DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Platinum is an indulgence

Ivan Zucconi

Reactions
Hi all.
Let me first introduce myself as an old fart that use to fly for many years and long ago ( 25 years ago last fly) with big scale RC helicopters. I was pretty good but mounting just a photo camera with servo to take the shot ( and lucky if the chopper was pointing at what I was wanting was an epic mission. Few weeks ago I bumped into DJI site, (why I do not know) and without say anything to my other half ( old fart too ) I ordered the Pro Platinum. Well, arrived in 3 days time and note, I live in the Scottish highlands not too far away from Nessie...
unboxed and said wow... just wow. got all in the most beginner fart mode as possible, took it out, set up a plank in the gravel as a MINE airport and fired up that little moskito ( compared to what I used to fly, included those very primitive FUTABA gyros. Well, I am speechless. just speechless. Flew the day in beginner mode just to refresh my old fingertips and day next got out of beginner mode and into normal, no, not sport mode yet like many of you may think, remember, I am an old fart.... today day 3 with the little moskito and wow, just wow. I am happy to say I am an old delighted FART... have a good day all from the Scottish highlands. Papabear

The Mavic Pro Platinum is a very easy to use drone... Even my 11 years old daughter can fly it without issues.

Be warned its very addictive and also it means having a empty wallet but enjoy your new found hobby, like you I also flew rc scale models years ago still have some now but not used now, I then discovered DJI phantom 1 when it first came out and just had to get one straight away, since then I have collected TBS Discovery Pro, converted the DJI Phantom 1 to a Phantom 1.5 , (Yuneec Q500 4k now sold) , Yuneec Typhoon H, and recently DJI Mavic Platinum Combo, whilst I enjoy flying all of them the Mavic is now my preferred go to quad, you wont regret your purchase its easy to carry and quiet in use.

Hobby that need fats wallets... cheers for your reply. As an old style models builder and flyer I was used to spend little fortunes on my big scales taking in account family needs first. Now kids flew the nest... So why not enjoy the £££. Here's a question. I was reading here and there about the polarpro phone support feedbacks and I have one just arrived, so with my poor knowledge of how the transmission signals spread out, the best signal is achieved to have the antennas as much as possible to 90 degrees to the drone, so is that a big issue that holder??I mean I tend to face what I am controlling all the time and the antennas facing the drone and not facing away. What do you think?

Last edited:
Very scenic! You have some beautiful settings for drone flying and aerial photography. Do you also have the DJI Goggles for flying over all of that beauty? If not, well open that wallet. :)

If you decide to have goggles just be aware that the CAA require you to have a spotter with you whilst flying so they can keep a 360 field of view observation around your drone and warn you of any inpending danger, and its also still line of sight with goggles or without them whilst everyone has their own opinions its best to know the rules of whatever country you are flying in, by abiding with the rules will hopefully will stop the authority's bring out more draconian rules to stop us flying for pleasure/hobby.

And yes very scenic part of Scotland you reside in and very lucky, tip for any newcomers to flying your quad always keep a spare set of props with you, more so if you intend flying close to any trees or vegetation.

I bet I'm an older "old fart". Had my platinum about a week and already off to APPLE to see about an iPad to assist in flying her. Fun!

Incidentally, I'm a Texan who loves Scotland. Great country. Great history. Great people!

I've had my platinum about 7-8 weeks now best decision I made was to get a ipad mini 4 to go with it, also purchased a monitor mount and a anker cable this is just so much better than using my samsung galaxy s7 edge. I found the monitor mount was a lot better holding the ipad mini 4 rather than fixing it in the controller arms.

Reactions: Mcknight30
What monitor mount did you end up with? I just purchased a Mini 4 and was hoping it would fit in the controller without having to buy an adapter.

Wow, stunning scenery and sunlight, again. Some great whitewater in there.

May I ask, where do you find the background music? I struggle to find instrumental work that pairs nicely with aerial footage.

Part 2 of the Glen Affric.
As described in the opening of the thread I am very new with mavic but old on controller sticks. My only humble advice to new users without previous rc experience is practice,practice and more practice. When I film close to vegetation I put props guards on, I like that view of sweet grass gently pushed away. All sensors off and only sticks control. Yes it is a wee machine packed with loads of tech but I like it raw when filming nature. My challenge in this 2 videos were the wind season here in Scotland, going from full sun to clouds making a revolution on the camera thinking of logic. I like videos at his most natural way, just as i have seen. No post mod, just chop and stitch.
Have you all a great day.

Part 2 of the Glen Affric.
As described in the opening of the thread I am very new with mavic but old on controller sticks. My only humble advice to new users without previous rc experience is practice,practice and more practice. When I film close to vegetation I put props guards on, I like that view of sweet grass gently pushed away. All sensors off and only sticks control. Yes it is a wee machine packed with loads of tech but I like it raw when filming nature. My challenge in this 2 videos were the wind season here in Scotland, going from full sun to clouds making a revolution on the camera thinking of logic. I like videos at his most natural way, just as i have seen. No post mod, just chop and stitch.
Have you all a great day.
That is an awesome video! Good job, loved it.
SteveP55

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura