to be objective and pinpoint this to the NEEDS and not another range test lol. Bottom line is there's no wrong with either of these 2 it's just matter of what are priorities.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, you see its very hard to decide just as you laid it out!!

I do travel a lot, so won't be using it in the middle of nowhere. To be honest it will vary a lot where I use it, but of course I want to be as discrete as possible. I feel like maybe I need to go to a big city and look at them both to see the size difference. But I travel with carry on luggage and need just a rucksack with my paltop, camera equipment and preferably the drone, so I'm not sure if the Mavic Pro will be too large for this.

But what do you think about the Mavic Air price holding up better than the Mavic Pro when the Pro 2 comes out? Surely when the pro 2 comes out it will drop teh price of the original Mavic pro the most. The Air is still a fairly new product and a different beast, so I thought it might be a better buy now if I later wanted to sell it and get the Mavic Pro 2?

Thanks
I walk miles with my pro in a Lowepro droneguard BP 200 rucksack, and there's a bigger version, the 250 and if you want quiet, get the platinum. In terms of bulk and even weight, there's not going to be an enormous difference, I use the BP 200 so as to limit what I can carry.

Another feature of the MP is the exposure wheel; especially with the histogram displayed. With the Air and Spark you can adjust the exposure through the app, but the wheel is much more convenient.

Thanks I'll check that back out. I think I prefer having a 'normal' bag over a dedicated photgraphy back, as I pack different things most of the time and it makes more sense!
Evecase DSLR Camera Laptop Canvas Backpack with Rain Cover
This is the one that I use. Carries everything i need:Mavic Pro, Phantom 4 charger, 5.5" Crystal Sky, 4 spare batteries, 4hawks Raptor XR antenna(laptop sized), nd filters, and a whole kit of a Nikon D3400. Works very well and the only thing to indicate that it is a camera bag is the tripod on the bottom.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan