DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max weight you carried?

AMann

Reactions
Hello,

I have a IR modified GoPro-type camera that I want to use for multispectral photography, and am thinking that I probably should use it with a Inspire that I will buy using a bit of my kid’s college fund, but I bought a Mavic P2 instead. Any one have any successful experiences flying with a GoPro mounted on your Mavic? As the bottom of the P2 is different in that it doesn’t have many places to put the camera pointing down, Im limited to the front part of the top and will shift center of gravity forward as a result. Does this work?

Mapir makes a forward mount for their camera for the pro, but it won’t fit the MP2 and I do have some concerns about doing it:

DJI Mavic Pro MAPIR Survey3 Single Camera Mount

-thanks for your input if youve done this before.

Last edited:
It will definitely carry it, though I'm not sure why you didn't just buy the Inspire.

It will definitely carry it, though I'm not sure why you didn't just buy the Inspire.

Price difference mainly, I’m experimenting and wanted to have a small portable UAV to backpack into various places for doing aerial photography for spring monitoring, and wildlife surveys. I dont think an inspire would have been really good for that, but on the other hand it certainly can carry more payload. I am also playing around with pulling the lens and sensor out of my camera and putting a extention ribbon cable on it so that the body can mount on top of the Mavic in the center of gravity, and the lens and sensor will be on the bottom looking straight down - its footprint is much smaller than the GoPro body and can fit well between the Mavic sensors and LED light port on the belly.

I am using a Mapir cam on my Inspire1. Flight time is not noticable affected and i am receiving good results.
I tried that cam on my Mavic Pro with an 3D printed mount on the front side of the airframe. It will carry the cam, the weight is not a problem. The system is nose heavy and you will notice an increased temperature on both front motors. The results of the produced imagery showed a little bit more motion blur as of the Inspire 1 images.

Reactions: AMann
I am using a Mapir cam on my Inspire1. Flight time is not noticable affected and i am receiving good results.
I tried that cam on my Mavic Pro with an 3D printed mount on the front side of the airframe. It will carry the cam, the weight is not a problem. The system is nose heavy and you will notice an increased temperature on both front motors. The results of the produced imagery showed a little bit more motion blur as of the Inspire 1 images.
Ok, sounds like it is ok but do you know what the lowest useable exposure settings (speed) you were able to use with the Mavic Pro? Also, my MP2 has a lot more sensor portsnon its belly so I am limited on where I put the camera for good Nadir shots, thus Im thinking of isolating the sensor with a extention cable. Perhaps I should have bought a larger model, even the Phantom, but I really like the compact Maverics.

do you know what the lowest useable exposure settings (speed)
I did not experiment with that setting, because the Mavic Pro was just a short test, i prefer the Inspire for that task.

I just looked at the EXIF data taken with the MP:

Make MAPIR
Model Survey3W_OCN
Exposure 1/1000
Aperture 2.8
Focal Length 3.4 mm
ISO Speed 100
Flash Auto, Did not fire

I did not experiment with that setting, because the Mavic Pro was just a short test, i prefer the Inspire for that task.

I just looked at the EXIF data taken with the MP:

Make MAPIR
Model Survey3W_OCN
Exposure 1/1000
Aperture 2.8
Focal Length 3.4 mm
ISO Speed 100
Flash Auto, Did not fire

Wow, so was that photo taken with the 1/1000th setting still blurry or sharp? Id think it was sharp. Also since your aperture setting was full open, that may have had something to do with the blurriness too. I try to use a slightly higher ISO and one of the middle aperture settings along with a high shutter speed (no less than 1/250) when possible. I haven’t tested it out fully but most lenses are sharper that way. Does your Mapir camera have settings that you can control those? If it’s auto, oh well, it’s probably optimized for those settings anyway.

Thanks for posting that info!

still blurry or sharp?
I think, the blur might be caused by the 'quick'n dirty' mount. It could be possible that vibrations from the airframe are being induced to the cam. A rubber dampening system likely eliminate these.

No problems with the Inspire images ... (The camera is mounted with 4 rubber pieces)

Does your Mapir camera have settings that you can control those?
Yes, it does.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka