DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic video looks like **** !

Yes I just tried and it didn't work. Do you really think I have something wrong with my Mavic? Can you post some of your footage so I can compare please?

If you're experienced with DSLR pro gear and really know how to get the best result with them, I'm pretty sure your Mavic is "awarded".
If I was you I would take it to an authorized technical assistance.

I'm not an expert either but I know how to deal with a professional camera. Knowing the limitations of the Mavic's cam I can assure you that I can get pretty stunning footage with it.

Ok I am glad to hear that it is possible to get great footage. Would you mind posting a shot without any bad aliasing and sharpening halos please? Something with lot's of detail.

Thanks in advance!

What else could be happening is you maybe filming on ntsc which is essentially using the same compression setting per second that's spread over an extra 5 frames. This could most certainly in theory cause ghosting. Try work with pal and let us know

Yes I realize that it the file says that it is 4k, but the file only contains one out of every 8 frames that as a true full image. The rest of the frames are the differences between that full frame. Also it is most likely pixel binned.

It is not able to handle the detail in a 4k scene so what results is mushiness or missing parts of the image.
What are you using to determine the 8 frame recovery/capture and are you having issues with both pixel binning and pixel skipping? Just trying to figure out the best possible way to help with suggestions. The camera is definitely shooting and recording at 3840x2160 with the onboard 1/2.3” sensor. For a $1,000 drone, I think that might be what most are referring to in regard to image quality. It truly is spectacular given it's form.

Now in regard to your needs, maybe a consumer drone/camera isn't good enough and that sounds like that might be the issue. Maybe one of the Professional Series Inspire 1 or 2's would be a better fit as their onboard cameras are exponentially better! Unfortunately, so is their cost. haha

If you wan't to upload some of your video, maybe some of us can take a look at it and see what we can come up with.

All the best

What else could be happening is you maybe filming on ntsc which is essentially using the same compression setting per second that's spread over an extra 5 frames. This could most certainly in theory cause ghosting. Try work with pal and let us know
That's a great point! Might not be the case but definitely worth checking as that would explain it for sure. Well done Shawn.

Wait - are you saying we should be shooting in PAL???? Who here uses NTSC and who uses PAL?

Reactions: lenzwizard
Look, I am not an expert, but I use my gear professionally every single day. I love the format/portability of the Mavic, but the image quality in video simply SUCKS!

I have tried tons of different settings/firmware/apps etc. The image quality either shows really bad sharpening halos with aliasing and artifacts and the image breaks up because the codec can't handle the detail. I really wish there was a solution to getting better image quality from it, but I just don't see how. All I keep reading is how everyone is so happy with this thing. How can that be?

(from the other side of the coin)

Shoot in D-Log.

I am talking about the sharpened parts of the image. It contains really bad halos and aliasing. Actually I have only seen a few samples of video that doesn't contain this on the web. Does anyone have any clean footage that they can share? I would love to be proven wrong.
If you'll PM me, I'll send you my email. Lets exchange video to see if we can figure this out. Cheers

Reactions: mojo43
Wait - are you saying we should be shooting in PAL???? Who here uses NTSC and who uses PAL?
I go back an forth as it depends on what the intended purpose of my video is. The distinction really is frame rate as you know and the suggestion of switching would be interesting to see if that solves your problem. Good luck

Look, I am not an expert, but I use my gear professionally every single day. I love the format/portability of the Mavic, but the image quality in video simply SUCKS!

I have tried tons of different settings/firmware/apps etc. The image quality either shows really bad sharpening halos with aliasing and artifacts and the image breaks up because the codec can't handle the detail. I really wish there was a solution to getting better image quality from it, but I just don't see how. All I keep reading is how everyone is so happy with this thing. How can that be?

(from the other side of the coin)

Until a few days ago I had never flown a drone for more than 30seconds. I had never filmed anything with one. Then I bought a mavic pro. Here's the footage I got, in about 10 hours, and what happened afterwards. Sorry if this is self indulgent or I'm flying breaking rules. I need to educate myself on where to fly them. But I'm hooked. Love my Mavic Pro.

Do you think my footage is also crap?

Very usable! There is still aliasing, but it is very minimal. How did you post process it to minimize the aliasing? I noticed that you didn't post in 2k or 4k.

What are you using to determine the 8 frame recovery/capture and are you having issues with both pixel binning and pixel skipping? Just trying to figure out the best possible way to help with suggestions. The camera is definitely shooting and recording at 3840x2160 with the onboard 1/2.3” sensor. For a $1,000 drone, I think that might be what most are referring to in regard to image quality. It truly is spectacular given it's form.

Now in regard to your needs, maybe a consumer drone/camera isn't good enough and that sounds like that might be the issue. Maybe one of the Professional Series Inspire 1 or 2's would be a better fit as their onboard cameras are exponentially better! Unfortunately, so is their cost. haha

If you wan't to upload some of your video, maybe some of us can take a look at it and see what we can come up with.

All the best

That might be it. Normally on our projects we shoot with a Phantom 4. Side by side, comparing the footage so far it is night and day. I have now shot with 3 Mavics and I keep coming to the same conclusion. The image quality is very subpar. That being said, what Piranha showed me is decent. I would love to know more about how he post processes. Not the grading. Just the minimizing of aliasing.

Reactions: lenzwizard
Here is a sample that I am talking about. If you look at the trees and the detail. It's all over sharpened
1080P 30fps - +1 - 0 - 0 with great results
Good luck!

I haven't tried 1080p, but if that is the solution then ok. I will try it out. Can you post a sample please as its raining here right now.

Reactions: Palliz
I go back an forth as it depends on what the intended purpose of my video is. The distinction really is frame rate as you know and the suggestion of switching would be interesting to see if that solves your problem. Good luck
I really have to disagree with switching between PAL and NTSC. PAL is European standard framerate and NTSC is USA standard if I recall correctly. Thats why PAL is 25/50 FPS and NTSC is 30/60, the different countries have different standard framerates. Film in what your monitor displays and what your clients are expecting.

Did this a while ago 1080P 30fps - True color - +1 0 0
Not sure if Youtube compresses vid etc but original footage is really quite spectacular

Just for the hell of it here is one of my first attempts for comparison, do you see any of the same negative affects you are mentioning?

This was shot with no filters at around mid day in D-Cinelog at 4k 24fps and +1 0 0 and PAL. Only thing done to it in post production was clip out sections and export at 1080 24fps. I am no photographer but I was pretty happy with the results playing on a large screen. Is there something in there not right I could work on?

Last edited:
I really have to disagree with switching between PAL and NTSC. PAL is European standard framerate and NTSC is USA standard if I recall correctly. Thats why PAL is 25/50 FPS and NTSC is 30/60, the different countries have different standard framerates. Film in what your monitor displays and what your clients are expecting.
That's the reason I'm forced to switch at times. I'm not always shooting for myself. Would be a heck of a lot easier if I could! haha

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15