DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro to Mavic 3 sadness

Had a mavic pro. It recorded to my phone that was connected to my controller with audio from were I was.

Mavic 3 can't recorded anywhere but to its self or SD. Not back to my phone with audio.

For the love of pete...please tell me that I am wrong. Please tell me to make quick drone videos with sound dosnt take recording auto then using software to put on the video.
Please tell me I didn't waste $2200.
Interesting...I have a Mavic Pro and always record at 4k. I wont watch a video in 720p. Quality is really bad in my eyes. So because of the quality, I have never watched a video from files recorded on my phone. So are you saying there is also audio recorded on the phone at the same time as the video? Wonder how I can capture that and transfer into my 4k video on my PC? I'm not a techie....

Reactions: ericole
Did no one have a mavic pro? I still have videos that I can cast to a 86" TV with sound and people are amazed at the quality. That is not even the 4k version without sound.
I have a pro and didn’t know you could do this. Is there some setup to make it happen?

Interesting...I have a Mavic Pro and always record at 4k. I wont watch a video in 720p. Quality is really bad in my eyes. So because of the quality, I have never watched a video from files recorded on my phone. So are you saying there is also audio recorded on the phone at the same time as the video? Wonder how I can capture that and transfer into my 4k video on my PC? I'm not a techie....

The sound and video that I got automatically from the Mavic Pro maybe was the cache like some have said. But after my flight I had 2 files. One automatically put into my Dji cache folder. The other automatically put in my Dji Record folder. Samsung Galaxy S10 gallery.

The Record folder has a very clear 120x720 video with sound. This is what I would give to people to watch. Everyone thought it the image quality was amazing. But I do know the difference with 4k. However, people love these with the sound hearing the crowd. I uploaded one of these. In this video it was a small game. I was higher then normal and at the end of the feild by a parkinglot. I don't understand how this is not a great feature.

Reactions: Norval
The sound and video that I got automatically from the Mavic Pro maybe was the cache like some have said. But after my flight I had 2 files. One automatically put into my Dji cache folder. The other automatically put in my Dji Record folder. Samsung Galaxy S10 gallery.

The Record folder has a very clear 120x720 video with sound. This is what I would give to people to watch. Everyone thought it the image quality was amazing. But I do know the difference with 4k. However, people love these with the sound hearing the crowd. I uploaded one of these. In this video it was a small game. I was higher then normal and at the end of the feild by a parkinglot. I don't understand how this is not a great feature.
See Post #13 above.

Reactions: daddyvader
Maybe I missed it, but would someone please post how one can record audio on the phone's cached video using the Mavic Pro. I have watched the cached video from my phone and the video is even poor on my Samsung S-9. Did not hear audio. Maybe due to not having input while flying. I don't talk while flying. Thanks

You know that is not what OP wants. Why be obtuse and antagonistic?

He/she wants at least the same features as there used to be.

Of course we all expect better quality for a newer and more expensive drone than its predecessors.

What isn’t expected/wanted is less features.
As I said in my previous post, the Mavic 3 is not in the same product category as was the Mavic Pro when it was launched. As such, it makes no sense to compare them.

Maybe I missed it, but would someone please post how one can record audio on the phone's cached video using the Mavic Pro. I have watched the cached video from my phone and the video is even poor on my Samsung S-9. Did not hear audio. Maybe due to not having input while flying. I don't talk while flying. Thanks
From memory the cached videos should have the audio by default and even if you're not saying anything, you should hear the audio from the controller. To use the audio with the high quality video from the Mavic Pro you'll need to copy both the cached video and drone video to a device, separate the audio from the cached video and add it to the drone video file which is straightforward using a video editor. However if you want to do this you'd be easier just recording audio on the phone and then adding it to the drone video, just make sure you say something clear on the audio track that you can use to sync the audio like 'Drone taking off', 'drone landing' etc.

I don't have the Go app anymore but you would have the the cache but also a higher quality video with audio. Again 2 different videos are put in your phone and one on the drone. I had the S9 as well. Worked without an issue.
I think it was called video transfer then you can select to mobile. But hard to remember.

The Mavic Pro was the very first of a long line of drones and times have changed. DJI have introduced so many models since then that target different consumer groups. My guess is that you do not really need a Mavic 3; an Air2S or a Mini 3 Pro would better fit your requirements and usage.
Having the drone record audio is a rare usage case and if anyone spending the amount of money Mavic 3 requires needed that, then he would most probably prefer to also purchase separate audio recording equipment that would certainly produce better results anyway.
This trend is not anything new either, I had the Mavic 2 Pro before the Mavic 3 and I do not remember it having such an option. I also do not remember anyone else requesting this feature, so it would be logical that DJI would not be interested in implementing it.
In addition to all of this, I'm not sure whether recording audio could also tread into legal territory, same as for recording images of people/bystanders unaware of this. There are rules and regulations about these matters, however, they vary depending on the country.
Oh really? Never thought about "live" ambient audio until now, but heck, it would be a nice feature to have. Some pilots may grunt and swear, but some of us don't, and would love ambient sounds.

Yes, adding audio in post is possible, but it can be quite a hassle to get it synched properly, since the files aren't exactly genlocked.

Oh really? Never thought about "live" ambient audio until now, but heck, it would be a nice feature to have. Some pilots may grunt and swear, but some of us don't, and would love ambient sounds.

Yes, adding audio in post is possible, but it can be quite a hassle to get it synched properly, since the files aren't exactly genlocked.
DJI support has responded to me. The tech knew exactly what I was talking about and said at this time the app is not allowing that option for the Mavic 3. They are working on improving the app.

Maybe that is standard protocol. But them knowing what I am talking about was not standard protocol.

I am going to put this post to bed and try some of the options of merging the audio. I cant imagine it is a fast process. I really love everything else about this drone. But that is what I personally use my drone for. Without sound it takes so much away for the fmaily, friends and myself.

I really do appreciate everyone comments and there personal opinions on this. There is a lot of knowledge here.
Fly safe

The DJI Go 4 app allows you to record audio with Video Cache, the DJI Fly app does NOT.
The audio is taken from the microphone in the connected smart device.

Attachments

• GO4 Record Audio with Cached video.png
    GO4 Record Audio with Cached video.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I am going to put this post to bed and try some of the options of merging the audio. I cant imagine it is a fast process. I really love everything else about this drone. But that is what I personally use my drone for. Without sound it takes so much away for the fmaily, friends and myself.

that process I mentioned using AviDemux (and XRecorder) is actually really fast. The app is pretty simple with a shallow learning curve, and you can accomplish all the steps with the app. In copy mode there is no render time.

now, when I say all that I'm thinking of you adding your narration. If you narrate the entire flight it will be easy-peasy to merge. As I said you might have to chop a couple of seconds off of the start of one of the videos to 'sync' narration and flight although I'd think they'd be close enough. But it would probably be best to have, for example, a 10 minute, 17 second video file and a 10:17 audio file

now, if you're adding music, there's more work in post unless you can find a music file that has approximately the same duration as you video file. So, you might have to merge 2 or 3 audio files to match, then add that audio to the flight video

I use AVIDemux to finalize all my flights. That way I can edit out all the time I spend stopped and hovering while I fidget with the controls, like camera settings, RTH altitude, etc. I just create 4 or 5 or 8 partial video files of only the action I want, then use the append function of AVIdemux to merge. Again, that only takes a few seconds

These days video editing is much quicker and easier than it used to be and plenty of apps that can do it on the go so I think you should be able to find a solution that would allow you to do what you're wanting without too much extra hassle. It's not something I use myself but worth asking in the video forum here for recommendations or check for any similar threads for specific apps that may be of use to you.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000