DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro RTH Problems

MetalDetectingMichigan

Reactions
I hope maybe some of you might be able to help me figure out the trouble I have had yesterday and today with the RTH on my Mavic Pro. Yesterday I was flying around 1000 feet away when I decided to initiate RTH, I was at an altitude of about 160 feet. When I pushed the RTH on my ipad the Mavic ascended to 372 ft and was still going up when I cancelled the RTH. My RTH altitude is set for 70M. I flew the quad home and landed it.

Today I was at a friend's farm and I wanted to test the Mavic again. Three times I was out about 1500 feet and a 150 feet in height. Each time I started RTH the Mavic immediately started to descend. What the heck is going on? Tomorrow I am going to calibrate the IMU and calibrate the compass.

Any suggestions fellow Mavic pilots?

Reactions: wakka666
Oh boy... This makes me feel all fuzzy and warm! Watching this one closely!

Sounds like very odd behaviour. Installing the firmware again wouldn't cause any harm. If still the same try installing an earlier version and calibrate the drone. Failing that you may have to send it in for assessment and repair.

Reactions: wakka666
were you in sports mode.?
you say 4.1.5 app what firmware version
how much battery was left when RTH was activated.?
how is your FVS set.? Land ,Go Over, go around.?
and your loss of signal from controller.?

were you in sports mode.?
you say 4.1.5 app what firmware version
how much battery was left when RTH was activated.?
how is your FVS set.? Land ,Go Over, go around.?
and your loss of signal from controller.?
I was not in sport mode. I am running DJI v01.03.0900. RTH was activated with 50% battery. No loss of signal from controller. I initiated the RTH

strange, in my RTH post above my word ( biblical opposite place from Heaven) is replaced by 3 asterisk..? rather far fetched....

RTH update. I uninstalled DJI Go 4 from my tablet, then reinstalled it. I calibrated the IMU and compass. I took the Mavic and tried the RTH 12 different times and it worked flawless. I will keep an eye on it and keep everyone updated

Sounds like there are multiple things going wrong after the DJI Go 4 update that are causing people to have to uninstall and reinstall the app.. I was just reading a thread below about maps not working after the app update and the fix was un/reinstall.

as long as the uninstall/ install procedure helps..don't panic...if not, then we have a problem...[emoji6]

I'm still trying to understand why people accept all these updates in the first place? First rule of technology: If it works, leave it be. They haven't introduced any new features or fixed any bugs since 700/4.0.7. Why are folk willingly screwing up their birds then crying about it when it screws up? Especially with all the existing documentation of the new releases being crap?

I'm still trying to understand why people accept all these updates in the first place? First rule of technology: If it works, leave it be. They haven't introduced any new features or fixed any bugs since 700/4.0.7. Why are folk willingly screwing up their birds then crying about it when it screws up? Especially with all the existing documentation of the new releases being crap?

Maybe because they are forced to it by DJI?..."Upgrade or we keep your bird on the ground!"...[emoji51]

Isn't another reason that if there were a problem with the MP and you had to contact DJI they could say it's not covered since you didn't upgrade the last "X" versions?

I hope maybe some of you might be able to help me figure out the trouble I have had yesterday and today with the RTH on my Mavic Pro. Yesterday I was flying around 1000 feet away when I decided to initiate RTH, I was at an altitude of about 160 feet. When I pushed the RTH on my ipad the Mavic ascended to 372 ft and was still going up when I cancelled the RTH. My RTH altitude is set for 70M. I flew the quad home and landed it.

Today I was at a friend's farm and I wanted to test the Mavic again. Three times I was out about 1500 feet and a 150 feet in height. Each time I started RTH the Mavic immediately started to descend. What the heck is going on? Tomorrow I am going to calibrate the IMU and calibrate the compass.

Any suggestions fellow Mavic pilots?

I realize this is an OLD post, but it's the one that most closely resembles what I experience under very similar conditions. (distance about 1,500-2,200 feet, altitude about 200'). The RTH function (manually initiated) occasionally causes the bird to ascend to the max allowable altitude --- each time, I've cancelled it and manually flown for a little ways, and then reinitialized it. Then it'll work the way it is supposed to. My AirData log analysis doesn't reveal anything out of sorts.

This is a new Mavic Pro (November 2017) -- all updated firmware. I'll update again and see what happens.

I realize this is an OLD post, but it's the one that most closely resembles what I experience under very similar conditions. (distance about 1,500-2,200 feet, altitude about 200'). The RTH function (manually initiated) occasionally causes the bird to ascend to the max allowable altitude --- each time, I've cancelled it and manually flown for a little ways, and then reinitialized it. Then it'll work the way it is supposed to. My AirData log analysis doesn't reveal anything out of sorts.

This is a new Mavic Pro (November 2017) -- all updated firmware. I'll update again and see what happens.
Did these incidents occur either around sunset heading west, or around sunrise heading east? Sounds like the incidents where the forward obstacle avoidance sensor gets fooled by the sun. The AC will attempt to avoid the "obstacle" by ascending.

Reactions: rfc
Did these incidents occur either around sunset heading west, or around sunrise heading east? Sounds like the incidents where the forward obstacle avoidance sensor gets fooled by the sun. The AC will attempt to avoid the "obstacle" by ascending.

I think you are on to something! Went back and reviewed the flight log again and sure enough, I had just initiated a RTH due to some interference and when the AC pivoted towards Home, it was pointing almost directly into the setting sun. At that point it started to gain altitude.....and it kept going, and going..... I am surprised that some Tip or Warning Message was not generated to indicate obstacle avoidance in the RTH sequence -- that would certainly be helpful.

For now, I'm disabling the obstacle avoidance features and will try the same exact flight tomorrow and see how she does. I've only had a few glitches on the Mavic so far, and they've all been related to Obstacle Avoidance.

Really appreciate the idea....it's been bugging me ;)

Reactions: BudWalker
I think you are on to something! Went back and reviewed the flight log again and sure enough, I had just initiated a RTH due to some interference and when the AC pivoted towards Home, it was pointing almost directly into the setting sun. At that point it started to gain altitude.....and it kept going, and going..... I am surprised that some Tip or Warning Message was not generated to indicate obstacle avoidance in the RTH sequence -- that would certainly be helpful.

For now, I'm disabling the obstacle avoidance features and will try the same exact flight tomorrow and see how she does. I've only had a few glitches on the Mavic so far, and they've all been related to Obstacle Avoidance.

Really appreciate the idea....it's been bugging me ;)
It seems there are many reports of this. Do pro pilots turn both forward and down sensors off as a matter of course? I'm beginning to think they cause more problems than solve them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143