DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Platinum versus Mavic Air (1)

jarnie

Reactions
Hello

I had made up my mind and just about to purchase a Mavic Air (1) COMBO when I noticed the same retailer advertising the Mavic Pro Platinum (not a combo) for the SAME PRICE.

I think I know as much as there is to know about the Mavic Air (1) but know little about the Pro Platinum so checked out Youtube videos and did find a couple of comparison videos but thought I would would here with owners of the Pro Platinum.
I realise the Air combo comes with 3 batteries and the Pro Platinum only comes with one battery but someone suggested that the Pro Platinum has a battery 'life' of around 30 minutes and the Air around 20 minutes and so the need to change battery is minimal.
A disadvantage of the Pro what I noticed is that when it detects an obstacle it will not attempt to fly around it but just stop and hover whereas the Air will attempt to fly around the obstacle.
Also the Pro is QUIETER than the AIR (1) which apparently is a noisy drone.
There were other differences I won't go into.
Obviously the Air (1) is an old model (being replaced by the Air 2) but what about the Pro Platinum?

Please note that apart from a cheap toy grade drone with a 5 minute battery life I am relatively new to drones.

Does anyone want to 'weigh in' regarding the differences and make a suggestion?

Please note that I intend to create a thread in the Mavic Air forum in case someone reads this there who doesn't ready this forum.

John

I actually prefer my MPP it's been rock solid in all conditions, while sometimes I get wind warnings with the MA.

It has a form of obstacle avoidance on RTH

1592637443200.png

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
you will not go far wrong with either model ,i can only comment on the MPP, as i have never owned the mavic air ,it has been a wonderful machine to own and fly
and for me, its reliability and great all round flight envelope are its outstanding features ,personally i think that it was and still is, one of the best consumer drones that DJI have produced to date,

I second the above comments.

Reactions: old man mavic
Yep MPP all the way and if you look around there are some very low hour second hand bargains to be had..and most with lots of extras thrown in

you will not go far wrong with either model ,i can only comment on the MPP, as i have never owned the mavic air ,it has been a wonderful machine to own and fly
and for me, its reliability and great all round flight envelope are its outstanding features ,personally i think that it was and still is, one of the best consumer drones that DJI have produced to date,
I whole heartily agree with the MPP being a solid easy to fly and controlled platform. You can set it to fly around, but stop and hover is my preference.

Thanks for your replies.

The one thing which is holding me back from the MPP is that it is a lot heavier than the AIR 1 and I will want to take it when travelling (if the borders ever reopen due to covid-19:()

Do I assume correctly that both these models are solid performers and unlikely to fail in use even when a couple of years old?
I am looking at various insurance plans some for cover of accident damage only and others which extend the manufacturers warranty in case the drone fails after manufacturers warranty expires.

for me the one thing that would make me choose the MPP over the AIR 1 is the occusync transmission system

Reactions: davery87
Thanks for your replies.

The one thing which is holding me back from the MPP is that it is a lot heavier than the AIR 1 and I will want to take it when travelling (if the borders ever reopen due to covid-19:()

Do I assume correctly that both these models are solid performers and unlikely to fail in use even when a couple of years old?
I am looking at various insurance plans some for cover of accident damage only and others which extend the manufacturers warranty in case the drone fails after manufacturers warranty expires.

You carry so much other junk with you when your flying a drone e.g. filters, extra batteries sun hoods, charger, power adapter, cables etc. it doesn't make a difference if the drone is small and light.
The MPP is much more of a solid performer the extra weight allows it more power, range and the better signal transmission/receipt from ocusync.
The extra size means it's more stable in similiar wind conditions and can handle stronger winds better.

For me my MA is a very portable unit, but I have less confidence in the "enahnced WI-FI" which has glitched and caused a few issues over the years while with my MPP there hasn't been a single problem so I'm more confident with it.

Thanks for your replies and info.

Yes I had noticed the occusync transmission system used in the MPP and that the "enhanced Wi-Fi" in the MA1 has 'issues' and why but I wondered if the issues were only noticeable when the MA1 is some distance from the controller or when there are tall buildings in the area?
I don't think I would ever want to fly any drone so far from me that I can hardly see it in the sky so could "enhanced Wi-Fi" still cause problems AND isn't it only used to transmit video to the mobile/cell phone?

Yes I had noticed the occusync transmission system used in the MPP and that the "enhanced Wi-Fi" in the MA1 has 'issues' and why but I wondered if the issues were only noticeable when the MA1 is some distance from the controller or when there are tall buildings in the area?
I don't think I would ever want to fly any drone so far from me that I can hardly see it in the sky so could "enhanced Wi-Fi" still cause problems AND isn't it only used to transmit video to the mobile/cell phone?
being able to fly long distances is not what occusync is just about ,its real strength lies in its signal stability at any distance,it is rock solid ,and gives you the confidence to fly ,without the need to worry about signal dropouts

I found enhanced wi-fi less stable in all conditions, whether they be in and around structures or flying longer distances
The enhanced wi-fi and Ocusync systems are the connection between the RC and the AC to control the AC, receive telemetry data and the video feed
The connection between the RC and the phone/tablet is via a cable

Last edited:
Thanks
It seems that enhanced wifi and ocusync is to allow video to stream to the mobile/cell phone so that the 'pilot' can see what the drone is seeing and I guess this is what the 'pilot' should be relying on when flying. Is that all what it is used for and it has nothing to do with the range for actually controlling the drone?

I watched some youtube videos (MA 1 with enhanced wi-fi) which suggested a 'range' of up to 3000-4000 feet (in clear countryside without any obstacles such as trees or buildings) before the video became choppy. With obstacles and with one of those 'parabolic range boosters' (a passive device) fitted the range was even further. I don't think I would be game to fly a drone so far away that it couldn't be seen as if it goes down I may have a long way to walk to recover it. Maybe that will change once I get familiar with flying.

I have learned a lot from this thread.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78