DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maximum Altitude Reached Indoors

jrhowell

Reactions
Can someone help me understand the altitude issues when flying a Mavic 2 Pro indoors? I've had several projects flying inside a big coliseum that I'd like to better understand.

This is inside, so there isn't any GPS. Therefore I should be in ATTI mode. I've also turned off Obstacle Avoidance since I need to fly close to walls.

Just FYI, I do use Prop Guards. They've saved me at least once.

So ... if I launch from the floor, the Mavic will only go up about 15 feet or so before I get the message "Maximum Altitude Reached".

I have learned to launch from a balcony area. Then it seems I can go as high as I want. I'm typically 50 feet or so above the floor when I shoot.

It seems there is a downward sensor that likes to see the floor. However, if I fool it by flying off the balcony it doesn't seem to mind.

If I fly down to the floor, I have to scale the seats to get up to the balcony.

Any idea how to turn this safety feature off?

Thanks for any insight.

JR

Reactions: kc0hsd
you should be able to turn off the downward sensors ,unless because you are flying without GPS then they cant be disabled

If your in Pmode, the biggest problem, at least for me, was the upward sensor, which always detected the ceiling,

I wouldnt turn of vision sensors because thatll put you in atti mode, if your without gps lock, youll probably fly into a wall.

When your in sport mode but you leave the vision sensor On
(in the bottom setting folder, within the obstacle avoidsnce menu) you stay in vision mode so the vision sensor, on the bottom, uses the 'image' of the floor below it to hold its 2D (X, Y) position, while sport mode disables the upward obstacle sensor, removing your upward limit (Z) (beware you can fly straight into everything up, down, side to side, in this mode, but when sticks are centered, AC usually is steady. I forget if momentum plays a role, like in atti, or if it brakes immed upon stick release?) which doesnt appear to be on/off selectable, other than entering sport mode.

Have fun

Last edited:
Reactions: jrhowell
Can someone help me understand the altitude issues when flying a Mavic 2 Pro indoors?
Any idea how to turn this safety feature off?
Have a look at p57 in the manual to get an idea of what's happening.
Height is restricted to 16 ft (5 m) when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Vision System is activated.
Height is restricted to 98 ft (30 m) when the GPS signal is weak and Downward Vision System is inactivated.

In other words, turn off the downward sensors and you can climb to 30 metres without GPS.
Leave them on and you only get to 5 metres.

Thanks for the help and appropriate manual reference. This all kind of makes sense now. I think I’ll retain the downward sensor and just fly off the balcony. Kind of all makes sense now. The downward sensor may help me land and maintain position. I’m doing a rectilinear photo matrix so maybe I’ll just shoot more shots from 5m. May be more consistent that way.
Again. Thanks for the help.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54