DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Metal rattle on motor

iamdev

Reactions
Hello everyone,

I'm heartbroken as I've just lightly crashed my DJI Mavic Air 2 into a tree. After a 3 foot drop, one motor makes a metallic rattle sound.

The drone gave me a message saying impact, and that I needed to restart the drone.

I've removed the prop, and when I spin the motor with my finger, it sounds metallic, none of other motors sound this way, and the sound started as soon as I restarted the drone.

I've tried using my breath to blow out debris.

The drone still flies fine, but I am scared of a bad bearing that could lock up, or further damaging my drone and would appreciate advice.

sounds like you have a loose magnet that is catching on the stator as it rotates

Reactions: iamdev and Thomas B
sounds like you have a loose magnet that is catching on the stator as it rotates

Thanks for your response.

I spun it up without the prop to see if the motor shaft was bent. Looks good.

Let it hover and did some movements to observe. All looks good.

I took out my magnifier and inspected, couldn't any significant difference compared to the other rear motor.

I'm still concerned.
  • What is the severity of a loose magnet?
    • Should I not fly anymore until repair?
    • I don't have DJI refresh (wish i did now....)
  • Are there additional steps that I can do to troubleshoot further?

<EDIT> Also forgot to mention, the drone is brand new, I've owned it two days </EDIT>

Last edited:
have you tried to use an air puffer or some canned air to blow through the motor as @Thomas B said could be something in the motor from the crash good luck hope you find the issue

Reactions: iamdev
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard