DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Weird behaviour from Air 3 - drone seemed to flip over then lost signal (possible bird strike?)

Drones do not crash into powerlines. People with drones crash into powerlines. But seriously, my money is on what Vic said barring any other proof.
Very true Tony. Would have been nobody's silly fault but my own if I did get tangled up! Will be much more aware in the future of any such risks/obstacles.

Reactions: TonyPHX and RodPad
Gimbal glitches just happen sometimes, without any obvious cause.
I've had the occasional scare from them.

Perhaps the proximity to the powerlines might have had something to do with it or that might have been coincidental and unrelated.
Drones are used for high voltage powerline inspection without problems and I've had to fly close sometimes and never noticed a problem.

Reactions: TonyPHX and RodPad
Gimbal glitches just happen sometimes, without any obvious cause.
I've had the occasional scare from them.

Perhaps the proximity to the powerlines might have had something to do with it or that might have been coincidental and unrelated.
Drones are used for high voltage powerline inspection without problems and I've had to fly close sometimes and never noticed a problem.
Thank you Meta4, hopefully just one of those things that happened. Will definitely be steering clear to avoid getting too close to any transmission/powerlines in the future though, just in case. It does sort of seem like there could be a link possibly in that the gimbal went haywire and the signal to the RC was lost shortly thereafter. The one common denominator that comes to mind was the proximity to the transmission lines. But as you say, may still have beem unrelated really.

Thanks again mate for the help/advice, much appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: RodPad
You mention that the drone possibly uses 3 freqs. If so, I reckon the new freq is the 5.1 ghz as the previous drones used 2.4 and 5.8 freqs. Of course, I may be wrong. Does anyone have an idea if power lines emit a frequency, or a harmonic that would affect this new? drone freq.

I don't see anything in your flight log showing the gimbal/drone starting to move erratically. Where exactly do you see that in your flight log?

I had a similar issue on my Mini 3 Pro. My controller showed a momentary state of weak signal before the drone appeared to pitch left. The logs did not provide a definitive cause other than a possible bird strike since there were no aerial objects in the area. I will be following this post.

You mention that the drone possibly uses 3 freqs. If so, I reckon the new freq is the 5.1 ghz as the previous drones used 2.4 and 5.8 freqs. Of course, I may be wrong. Does anyone have an idea if power lines emit a frequency, or a harmonic that would affect this new? drone freq.

Static Electricity
Take some thing like this near power lines.:)

There nice for testing electric fences. Thumbswayup

Rod ..

Rod, you're still going to be far from the power lines if it is on your person. The drone, if airborne, is bound to be a lot closer. ;)

incidentally, I have flown very close to 132,000 volt powerlines and experienced no issues. Think I won't do that anymore.

Do you agree that Static Electricity can cause these tiny micro chips (ic chips) to get a Bit Confused. :rolleyes: :)👌

Rod ..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N