DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Memory card

J Shank

Reactions
I would like to buy a 128gb or larger card. Can someone recommend the best avail card. I've searched the forum and can only find recommendations for 64gb. Thanks

I would like to buy a 128gb or larger card. Can someone recommend the best avail card. I've searched the forum and can only find recommendations for 64gb. Thanks
Just so you know, the Mavic isn't rated for anything above 64G. Some people have had success with a 128G, but it is not dependable for others. Just a heads up.

Reactions: J Shank
I use a Samsung 256gb card all the time. Total overkill but i got it for free with my S7 as a promotion so why not.
You should be good with any UHS 3 card

You can use any MicroSD but has to be UHS-I/U3. Class 10 won't work because is not fast enough for 4K!

You can use any MicroSD but has to be UHS-I/U3. Class 10 won't work because is not fast enough for 4K!

Not true, It has to be at least UHS-I U1. The drone records at roughly 7-8mb/s @ 4k/30fps. The video bitrate is only 60mbit/s max. U3 is fine but way overkill.

The Mavic will work with a 256GB card. The card I recommended will work fine. Personally I prefer to us two 64GB cards rather than one large card.

Rob

Reactions: WIMMPYIII
Good question is how many full time recording 20-25min flights at 4k could you fit on a 64GB card? a lot id think.
I have one for my Phantom. I usually get 90 min or so. But sometimes I go to the mountains for the weekend and it's not convenient to bring the lap top.

Reactions: WIMMPYIII
In South Africa the Mavic Ships with a 2 x 64 gig cards included from some resellers. I purchased a 128 Gig and to add to my sandisk collection and they work well. Even in 4K. The claim that UHS 1 cards wont record 4K on the mavic is not true. Its the bit rate of the $K that will or will not allow a unit to record 4K. While a UHS1 wont allow you to record 4K on a Black Magic or a Panasonic DVX200 because its shoots at over 100Mbits is true, the Mavic only runs around 35 Mbits in MP4 and it does it no problem. I use the same cards on my my Inspire 1 with an X3 Camera and it Pulls 4K no prob. I do this for a living

Last edited:
Reactions: cplmac and J Shank
The Mavic will work with a 256GB card. The card I recommended will work fine. Personally I prefer to us two 64GB cards rather than one large card.

Rob

2 x 64gb cards are better value & speed imo, especially if using in other devices.
If you do get the 128gb one, make sure you get the latest version like guy said.
The original sandisk 128gb was very slow. Watch out for fakes with 128gb+ cards

I have been using a 128GB SanDisk Extreme and it works well untill you start to reach 64gb of storage on that card. This weekend I was recording a long video and started to receive storage / Buffer errors and memory full alerts. This is the same messages I receive as I start to max out a 64gb or 32gb card.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has successfully stored more than 64gb on a large capacity card.

My feeling is the manual is correct and 64gb cards are the max supported. Larger capacity cards are usable but the extra overhead storage is wasted.

Yes, I believe Timothy Sunday said in his video that he used 256GB card all the way.

Rob

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtlesn