DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mexico

I just got back. I did not take my drone. Many said not to worry and that they had no problems, but the wording of the Mexican drone law said I had to be a citizen.
The link is in the document linked below, but it is in Spanish:

Has anyone ever taken their drone to Mexico? I'm going to Cabo and would love to take it but don't want it taken or any trouble

I have taken my drone to MX a few times. We went to Cabo for a few days in May and I traveled with my Mavic Pro in my carry-on. I used it a few times at the beach resort and off of a public beach with no issues.

I have never felt like the airport would be any issue or that it is illegal to possess a consumer drone in MX. I haven’t, for example, ever encountered any bold warning signs declaring drones illegal or anything.

Overall, I just used some common sense and felt pretty ok so long as i wasn’t bothering anyone. When I did fly, no one seemed to pay any particular attention.... I just did my normal thing of finding a more isolated place to launch and got up to altitude so it wasn't too noisy.

My two thoughts on MX: 1) the laws and law enforcement are more fluid there, so it is more about not attracting lots of attention and general courtesy in any encounter with law enforcement. 2) MX is safer than the media would have you believe today, but we still travel there with some caution. My point being that were I to get into any trouble in MX.... losing my drone is not my major concern. So if you have decided to go to MX, take the drone, use common sense and courtesy and you should be fine.

I have taken my drone to MX a few times. We went to Cabo for a few days in May and I traveled with my Mavic Pro in my carry-on. I used it a few times at the beach resort and off of a public beach with no issues.

I have never felt like the airport would be any issue or that it is illegal to possess a consumer drone in MX. I haven’t, for example, ever encountered any bold warning signs declaring drones illegal or anything.

Overall, I just used some common sense and felt pretty ok so long as i wasn’t bothering anyone. When I did fly, no one seemed to pay any particular attention.... I just did my normal thing of finding a more isolated place to launch and got up to altitude so it wasn't too noisy.

My two thoughts on MX: 1) the laws and law enforcement are more fluid there, so it is more about not attracting lots of attention and general courtesy in any encounter with law enforcement. 2) MX is safer than the media would have you believe today, but we still travel there with some caution. My point being that were I to get into any trouble in MX.... losing my drone is not my major concern. So if you have decided to go to MX, take the drone, use common sense and courtesy and you should be fine.
Yeah I have been to cabo multiple times but have never seen anyone with a drone, but I have seen videos taken on medano beach. True that getting in trouble there the last thing you would worry about is a drone, but I've never felt anything but safe in Cabo, no way Playa Del Carmen was a little different.

Reactions: joeywestside
Was on the beach about 5 miles sout of Los Barilles last month. Wish I had taken the drone now... just worry about Mexican customs on the way in.

I'm in Cabo now and flew my drone today, no issues. Been flying all over Baja this month and getting great shots. The Grey Whales are in town. Also flew in Playa del Carmen in the fall and it was great there.

I've flown commerical to Mexico with a drone, and also driven in. No problems.

Here's Cabo today-
041808845ffe0a5140be4ae726dac68e.jpg

I agree with all the above posts to fly smart and be respectful. Just so you're aware, in Mexico drones over 250g are required to be registered, and you must be a Mexican citizen to register. Having said that, it seems like nobody knows or cares about it. I have a MA2. Also several Vanlife people on YouTube fly MA2's and MP2's without issue.

Have fun and happy flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman