DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Menwith Hill, UK - question for US ex/current forces chaps?

deggers

Reactions
Here's one for you. I've found a RC model club who have an airfield they have planning permission from Harrogate Council to fly from. This in my eyes gives a big ol tick in the you can fly around that area with a drone box.

Except its right outside Menwith Hill - so if I took ones Mavic up to Menwith hill and launched it from the other side of the road near the model clubs airfield and took an amazing shot of the "golf balls" -- a. is my drone going to be taken down by future space age military powers (surely its a security risk), and b. am i going to be hunted and taken down bundled into an unmarked mod car and c. shot never to be seen again.

Seriously though - if someone on here knows someone in that area or has worked in that area and can clarify than would be awesome.

Or I could drive up to the front gates and just ask ha - waving a white flag and laughed out of town. Seems like I'm playing with fire at the thought of going up there. :)

Edit - just so you get the jist how close, literally over the road, this rc airfield appears to be - see here Google Maps and not a DJI listed NFZ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike357
Ha, good questions asked mate, if you never reply we know you got bundled in to an unmarked van :D

Looking at the NATS app, seems Leeds Bradford Airport may be a higher risk than the MOD site :rolleyes:

IMG_0504.PNG

@Ping^Spike - Aye - all of Leeds is class D outside the airport zone.. including the Leeds City Council approved drone / rc park at Middleton you can fly in, which I find odd.

I noticed the Harrogate planning permission that went through for the RC club to fly up there said as long as they don't cross the B6451 or Menwith Hill Road, basically fly away from the base only, then their use of the field for RC was approved. Except and rc plane, quad - doesn't have a camera attached to it and I do want to take piccies video of flying with the golf balls in the background.

I have no plans on entering the yellow zone just the "rc" field opp.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Cool, thanks for the link mate, I had no idea DJI had this info on their actual website!

Sorry, at the risk of pulling your thread off topic mate, I tried to view NFZs in the app (not connected to the drone tho) but it didn't seem to show me any?

Here's a nearby stadium in the GO4 app, doesn't appear to have any warnings near it:

IMG_0506.PNG

But looking at the same stadium on the DJI web site, I take it the Mavic won't let me fly there?

IMG_0507.PNG
But the NATS app says fly with caution:

IMG_0508.PNG

Conflicting information? Or will the GO4 app only show NFZs while connected to the Mavic?

Here's one for you. I've found a RC model club who have an airfield they have planning permission from Harrogate Council to fly from. This in my eyes gives a big ol tick in the you can fly around that area with a drone box.

Except its right outside Menwith Hill - so if I took ones Mavic up to Menwith hill and launched it from the other side of the road near the model clubs airfield and took an amazing shot of the "golf balls" -- a. is my drone going to be taken down by future space age military powers (surely its a security risk), and b. am i going to be hunted and taken down bundled into an unmarked mod car and c. shot never to be seen again.

Seriously though - if someone on here knows someone in that area or has worked in that area and can clarify than would be awesome.

Or I could drive up to the front gates and just ask ha - waving a white flag and laughed out of town. Seems like I'm playing with fire at the thought of going up there. :)

Edit - just so you get the jist how close, literally over the road, this rc airfield appears to be - see here Google Maps and not a DJI listed NFZ.
Hi, well you’de be asking for trouble with a flying camera near the golf balls when there are a million other field you could fly from, so yes, best steer clear
I did an auto circuit of the 8 wind turbines off pennypot road and that’s a great place, including across the road where the reservoirs are.

I have a small airfield a few miles from me and the Go 4 app warns about it. However the NATS app doesn't. Looking into it, Go 4 has a warning zone of 5 miles whereas NATS has 2miles. This website Aerodrome Traffic Zone (ATZ) - SKYbrary Aviation Safety shows the definition of an ATZ and it's clear that Go 4 is inaccurate, at least in the UK.

Given that NATS is the official body in the UK I would rather abide by its own app.

I am a member of a flying club and we pay quite a lot of money to rent and maintain our field having council permission does not give you the right to fly exactly were how and when you want you could contravene these permissions that the club is abiding by causing a big problem for them, because they will get the blame if you are causing a problem, you could contact them and just ask there opinion may not be positive but at least you have tried a short while ago my club was involved with the BMFA drone aware week so many clubs are trying to address these issues in a good and positive way

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78