DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max wind resistance ?

Eagle430

Reactions
Last week I at a party venue that they wanted a few photos from a drone (flying high and away from people)

It was very windy , I am using UAV forecast to check the wind and it was showing 45-46km/h wind guts. I didn't want to risk flying my drone as it I know it's rated for 38km/h. The party organizers were not at all happy that I was refusing to fly the drone.

The next hour the UAV forecast showed 43km/h wind guts so we agreed that I will lift the drone up in the air but if I get any warning in the app for high winds I will immediately land it. I took off , the winds were high as the drone's propellers worked overtime to hold the drone in place , it was moving around half meter left/right from the wind but it kept its position all the time. The odd thing is I never got any warning for wind in the dji go 4 app.
Layer I checked the wind with two other websites and both were showing that at that time the wind guts were 44-45km/h.

Is the mavic 2 pro capable of flying in winds over 38km/h ? Also why I didn't got any high winds warnings in the dji go 4 app?

We fly in extreme winds , an the drone is very capable , but you do have to watch that the props do not bend or the legs fold in up under such conditions.

As far as your situation < i think you were panicking based on the Forecast and what you were really flying in.
Sounds to me like you were going up in 10 mph 12 mph winds which would explain why you did not get any wind warnings.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

My limit is max 15m/s, real wind.
Most forecast overestimate the wind, unless you fly very high.

Bent props and arms I never heard of.

Never go downwind from homepoint.

Do the parameter hack for atti-mode. Really usefull for meassuring the wind.
It's very important to know the exact windspeed so you can calculate your flight from that.

Everytime I fly in high wind, it reminds me of my skydiving days. It exactly the same flying pattern. It's so similar it could be used as training for students.

The wind warnings might be disabled in the parameters, if you bought it used.
It was a common thing to do on the mavic2 since the warnings was very annoying.

The problem is that you're using Kph rather than Mph :). While joking I'm half serious too. Kph numbers make you think things are moving faster than Mph. The Mavic 2 can go up to 46 mph (74 Km/hr). It's easy to get frightened when you see 46km/hr which is only 29mi/hr. The wind gusts might be on the cusp for a Mini 2 and not good for a Mini 1. Practically speaking, a Mavic 2 should be good in winds of Levels 6 or 7 on the Beufort scales. While you should never push it, you can always test the drifing in higher winds by putting your drone straight up and observing first before moving it away from you.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
My limit is max 15m/s, real wind.
Most forecast overestimate the wind, unless you fly very high.

Bent props and arms I never heard of.

Never go downwind from homepoint.

Do the parameter hack for atti-mode. Really usefull for meassuring the wind.
It's very important to know the exact windspeed so you can calculate your flight from that.

Everytime I fly in high wind, it reminds me of my skydiving days. It exactly the same flying pattern. It's so similar it could be used as training for students.

The wind warnings might be disabled in the parameters, if you bought it used.
It was a common thing to do on the mavic2 since the warnings was very annoying.
Not bent arms, Arms that start to fold in on to the drone in extreme weather flying. Many times the wind can effect the Props to bend down skimming the sides of the drone. Not so much an issue with the Air 2 or Air 2s but we did see a lot with the mavic 2 in the Forum.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain

The problem is that you're using Kph rather than Mph :). While joking I'm half serious too. Kph numbers make you think things are moving faster than Mph. The Mavic 2 can go up to 46 mph (74 Km/hr). It's easy to get frightened when you see 46km/hr which is only 29mi/hr. The wind gusts might be on the cusp for a Mini 2 and not good for a Mini 1. Practically speaking, a Mavic 2 should be good in winds of Levels 6 or 7 on the Beufort scales. While you should never push it, you can always test the drifing in higher winds by putting your drone straight up and observing first before moving it away from you.
46 mph? As in max speed?

It was very windy , I am using UAV forecast to check the wind and it was showing 45-46km/h wind gusts.
First .. UAV forecast, like any forecast is just a forecast.
The actual wind where you are can be very different for several reasons.
The forecast wind is often not the wind you fly in.
I didn't want to risk flying my drone as it I know it's rated for 38km/h.
Second .. Your concept of the Mavic 2 being "rated for 38km/h (that's 10.5 metres/sec)" is wrong and DJI's spec for Wind Resistance is misleading.

Your drone can fly at 16 m/s in still air in P-GPS mode or 10.5 m/s with obstacle avoidance enabled.
It can also achieve 20 m/s in Sport Mode.

DJI's Wind Resistance figure is telling you that your drone can hold position (hovering with OA enabled) in wind speeds up to 10.5 m/s.
At stronger wind speeds, the drone would be slowly pushed away from the position it tries to hold.
But with OA disabled or using Sport Mode, you could fly against the same wind and make headway (but your speed would be reduced by that of the wind).

The next hour the UAV forecast showed 43km/h wind guts so we agreed that I will lift the drone up in the air but if I get any warning in the app for high winds I will immediately land it.
DJI's wind warnings aren't much use.
They come on when the drone calculates a wind of 7 m/s.
Whether a 7m/s is a serious issue depends on the direction of the wind relative to where you are flying and the distance away from the homepoint.
If you just wanted to go up and back, or fly upwind and come back with a tailwind, it's no concern at all.
If you find yourself a long way downwind with a long flight home against the wind it might be a serious issue, (depending in distance and battery level).

Is the mavic 2 pro capable of flying in winds over 38km/h ?
Yes ... but whether you can bring the drone back will depend on the direction of the wind and your flight, as well as the distance away that you fly.
Flying downwind in strong winds is an easy way to lose your drone.
But you could safely have a slow flight directly into the same wind and an easy flight home.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22