DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic3 Crashed

sbm

Reactions
Hi Friends ,
A lesson learned today , in a hard way.
I was flying my new M3 , it was just hovering 25ft above ground beside a brick wall.
the sequence are as below
1>Low light condition
2>It started to hover with bottom AUX LED light on (set to Auto) and Home point updated with 23 GPS.
3>After few seconds AUX LED light goes off (normal , it did that way)
4>Within 1-2sec , it started to drift towards the brick wall (left side) , no control , no touch on the stick from my side.
5>Increasing the speed automatically , all stick control became ineffective
6>Crashed to the wall hard
7>Two prop shattered , front legs LED damage , multiple scratch on the body.
8>All sensor working , Camera + Gimbal working checked again.

Question
Is it absolutely necessary to have ample lighting to fly a drone ?
AUX LED goes off automatically , if the lighting is not sufficient why it went off ? It should detect the lighting condition and stayed on ?
Why the drone started to drift ? How a drift is correlated with low light.
Why the control was non-responsive ?

Again I will try to accept this incident and will continue to fly the same.
In our country there is no official DJI support and any warranty or damage repair is hard to find.

I am posting to clarify my confusion.
Thanks

Question
Is it absolutely necessary to have ample lighting to fly a drone ?
No ... but with inadequate lighting (at low heights) the downward sensors won't be able to hold position.
If there are nearby obstacles that can end up badly.
Why the control was non-responsive ?
It's not possible to tell without seeing the recorded flight data.

Thanks for the reply
What is the Aux led function?
There are IR Sensor at the bottom, what is their function.

Aux light is to help with landing.
Did the brick wall block GPS reception?
Lack or screen recording of warnings the only way to learn more is from the flight log. You can upload the .txt file to your AirData account and privately learn a lot about what happened or you can upload the .txt file to a public site for all to see and evaluate.

Reactions: Richard R
Ive flown my Mavic 3 in low light conditions a few times. It definitely requires more attention and pilot input to maintain steady flight. Mine has warned me in very low light that the collision warning sensors are off and to be careful. The drone for sure drifts a lot more.

I am thinking the same , M3 drifts much more than A2S in the exact same location with same lighting condition.
What the use of IR sensor though ? Can anyone explain ?
Without drone rotor wash in effect (mine was flying about 25ft above ground) , no stick input , no wind , why a drone drift horizontally all of a sudden with such high speed ? Even if it is in ATTI mode , it should not be ?
BTW , after updating to firmware .700 (i.e. GPS fix firmware) my M3 multiple times showing compass calibration prompt.And the same for .800 also.
I did calibrate without any issue , but with the old firmware it was never ever prompted me , exact same location , no new construction nothing changed around.
I did test again today , same exact outcome , fortunately this time I could control the M3 before being crashed second time.
Something happening with this model I think , may be firmware ?

I am thinking the same , M3 drifts much more than A2S in the exact same location with same lighting condition.
What the use of IR sensor though ? Can anyone explain ?
The IR sensor is for precision distance measurement to the surface below the drone.
See p21 of your manual where this is all explained

Without drone rotor wash in effect (mine was flying about 25ft above ground) , no stick input , no wind , why a drone drift horizontally all of a sudden with such high speed ? Even if it is in ATTI mode , it should not be ?
You are asking questions that cannot be answered without seeing your recorded flight data to know what actually happened.
In atti mode the drone has no position holding ability and drifts easily.

I did test again today , same exact outcome , fortunately this time I could control the M3 before being crashed second time. Something happening with this model I think , may be firmware ?
No .. it's got nothing to do with the model or firmware and everything to do with where you are flying and how you fly it.
Fly in an area well clear of obstacles.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo