DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic took a swim. What's the best course of action.

Alcohol works great (99% isopropal), I have dropped entire phones in a glass to displace the water, pulled them out and shook em dry, put in a dry spot for a couple days and they were good to go.
Regards,
-d.

I'd open it up (trivially easy) and use the alcohol where needed in small amounts. I'd open every connector and flush and let dry.

Wonderful if that's what you have. I have a 6P. There's also a great (if expensive) repair place about 3 km from here that will turnaround a phone by the time you're done shopping at Costco (1 hour service). My iPhone is 2 years old (actually less as it was swapped for one that had the touch-disease at some cost), so it's nearing the money point where I would repair it myself rather than pay to have it repaired. If it dies after, well, ...
I have a 6S Plus, but it's sealed in a waterproof case. I had to swap mine 3 weeks into owning mine because the screen died in a lower middle and discolored around the dead area. It was a warranty replacement though.

Silica gel is better than rice, get a pound of indicating silica gel beads, and put the drone and the beads in a big plastic bag, recharge the beads (a microwave is good) when they indicate they are expired. Above all, don't be impatient to test it..
Do not breathe around your microwave while doing that... just sayin'

The iPhone 7 is supposed to be water resistant.

I have a 7plus and while it is rated at 30 minutes at 1m deep, I had seen a bunch of youtube videos where people kept it in water for hours at 10-15 feet, so... I was in Mexico this past winter and we went to a water park where we did a lot of snorkeling. I assumed I could take the phone and did so. I probably was in the water for 2-3 hours and went down to 2m or so a few times, but the phone was constantly in the water. Right away, things didn't go so well. The phone worked, but the camera was super foggy (water in the lense) and the speakers stopped working. ****, ****, ****! Guess what? After about 2 days the phone worked perfectly. Well, almost perfectly. When talking on the speaker, I sometimes have people say they can't hear me that well, but not sure if this is just a connection issue, but I would say it's close to perfect and I didn't make any effort to dry the phone out. So in summary, the phone did withstand quite a bit of water; much more than it's rated for, but it needed to dry out for a few days to come back to life!

First pull the battery. Alcohol is great. I wouldn't just flush, either. I'd run out and immediately buy a gallon of the purest isopropyl you can get, crack the case, submerge the whole thing for a few minutes, shaking it submerged, then pull it out to drain and dry. Based on a cell phone that took a freshwater dip while trout fishing.

Silica gel expands in size greatly, and turns mushy-sticky, two things that make it hard to remove from motors. I would not use un-packaged silica gel pellets, just sachets if you go this route.
Silica gel beads don't do this, they are non soluble, and are used in regenerative dryers for years, going through a wet/dry cycle

Reactions: jpbluzharp
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25