DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Micro sd card too slow for 4k60 footage

IceAndNull

Reactions
Hi, I’ve been having an issue recording 4k60fps footage onto my micro sd card. Occasionally the video will stutter when viewing it back on a computer, although this isn’t a problem with the built in storage. I’m pretty sure the card just isn’t fast enough to keep up with it. Does anyone know of any sd cards that would work or how to possibly fix this? Thanks

I had this issue when first starting off, shortly after that I went back to the DJI website and noticed the following:
Recommended microSD Cards
SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB V30 A2 microSDXC
SanDisk High Endurance 64GB V30 microSDXC
SanDisk Extreme 64GB V30 A2 microSDXC
SanDisk Extreme 128GB V30 A2 microSDXC
SanDisk Extreme 256GB V30 A2 microSDXC
Lexar 667x 64GB V30 A2 microSDXC
Lexar High-Endurance 64GB V30 microSDXC
Samsung EVO Plus (Yellow) 64GB microSDXC
Samsung EVO Plus (Red) 64GB microSDXC
Samsung EVO Plus 128GB microSDXC
Samsung EVO Plus 256GB microSDXC
Kingston V30 128GB microSDXC
Netac 256GB A1 microSDXC

This is specifically important when shooting 4K@60fps on the MA2

Hi, I’ve been having an issue recording 4k60fps footage onto my micro sd card. Occasionally the video will stutter when viewing it back on a computer, although this isn’t a problem with the built in storage. I’m pretty sure the card just isn’t fast enough to keep up with it. Does anyone know of any sd cards that would work or how to possibly fix this? Thanks

Are you sure it's not the speed of the PC ?

Reactions: hiflyer201
Are you sure it's not the speed of the PC ?

If playing from the built in storage works, but not the card, it would seem to indicate an issue with the card.

Check Newegg for SD cards. I’ve scored really good deals in Sandisk A2 cards there.

Ok, I’ll stick my head out here. Recording at 4K/60 most likely means the codec used for storage was H.265. The latest, greatest version for storage of high resolution videos. Many post production programs are still having problems with the H.265 codec and are still recommending H.264 for the post production.

What to do?

There are free converters available, such as HANDBRAKE. These converters can easily convert the H.265 to H.264 CODEC without any loss of resolution.

Kudos to H.265 for being even more space saving, but unfortunately, not all post production programs can render H.265 smoothly, hence a possible reason for lagging in your video. H.264 and H.265 will produce the same quality video, it is only how the video is stored!

I discovered this with my GoPro Hero8. Within the Hero8 there are 2 means used to store videos. Depending on the speed, size, and setting. Hero8 will use the H.265 for what GoPro predetermined to be larger in storage size and H.264 for everything else video.

Another helpful hint for GoPro users. When you bulk copy from your SD card to your laptop or desktop, you can easily group the files according to extension. It is perfectly ok to bulk delete the files with extension of .thm and .lrv. These are the thumbnails and low resolution videos used only for playback viewing on the GoPro itself. They are useless otherwise!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter