DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic video looks like **** !

Look, I am not an expert, but I use my gear professionally every single day. I love the format/portability of the Mavic, but the image quality in video simply SUCKS!

I have tried tons of different settings/firmware/apps etc. The image quality either shows really bad sharpening halos with aliasing and artifacts and the image breaks up because the codec can't handle the detail. I really wish there was a solution to getting better image quality from it, but I just don't see how. All I keep reading is how everyone is so happy with this thing. How can that be?

(from the other side of the coin)

The quality is terrible..that's why returned to the p4. I was in the same situation. Decent video is possible but it takes a lot of post and setting changing..not worth it!

You're getting mixed up with megabits (Mbs) and megabytes (MBs)...the cards you're referring to have a write speed of 20 MBs, which is 160 Mbs. The Mavic has a maximum bit rate of 60 Mbs, so any of those cards are more than fast enough.

Ahhh, I'm usually good at spotting the big B vs the lil b. Thanks for pointing that out!!! And shame on me :\

When I first got my Mavic, I made the mistake of listening to other people on youtube with regard to settings. I ended up with terrible quality videos that were completely unusable. I was regretting selling my Phantom 3 Advanced. I tried 1080p and 2.7K to try to get better video. I tried different shooting modes and messing with contrast that everyone was talking about. Many had professional post processing programs which cost about the same as the Mavic Pro, if not, more.

So I decided to do my own thing. I spent several hours filming on different shooting modes, with different contrasts and sharpening, etc.

I suppose every Mavic is different, as the best setting I found were on 4K, Normal 1,0,0. For me, this produced the best colors, best shadows, and clearest image. I no longer regret selling my P3A, and am loving this Mavic! This sensor has its flaws still and it'll never achieve perfection, but it's one heck of a quadcopter.

I suggest spending some time to see what YOUR Mavic likes best. It's worth the time it takes to get your right settings. I'm not a professional, but I'm satisfied with my Mavic Pro.

The best part is that the editing software I use is completely free. I use iMovie on my MacBook Air, and I really don't mind using it.

When I first got my Mavic, I made the mistake of listening to other people on youtube with regard to settings. I ended up with terrible quality videos that were completely unusable. I was regretting selling my Phantom 3 Advanced. I tried 1080p and 2.7K to try to get better video. I tried different shooting modes and messing with contrast that everyone was talking about. Many had professional post processing programs which cost about the same as the Mavic Pro, if not, more.

So I decided to do my own thing. I spent several hours filming on different shooting modes, with different contrasts and sharpening, etc.

I suppose every Mavic is different, as the best setting I found were on 4K, Normal 1,0,0. For me, this produced the best colors, best shadows, and clearest image. I no longer regret selling my P3A, and am loving this Mavic! This sensor has its flaws still and it'll never achieve perfection, but it's one heck of a quadcopter.

I suggest spending some time to see what YOUR Mavic likes best. It's worth the time it takes to get your right settings. I'm not a professional, but I'm satisfied with my Mavic Pro.

The best part is that the editing software I use is completely free. I use iMovie on my MacBook Air, and I really don't mind using it.

Excellent video, very close to studio production quality.

BTW I also shot 4K 1,0,0 and that I found was the best setting for me using .0400 firmware. Unfortunately for each firmware version the optimal values for each keep changing.
Thats another big reason to stick with one firmware version. I spent hours with my Mavic outside on a bench trying various settings. I do not want to go through that again.

Rob

I spent countless hours trying different shooting settings and various post processing methods. At this point I gravitated to the following settings:

SandMarc ND4 for most shots.
With extreme light I use the SandMarc ND8. I try to get the shutter speed at about 10 times the frame rate.
Video settings: 2160p at 24fps.
Fixed (very slight over) exposure and fixed white balance at 5500.
Video Mode: Dlog with style setting at +2, +1, 0. The aggressive style setting is to overcome the "lazy" encoder problem producing "muddy low-contrast areas"

Post processing:
Davinci Resolve 14 Studio
ICARUS LUT(s) as a base grade with minor customizations.
Temporal noise reduction: "Better", "Small movements" set at maximum (100) with motion value at 6. This fixes most excessive compression noise in low light portions of the footage.
Apply the Soften/Sharpen filter to remove remaining mpeg compression artifacts: Settings: (Small Textures at +.7), (Medium Textures at -.9 or -1), (Large Textures at +.5), rest at default.

Here is an example video with those settings:

This works for me and I am quite happy with the results.

Reactions: k3vnnyork
Look, I am not an expert, but I use my gear professionally every single day. I love the format/portability of the Mavic, but the image quality in video simply SUCKS!

I have tried tons of different settings/firmware/apps etc. The image quality either shows really bad sharpening halos with aliasing and artifacts and the image breaks up because the codec can't handle the detail. I really wish there was a solution to getting better image quality from it, but I just don't see how. All I keep reading is how everyone is so happy with this thing. How can that be?

(from the other side of the coin)
Sounds like you need some PolarPro ND Filters. But My Video is absolutely gorgeous with or without.

I spent countless hours trying different shooting settings and various post processing methods. At this point I gravitated to the following settings:

SandMarc ND4 for most shots.
With extreme light I use the SandMarc ND8. I try to get the shutter speed at about 10 times the frame rate.
Video Mode: Dlog with style setting at +2, +1, 0. The aggressive style setting is to overcome the "lazy" encoder problem producing "muddy low-contrast areas"

Post processing:
Davinci Resolve 14 Studio
ICARUS LUT(s) as a base grade with minor customizations.
Temporal noise reduction: "Better", "Small movements" set at maximum (100) with motion value at 6. This fixes most excessive compression noise in low light portions of the footage.
Apply the Soften/Sharpen filter to remove remaining mpeg compression artifacts: Settings: (Small Textures at +.7), (Medium Textures at -.9 or -1), (Large Textures at +.5), rest at default.

Here is an example video with those settings:

This works for me and I am quite happy with the results.

Very nice! Why the 10x frame rate? Rule of thumb is 2x? Where do you get the LUT and is the soft/sharp filter part of Davinvi?

thx

bob

Very nice! Why the 10x frame rate? Rule of thumb is 2x? Where do you get the LUT and is the soft/sharp filter part of Davinvi?

thx

bob

Rule of thumb of 2x is if you want a lot of motion blur. Not exactly my cup of tea. So going 10x I found to be an acceptable compromise.
Davinci Resolve 14 STUDIO (you will have to pay for that version) has all these features. Frankly, the $295 it now costs is the best money I've ever spent. Well worth every penny. Btw, if you do decide for certain passages to want to have some motion blur - Davinci Resolve Studio can do that for you in post exactly how much you want and when/where you want it.

Rule of thumb of 2x is if you want a lot of motion blur. Not exactly my cup of tea. So going 10x I found to be an acceptable compromise.
Davinci Resolve 14 STUDIO (you will have to pay for that version) has all these features. Frankly, the $295 it now costs is the best money I've ever spent. Well worth every penny. Btw, if you do decide for certain passages to want to have some motion blur - Davinci Resolve Studio can do that for you in post exactly how much you want and when/where you want it.

Isn't the trade off stuttering from high shutter speeds?. Check this video around 1:30

The higher shutter speed gives the stuttering look?

bob

Yeah, mine was unusable before I got the right ND filters and learned how to use them. Of course there are better drone cameras out there but for the money, the Mavic is capable of very good video. You just have to work within its limitations.

Yeah, mine was unusable before I got the right ND filters and learned how to use them. Of course there are better drone cameras out there but for the money, the Mavic is capable of very good video. You just have to work within its limitations.

And why do you use 24 FPS? I have heard that it doesn't play well with 60 hz monitors but 30 fps does because of the ratio 30/60.

bob

Sorry, repying to roame

r"SandMarc ND4 for most shots.

bob

Now that you’ve had your Mavic for sometime now what are things you’ve found to help with your quality of videos and pictures? I too share the same sentiment as you did in this post.

Now that you’ve had your Mavic for sometime now what are things you’ve found to help with your quality of videos and pictures? I too share the same sentiment as you did in this post.
This is an old thread, You should start a new thread for your question. Many good people here can help.
I dont pay too much attention to photo quality so I have no input, OTHER than to be sure to remove the clear gimbal cover for best pictures and video.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.