DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Zoom rear props flip drone on takeoff

chingoma

Reactions
I had a crash today on take off with my mavic 2. Bird was calibrated. Doing a manual take off. It appears the two rear motors are over powering the front two and the unit is flipping head over heels. Repeated attempts show the backend lifting erratically - any ideas?

I had a crash today on take off with my mavic 2. Bird was calibrated. Doing a manual take off. It appears the two rear motors are over powering the front two and the unit is flipping head over heels. Repeated attempts show the backend lifting erratically - any ideas?
Have you recently changed the props? Placing them on the wrong motors will cause this issue. be sure that your props are placed on the correct motors. They are marked just for this purpose.

Reactions: Fizzbang and Cafguy
Are your props brand new?

I ask because I had this happen on a brand new M3 as well. Props were defective.
I know mine (and yours) are/were not reversed because they physically cannot be.

I mistakenly reversed the rear props once and this is exactly what happened. Happily no damage beyond my severely bruised ego.

To me too it sounds as if the front props are on the wrong motors but I would be slightly surprised if the "Mavic Pro Zoom" will allow that.
Actually is there such a drone?
I know there is a Mavic Pro and I know there is a Mavic 2 Zoom and a Mavic 2 Pro but I have never heard of a Mavic Pro Zoom.

So, taking that to be correct, can you check the identification of your drone please and post the correct model?

If it is a Mavic 2 Zoom or a Mavic 2 Pro then you CAN NOT fit genuine DJI props to the incorrect motors but I do not know if after market props can be incorrectly fitted.

With that in mind I would suggest you post the .txt and .DAT flight logs from the screen device, NOTE SCREEN DEVICE, for a troubled flight.
If you don't have a DAT then, if the drone is a M2Z, what model of controller are you using? The RC1B does not produce a DAT on the attached 'phone' and the drone's DAT is encrypted and unreadable. If you are using another model of controller then I suggest you switch syncing off and try another launch over somewhere safe to flip then look for a DAT.

If you are have an older Mavic then I am not sure if they record a DAT on the screen device but others can probably answer that. If it doesn't record a DAT on the screen device then you should find a DAT on the drone. Whether or not the DAT on an older Mavic is readable I do not know.

Why do I ask for the DAT? It records motor speeds.

Reactions: michaeldallen1
What sort of defect was there that could cause the drone to go inverted on takeoff?
Assuming it flipped rear over front, slow running front motors, bad/stuck pitch sensor, front props on the wrong motors, those just the ones I can think of IF they are possible.
But since the OP has only made 1 post we are just guessing.

Assuming it flipped rear over front, slow running front motors, bad/stuck pitch sensor, front props on the wrong motors, those just the ones I can think of IF they are possible.
But since the OP has only made 1 post we are just guessing.
Right, all those things will definitely cause problems. I was asking about @barrybcar's post about defective props that caused the drone to invert on takeoff. I'm having difficulty imagining a prop defect that could cause that.

Ah ok, if the prop hubs can not be fitted to the wrong motor then the only things I can think of are, wrong blades on the correct hubs i.e. a manufactuing problem, or badly distorted blades.

That said, with the Mavic 2 the bit that actually holds the hubs on the motor can be removed, I haven't tried to see if that can bit be fitted to the wrong motor but if it can then it would mean that ONLY the wrong genuine props could be fitted to that motor.

Oh one other thing that could mess things up is, if someone has been inside the drone, disconnected the motor/s and then reconnected it/them with two wires swapped. I remember reading that these motors are 'effectively 3 phase motors and that swapping the connections of two wires reverses a 3 phase motor,

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne