DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic stopped writing RAW files to SD card

FastEddie23

Reactions
Hi-

New to the forum, this is my first post. I was out flying last night taking some photos and prior to my first flight I changed my settings to shoot in JPEG+RAW. We unbeknownst to me until I came home later the drone only captured the first two photos with RAW and then everything else was only JPEG. I don't know what happened but from the timeline of the photos it looks like I captured those two photos, shot a video and then lost RAW.

Has anyone else experienced this? Certainly doesn't seem like it should be standard operation.

Thoughts and help appreciated.

Thanks.

ED

Last edited:
I don't know why this happens but the same thing has happened to me a couple of times. The first two shots are JPEG+RAW, then I switched to Video for a while, and then back to still. The subsequent photos are only shot as JPEG, all during the same flight. I would like to know if anyone has a theory about why this happens so I can avoid it in the future.

Sorry if it is a stupid question, but what is the speed of the card(s) you are using? I was wondering if the "write" time was too long and the system switched directly to JPG only when this is the case. Just a suggestion.

Good suggestion. Mine is a Kingston 64 gb
  • Class 10 UHS-I speeds of 45 MB/s read and 10 MB/s write
Maybe the write speed is too slow?

Saying that there have been posts saying if you change mode (active track etc) where raw isn't supported then you have to change the setting again after switching back, its not automatic

Maybe the same if you switch to video

I don't use raw at the moment so haven't tried it

Ah, I think you nailed the problem there. I was running active track when (or before) this happened. Both this time and the previous time. I was in the middle of filming some shots of a speedboat. I don't even remember if I went out of active track when I switched to stills. I didn't know that raw wasn't supported in certain modes. That is a bit strange actually. Has DJI given any reason or explanation for this?

On a related note, 10MB/sec write speed is indeed pretty slow. I'm surprised you're not having more and / or other issues. I've done the math and something like 30MB/sec was a minimum to capture 4k video.

In the Sandisk realm, the Extreme (gold label) cards would be a minimum recommended. It's of course what DJI ships as well. Extreme Plus or Pro are of course fine too.

If you have the original card, maybe put it back and see if anything changes.

Ahh, good to know. Bad assumption on my part they all used the same cards.

Lexar's site says it's intended for 4k video recording and I saw a read speed but no write speed. "Up to 95MB/s read transfer, write speeds lower."

Still, I am sure, much faster than OP's card. Which may or not actually be a problem, but I have to think that it is.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada