DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Measure speed of cars using drone

Thor Hansen

Reactions
Hey

I have a problem with speeding cars in my street and thought perhaps I could use the Mavic to film cars below, mark two lines in the street and use some sort of software afterwards to determine the speed of the cars.

Any ideas in this? Can it be done? Or is there a better way?

Regards
Thor

Software? It's just simple mathematics using the very systems you've mentioned but as you don't have a timer you'll need to use your frames per second to calculate how long it takes to get from one line to the next

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

In fact if you're using your frames per second there wouldn't be a need to have lines on the ground, just calculate how far the car travelled in a 1 second shot

Scrap that you will need lines, perhaps 1 line every foot....

So for example. If you're shooting 25 frames per second then that means there's 0.04 seconds between each individual frame...

ISo....if the car is travels 3 feet per frame then the cars travelling at 75 feet per second or 51.2mph (or 82.4kph)

Hey

Thanks. I know how to calculate the speed. My issue is that there will be a few hundred cars passing in the time I have the Mavic in the air. I don't feel like doing that manually.

I was hoping there would be some sort of software I could use instead.

/Thor

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki