DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro picture quality

adbeal

Reactions
I've had my mavic pro for about a year now. I've mainly used it for video. I recently started taking a lot of photos and they don't seem to be very good quality. My cell phone takes better pictures. Is there anything I can do I improve quality of photos and has anyone else experienced this?

Reactions: dewster
You didn't tell us what format you are shooting in.

If .jpg, then the photo is highly compressed, good for small to medium web work but not much else. If you're shooting .dng (raw) then you need to post process in a program such as Photoshop or Lightroom to maximize the information you captured.

The Mavic Pro is capable of producing some top notch images if used correctly.

you be disapointed if your comparing the 13MP camera on your mavic to your phones 20 MP
Yes Like Robert M say shot in RAW
might adjust you camera Sharpness and color
I personally shot Videos in 4K and then if I pass something that looks interesting I will PicK a still Shot out of the Video

(capture shot) in 4k Video
By Grabbing off my Computer in "Post Editing"
( low rent style)
1 Play your Video using (VLC) Free app
2 pause you Video & capture Picture ( Ctrl & P)
3 Open ( MSPaint)
4 Paste
now you can Crop,Resize,

Another tip, if using a good photo editor:
Shoot several exposures at different angles, then stitch them together in post for a "wide angle" shot, or panorama, at much higher resolution than a single shot.
I have several "exhibition" quality images taken this way.
Works wonders.

I'm using jpg. Yes I have noticed when I take a frame out of a 4K video the picture is better but my normal jpg pictures are not as clear as the one posted earlier.

Adbeal. Another trick is to stack photos. Use the Multiple mode and choose 7, take two or three shots, this will give you 14-21 pictures. In photoshop, go to the bottom, go to scripts, then "Load files into Stack", After selecting your photos, select the two options at the bottom for alignment, etc. This will process all the photos into one. Compare the results with one of the single photos and see if this will help your quest.

DNG, RAW is the way to go. I also tend to mess with the manual settings as well instead of Auto. (At times I get a blown out sky in Auto) Using ND/Polarizer filter dramatically improved my shots also.
Quite a few videos on YouTube for "good camera settings" - This site is not bad. The Best Camera Settings for Mavic Pro - UnlimiteDrone

I will admit also, some video I have taken in 4K - maybe an angle I totally missed in grabbing a still photo - I was able to screen grab that in FULL SCREEN (either QuickTime Player or VLC) and clean it up a bit in Photoshop, Lightroom.

Reactions: Imtnbike
Here’s the deal.

Your cell phone makes all the decisions for you.

The Mavic does not, and requires input and decisions. This gives you a lot more power and room for creativity, potentially giving you a much better image.

You have to be willing to work at it to extract that potential.

raw shooting, manual settings, bracketing photos can really get you some nice shots. learning lightroom ultimately will help you get the polish on your photos that you're looking for. I'm pleased with the results I'm getting, especially from the AEB mode.

@ adbeal - As others have said you will never get significantly better results than a good mobile phone if using jpeg but with effort you can get results significantly better if using RAW. These will initially appear flat but when processed will come to life. The advantage is that you can alter many of the camera settings after the event whereas these are fixed when you take the jpeg. You can alter the white balance to make the image more accurate and to some extent change the exposure. Then you can do things like deepen blacks, enhance specific colours, even make adjustments to small areas of the image. The only thing you have to make certain is that you start with perfect focus. Even so, when you have brought the image to life you can then sharpen it to suit the type of screen it will be viewed on. At first all of this will be time consuming but when you have developed your own work flow you can power through the shots and just spend more time on the occasional real 'keepers'.

I would suggest Lightroom but if that is too expensive then maybe try Gimp (free) which can open and edit raw images.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121