DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Platinum as an instrument of work

macoman

Reactions
I am thinking in making my mavic pro platinum the first drone that I am considering as an instrument of work. I need to take the 107 certification to apply for jobs. Anyone have experience in it? Do you think the Mavic is a versatile drone for jobs?

If purchasing ONLY for commercial jobs, the P4 Pro is better. If for personal use where portability is also required, then you can certainly get by with a MP but you'll have to learn how to squeeze as much as you can out of the smaller camera, which means learning to process DNG files and being more adept at video recording settings and post processing.

If purchasing ONLY for commercial jobs, the P4 Pro is better. If for personal use where portability is also required, then you can certainly get by with a MP but you'll have to learn how to squeeze as much as you can out of the smaller camera, which means learning to process DNG files and being more adept at video recording settings and post processing.
I have a macpro with final cut pro on it. I know how to do post video editing production on it. I have three more drones in my fleet. The Mavic is not my first drone.

I have a macpro with final cut pro on it. I know how to do post video editing production on it. I have three more drones in my fleet. The Mavic is not my first drone.
Then you'll be fine with the MP. If you are considering using it for photos and/or video for general use, most clients will be more than satisfied with the quality of output. I've seen some fantastic video come from a MP (with proper capture settings, editing, LUTs, etc). You'll definitely need ND filters. As an aside, you'll not get much additional benefit from buying the Platinum over the Pro, the Pro being a much better buy.

Reactions: macoman
I use the MPP almost daily in my line of work (over 1220 quad hours on log to date, lol). I am a TREC Licensed Home Inspector. Many roof structures are too steep, or too old to traverse manually. My MPP lets me do a 12 minute roof covering survey and inspection, the same as if I were walking the roof. The other day, I did a commercial building with a 12,000 sq. ft. built-up flat roof and 22 for mounted HVAC units. The MPP was an incredible help with all that space up there!

Additionally, I usually take a set of 5 basic aerials of the location, and most times the real estate company will buy them from me (post-processed for about an hour) for about $100-200 depending on location and size of RE offering. I have 5 drones, and the one I go to daily is the MPP, so I would recommend it for all but cinematic type shoots.

PART 107 - I would definitely become certified. It's worth it in credibility, and in long term business success planning. Just my 2 cents worth.

Have fun!
Kevin

I use the MPP almost daily in my line of work (over 1220 quad hours on log to date, lol). I am a TREC Licensed Home Inspector. Many roof structures are too steep, or too old to traverse manually. My MPP lets me do a 12 minute roof covering survey and inspection, the same as if I were walking the roof. The other day, I did a commercial building with a 12,000 sq. ft. built-up flat roof and 22 for mounted HVAC units. The MPP was an incredible help with all that space up there!

Additionally, I usually take a set of 5 basic aerials of the location, and most times the real estate company will buy them from me (post-processed for about an hour) for about $100-200 depending on location and size of RE offering. I have 5 drones, and the one I go to daily is the MPP, so I would recommend it for all but cinematic type shoots.

PART 107 - I would definitely become certified. It's worth it in credibility, and in long term business success planning. Just my 2 cents worth.

Have fun!
Kevin
Wow, interesting background about your work and job with the machine. The MPP seen to be a tough drone to fly and inspect for so many hours. Appreciated the input and definitely will consider getting the 107 certification to start some kind of a secondary job, most likely on the weekends. Thanks.

Took my 107 test over a year ago and just submitted it and have my temp certificate as of 2weeks ago. Perm. Cert comes in mail within 2months. At this time not planning on using it but if things ever slow down at work might do it as a side job.

Wow, interesting background about your work and job with the machine. The MPP seen to be a tough drone to fly and inspect for so many hours. Appreciated the input and definitely will consider getting the 107 certification to start some kind of a secondary job, most likely on the weekends. Thanks.
I've only used the MPP when inspecting for about 200 hours. The rest was with my Inspire 1 or 2. I like the MPP FAR better for inspections as it is portable, small footprint, and MUCH less invasive in upscale neighborhoods. Many buyers enjoy watching me inspect the roof of their house. They usually ask a few questions, but mostly, they just enjoy watching us inspect with the drone.

You probably won't get much work requiring video because big companies hire pro teams with pimp drones for commercials so I would not worry too much about you're video quality.
What you will get is mostly real estate agents and sometimes construction companies requiring still images so the MPP will be fine especially as it is so quiet.

You probably won't get much work requiring video because big companies hire pro teams with pimp drones for commercials so I would not worry too much about you're video quality.
What you will get is mostly real estate agents and sometimes construction companies requiring still images so the MPP will be fine especially as it is so quiet.
I agree. Definitely hard to break into major $$$ unless you have a killer setup, a specialty setup, and/or you know some serious players in certain industries. I do believe that more avenues will open up, however, as with almost any serious money, it will probably require that one is extremely competent, uniquely trained, etc.

My measly $6K per year isn't going to pay the bills, lol. Now, as a part of my inspection business, the drone is REALLY enhancing my abilities, so indirectly, I WILL improve on my $$$ per hour for drone services. But yes, just to buy a drone and try to make a living with it...well, it's probably not going to be an easy road. But nothing I've ever done that was worth $$$$$ was ever easy, lol.

Yes, do it while you still economically can.
There are more quality videos uploaded each day than it is possible to watch 24-7.
A Canadian friend who used to get steady work from a large real estate company just lost his income because the company bought their own Inspire as it is 100% tax deductible as advertising whereas "Contractors" like him were not. Plus the job security is tenuous when so many people are entering the market wanting to do the same thing as you do and offering cheaper rates.
So many people want to make money out of flying their drone that the market will offer little money in the future so go for it now, these are the good old days.

Reactions: vkm083185
Yes, do it while you still economically can.
There are more quality videos uploaded each day than it is possible to watch 24-7.
A Canadian friend who used to get steady work from a large real estate company just lost his income because the company bought their own Inspire as it is 100% tax deductible as advertising whereas "Contractors" like him were not. Plus the job security is tenuous when so many people are entering the market wanting to do the same thing as you do and offering cheaper rates.
So many people want to make money out of flying their drone that the market will offer little money in the future so go for it now, these are the good old days.
I see drone-related monetizing splitting into 3 distinct categories:

1) Drone Sales and Direct-Related Business

The manufacture, marketing, sales, and repair/upgrade markets will only get stronger as time goes by. Research, design, manufacturing, and testing will require more professionals as time goes by. New products require marketing and sales forces; and the burgeoning repair and upgrade market can and will provide both industry professionals and Mom and Pop shops the chance to make some profits.

2) Drone-Related Professional Occupations

NOT to say that a person who is independent is not a professional. Many are. But for the purpose of this "flog" (LOL) I am using the term to apply to those who have special training and skills in areas such as Surveying, Agricultural Mapping and Studies, SAR, thermography, technical inspections (think pipelines in Alaska), etc. In my opinion, this market will provide excellent opportunity for career growth using sUAVs. I am currently in this category with my drone as a supplement to my Inspection Service.

3) Niche-Related sUAV Jobs

These might include special event videos, beach-type businesses (close to vacation hot spots), and a few other niche categories.

For purposes of this reply only (and at the risk of sounding controversial, lol), I am placing Real Estate Photography in this category. Here are my reasons...

With the exception of a few really savvy (and skilled) pilots, most people doing RE Photography are primarily drone pilots who are (secondly) trying to produce professional quality stills and video. Photography remains an art as well as a skill. After the new of having an aerial on your RE listing wears off publicly, the market will settle in, and I think at that time we will see what we always do when a trend levels out...professionals still doing most of the work, with a few trying to make some $ around the edges.

As an owner of two successful companies, and basically lifetime entrepreneur, I still hold with the concept that those who will be successful must excel in all aspects of the product, service, and industry they represent. They must be well versed and consistently vigilant to keep up with industry and market changes.

As well, if you want to own your own successful business (key word being successful here, lol), my advice is to become extremely **** about the bottom line, and more importantly, how to make that bottom line increase in margin. That will take serious time and effort beyond just "flight skill". And that will separate the true successful business entrepreneurs from those wanting to make $$$ by just being a "good pilot".

FOR THE "PART-TIMER"

As the industry matures, and professions within the sUAV universe become more technically driven, I believe many more really good pilots will fall into this category. There is no downside to making some $$$ as a part-time, fun-money generator, etc. Using drones as an income assist will be a valid option for many, I think. I, myself, have been doing this over the past 2 years especially. Even now, my primary job isn't "flying a drone". However, my drone assists in my providing a more professional product to clients all over Texas.

Sorry for the long response. I said all this to say...I agree. This is the "golden age". After the fad dies, there will still be a great sUAV industry that many can take part in. But it will require what every other industry requires. Training, dedication, hard work, and commitment to succeed. Just my 2000 cents worth, lol!

Drone on Everyone!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661