DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic reported height

M4RK

Reactions
I'm still a newbie when it comes to UAVs, so I apologise in advance if this question has an obvious answer...

The DJI Go app reports the Mavic's height. Am I right in saying this is the height above the established Home Point ie rather like an airplane's QFE reading?

If so, and If I fly my Mavic horizontally towards a slight incline, then despite the fact the Height is reported as being constant on the display, the actual height above the ground beneath (and thus any ground based obstacles) is actually getting less and less.

How does the other height reading displayed, from the sensors on the aircraft's underside, relate to this?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: jcpkkmw
Yes the hight you see is the hight above your take off point, the bottom sensors will also give hight feedback once they can read the ground below.

Reactions: M4RK
Thanks Anthony...so within what distance do the bottom sensors read a height?

Does this update or influence the actual height readout?

Thanks Anthony...so within what distance do the bottom sensors read a height?

Does this update or influence the actual height readout?

Hi the sensors don't read hight they rather detect the ground .... the max range is 13 meters ( check out the full Mavic user guide ) Mavic – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

Hight is always based on your take off location so if for example you are on a hill that is 400 feet high when you take off the Mavic records this as 0 ( ZERO ) Feet so if you set your RTH hight to 100 feet and you press the RTH button the mavic will clibm to 100 feet above your take off point and then fly home and desend.

If you fly off a cliff or down into a vally you are flying at a - ( Minus) hight so if you hit return to home the mavic will climb to + 100 feet then fly back to your home point.

When using the sensors the drone displays this data next to the VPS readout Hight is always displayed separately next to the "H" in the bottom centre of your mobile aswell as on the RC.

Hope this helps.

Also if you just want to spend time getting familiar with the readouts on the RC and you mobile indoors just remove the props and power up the drone this way you wont accidentally launch the drone :)

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock