DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Recovery Mission on Christmas Island was Successful!

StrayaMavic

Reactions
Hi Everyone!

I have great news, the drone I crashed on Christmas Island has been recovered! And it's given birth to a new special crack team on the Island who call themselves the D.R.U.G Squad (Drone Recovery U-Something G-Something Squad... I think the meaning was retrospectively created oddly enough).

Anyway if anyone else is on the Island at some stage and loses their drone, go to the Christmas Island Tourist Centre and ask to be connected with the island's D.R.U.G Squad. Don't ask at the cop shop though, you wont get the same team haha.

The crash location was off by roughly 2 meters from last communicated GPS co-ordinates, worth considering for future crashes.

What is also interesting from this experience is the fact that the battery will deplete really fast even if crashed, disconnected from RC and lying in wait. I expected that it would last ages with RC disconnected so that I could return later and start the beeping / LED flashing for recovery. The lesson learned here is to start that early, as even if you cant access it immediately, at least you can get a visual fix on it's location.

The D.R.U.G Squad guys found it after filming the crash site for about an hour then retreating back home for a bevy they started combing through the footage. Joe also went straight up the cliff like some magical Canadian mountain goat whilst Craig went for a more tactful approach of sending his drone up and taking some footage to analyse later. After a pretty amazing effort that they managed to spot the MP in that scrub on the cliff. They then went back up, hacked their way through the bush with a machete, recovered the drone and gave me a call with the good news!

Damage wise, I know it needs a new full set of blades and a new gimbal cover, haven't been able to test fly it yet (they tend to frown on that in airports) but what an awesome result!

Hat goes off to the Christmas Island D.R.U.G Squad legends Craig (left) and Joe (right). Can't thank you enough guys! See you again soon!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
IMG_6266.JPG fullsizeoutput_84.jpeg fullsizeoutput_83.jpeg IMG_5927.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

I have great news, the drone I crashed on Christmas Island has been recovered! And it's given birth to a new special crack team on the Island who call themselves the D.R.U.G Squad (Drone Recovery U-Something G-Something Squad... I think the meaning was retrospectively created oddly enough).

Anyway if anyone else is on the Island at some stage and loses their drone, go to the Christmas Island Tourist Centre and ask to be connected with the island's D.R.U.G Squad. Don't ask at the cop shop though, you wont get the same team haha.

The crash location was off by roughly 2 meters from last communicated GPS co-ordinates, worth considering for future crashes.

What is also interesting from this experience is the fact that the battery will deplete really fast even if crashed, disconnected from RC and lying in wait. I expected that it would last ages with RC disconnected so that I could return later and start the beeping / LED flashing for recovery. The lesson learned here is to start that early, as even if you cant access it immediately, at least you can get a visual fix on it's location.

The D.R.U.G Squad guys found it after filming the crash site for about an hour then retreating back home for a bevy they started combing through the footage. Joe also went straight up the cliff like some magical Canadian mountain goat whilst Craig went for a more tactful approach of sending his drone up and taking some footage to analyse later. After a pretty amazing effort that they managed to spot the MP in that scrub on the cliff. They then went back up, hacked their way through the bush with a machete, recovered the drone and gave me a call with the good news!

Damage wise, I know it needs a new full set of blades and a new gimbal cover, haven't been able to test fly it yet (they tend to frown on that in airports) but what an awesome result!

Hat goes off to the Christmas Island D.R.U.G Squad legends Craig (left) and Joe (right). Can't thank you enough guys! See you again soon!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View attachment 24827 View attachment 24825 View attachment 24824 View attachment 24826
Excellent work Man, way to sort it out.

Congrats on getting your Mavic back!!! How much did that service cost you?

They actually didn't expect anything, there are some really great people on the island. But I gave them enough for 2 or 3 cartons of decent beer and dinner. Beer isn't cheap on the island haha everything is imported at a premium.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erpator