DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic2 Pro vs. Zoom camera resolution: Update

AlienDrone

Reactions
Greetings Fellow Pilots! I want to thank all of you that offered advise on my original post. I'm sorry if I did not respond to each of you, but all of your comments and advice are deeply appreciated. As some of you may know I decided to go with the Mavic Zoom. So far i have been very happy with my choice. As my primary interest at this point is still photography, I have yet to shoot any video. The Hi-Res feature of the Zoom was one of the reasons i chose the zoom. I wasn't exactly sure how the feature worked since there was nothing about it in the user's manual (unless i missed it). I'm happy to say it works as I hoped it would. I start with my image setting at RAW + JPG. Once i'm in the Hi-Res module, I compose the shot at 24mm. Knowing that the aperture will close as the lens zooms to 48mm I intentionally over expose the image before making the exposure. The exposures are made and it appears to save the RAW files of the exposure. Surprisingly, the process starts with a zoom to the center of the image, then all of the perimeters are captured. The final image is a JPG. The image quality is much better using this feature than the standard exposure at 24mm. I have yet to take the raw files and stitch them in PS to compare but will do so and report results. The zoom feature for me worth the sacrifice of the larger sensor. The time it saves me in composing working at a safe distance the shot is huge plus. The 24mm vs the 28mm of the Pro 2 was another consideration. With altitude restrictions of 400' and less around NFZ, I find it much easier to get what I need with the 24mm.

I also want to say how pleased I with the Mavic 2 platform. Before this purchase the Spark was my only experience with DJI. Although I think the Spark is an incredible value, the M2 precision and smoothness is just so much better. Thumbswayup

Greetings Fellow Pilots! I want to thank all of you that offered advise on my original post. I'm sorry if I did not respond to each of you, but all of your comments and advice are deeply appreciated. As some of you may know I decided to go with the Mavic Zoom. So far i have been very happy with my choice. As my primary interest at this point is still photography, I have yet to shoot any video. The Hi-Res feature of the Zoom was one of the reasons i chose the zoom. I wasn't exactly sure how the feature worked since there was nothing about it in the user's manual (unless i missed it). I'm happy to say it works as I hoped it would. I start with my image setting at RAW + JPG. Once i'm in the Hi-Res module, I compose the shot at 24mm. Knowing that the aperture will close as the lens zooms to 48mm I intentionally over expose the image before making the exposure. The exposures are made and it appears to save the RAW files of the exposure. Surprisingly, the process starts with a zoom to the center of the image, then all of the perimeters are captured. The final image is a JPG. The image quality is much better using this feature than the standard exposure at 24mm. I have yet to take the raw files and stitch them in PS to compare but will do so and report results. The zoom feature for me worth the sacrifice of the larger sensor. The time it saves me in composing working at a safe distance the shot is huge plus. The 24mm vs the 28mm of the Pro 2 was another consideration. With altitude restrictions of 400' and less around NFZ, I find it much easier to get what I need with the 24mm.

I also want to say how pleased I with the Mavic 2 platform. Before this purchase the Spark was my only experience with DJI. Although I think the Spark is an incredible value, the M2 precision and smoothness is just so much better. Thumbswayup
I have to agree with everything as i am a huge fan of the Zoom.
I am always amazed at well the High Res pictures come out with so little work involved,

I hope you post some of your pictures .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in and out of the storm
Coal

I don't think 24mm vs 28mm would make much difference in safety. However being able to zoom 2x (48mm optical) and 4x (2x optical plus 2x electronic) has had me feel safer than having to fly closer.

Reactions: Gindra
I am very interested in this--I don't fully understand. When you are referring to the "High-Res Module" do you mean the HDR (High Dynamic Range)? If not, then where do I find the "High-Res Module?"

I am very interested in this--I don't fully understand. When you are referring to the "High-Res Module" do you mean the HDR (High Dynamic Range)? If not, then where do I find the "High-Res Module?"
High-res feature, not module. It's like a panoramic except it takes 9 12MP pictures in a 3x3 grid, and stitches them up into a higher pixel photo. It's one of the still camera modes if I recall correctly.

I used it once to figure out what the small branch was, being still on my roof for a couple weeks. Found out from the photo it was the skin and bone remains of a squirrel. I guess a large bird used my roof as a dining table.

Reactions: ff22 and Gindra
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S