DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro piloting from indoor through a glass window is it possible?

I set my mavic up on a little blanket on my back porch, go inside, and fly from my living room.
So far, due to weather and other circumstances, that's the only way I have flown it. It works great, but my range seems limited to me. I've never been more than a mile and a half or so. Most probably this is because I live in the woods, down in a valley. No complaints.

I'm very careful to make sure I'm in GPS mode before I take off, and that the RTH has been updated. I've had one RTH when I lost signal, and I consider setting this up properly an absolute necessity. Get the altitude right. If the RTH hight is too low, the mavic may encounter an obstacle. If it's too high, it may have to fight winds that are too strong for it. Make sure it's gonna do what you want it to do if it encounters an obstacle.

Good luck!

When I set RTH and I'm in 4th floor, Mavic register also how high is my open balcony? For ex 20mt building, I'm in the top of my building

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

At the end of RTH, the Mavic drops vertically to its home point. Therefore, wherever you launch from needs to be open to the sky. THIS IS VITAL! Launching this thing horizontally from under some kind of overhang will make it hard for the mavic to get GPS lock, and if it has a RTH it will land on whatever it encounters when it descends vertically.

It sounds like you may be doing this in a congested area, such as a city. If that is the case, there are other problems with interference that you might consider. Others here are better equipped to help you with that.

Reactions: EVOLUTIONMavic
If the balcony seems like a risky place to land, you could set a new home point after takeoff. Immediately fly the Mavic to a spot that would be ideal for an emergency landing and set the home point there. At least if something goes wrong, you know it will land itself in a safe spot and you can go collect it from there. But remember, Precision Landing won't work on the newly set home point, so this would only be suitable if there's a nice open spot for the emergency landing.

Reactions: EVOLUTIONMavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmgde