DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Platinum - Carrying a payload?

FaceAcheNZ

Reactions
I posted this on the DJI forums, but as i'm also a member here i thought i'd post here too.

I work for a Regional Council here in NZ, and one of the things we've startred doing is using drones for field-work; surveying farms, river stop-banks, pump stations, culverts etc. For this we have got a couple of Phantom 4's, but they're turning out to be quite cumbersome in terms of portability, so have also got a couple of Mavic Pro Platinum's.

We've recently had our Environmental Monitoring division express interest in using drones, specifically to take water samples of the rivers and streams in the area. Their normal water sample size is 1000ml (or 1 kilo in weight). Could i get some thoughts on whether the Mavic Pro would be capable of carrying such a weight? If so, what sort of gear/harnesses are available?

Or would it be more suited to the Phantom 4? Would really appreciate some advice! Should i also post this in the Phantom forum?

Based on this video, I'd stick to the Phantom for lifting 1 kilo.

Not sure what type of harnesses are out there, but make sure you do some testing like this guy did: a few feet up on dry land. Stability gets real squirrely if the payload is dangling and off-balance, even on the Phantom.

Last edited:
Cheers FlyGuy - it would definitely be dangling, as it would have to get into the water and fill up, so wouldn't be able to get the drone too close to the surface. But the Phantom would lift a kilo without issue?

Cheers FlyGuy - it would definitely be dangling, as it would have to get into the water and fill up, so wouldn't be able to get the drone too close to the surface. But the Phantom would lift a kilo without issue?

This video shows a 3 lb payload lift, so a kilo shouldn't be a problem. Again, test, test, test - battery life and handling will be very different so know what you're getting into! :)

Keep us posted!

^ Legend, thanks heaps - gives me a bit to go on. Will definitely keep you posted.

You might be better off with a Yuneec Hexa, which would have no issues with a Kilo, however they are a much larger and harder to transport unit.

One of the key things for us, is going to be ease of transport and speed of deployment. For example, if there is a chemical spill on a river, we need to be able to get a water sample quickly before the current carries the polluting substance away. Same for our Harbourmasters, who will have the drone with them on a small patrol vessel - Phantom is about as big as we're able to go.

We also need to have a relatively standardised setup, which is why we've gone for DJI drones (the common setup procedures, on/off process, the DJI Go app, etc) - they are being used by a number of different staff members, so we need each of them to be confident with the device. We don't want to be in a situation where someone says "Oh i can't take that drone, i'm not familiar with it, and have never used it before".

Anyway, i have a both a Mavic Pro Platinum and a Phantom 4 available to me, so will do some testing with both.

Reactions: FlyGuy8675309
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada