DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MicroSD card speeds

wco81

Reactions
Finding it very slow. Copying about 22 GB to an SSD and it's taking at least 20 minutes.

I got the card as part of a kit. Its Samsung brand, 64 GB.

Not sure where I got the reader from but probably some generic SD card reader. Actually it's plugged into an Anker USB-C hub which has 4 USB-A ports.

Just as a comparison, I have a Nikon Z7 mirrorless full frame which uses XQD cards. I plug the card reader into this same hub, connected to the same laptop. That amount of data would take a minute or two at the most. It just flies.

So the USB-C hub isn't slowing it down at all.

Of course the XQD cards are ridiculously expensive. The 64 GB XQD card cost me like $140. The reader was relatively cheap, only $25.

Anyone try different brands and classes of microSD cards?

This website has some good info on it about the spec's and performance of various SD cards.
Best Memory Cards DJI Mavic 2 Pro / Zoom - Alik Griffin

The criteria that I keep at the front when choosing a card, is that it should be 'UHS Speed class 3' ... That's shown by the logo that looks like a letter 'U' with a 3 inside it. U3 cards will write data at a 'minimum' sustained write speed of 30 Mbytes/sec (240 Mbit/s). This is enough to guarantee that you capture frames at HD video settings. UHS speed class 1 (U1) cards will sustain 10 MB/s (80 Mbit/s), which means you may get frame drop in HD video.

The reader may be using a USB 2 protocol, which is very slow. Verify the specs of your reader. Note that the XQDcard is using a different protocol, so comparisons don’ t mean anything.

The reader may be using a USB 2 protocol, which is very slow. Verify the specs of your reader. Note that the XQDcard is using a different protocol, so comparisons don’ t mean anything.

Hope it's something that simple.

I think I used this reader previously for my older camera which still used SD. Seemed okay then.

I will try using the card slot built into my laptop next.

Hope it's something that simple.

I think I used this reader previously for my older camera which still used SD. Seemed okay then.

I will try using the card slot built into my laptop next.
Does your reader have a blue insert in the USB A plug. Most USB 3.0 capable readers have blue in the plug end. If not that's your slow down to USB 2 speeds.

One has to check all the way from the card reader, all hubs in chain, all cables in chain and port on PC including driver. If any are below USB 3.0, there's your bottleneck.

Also an adjacent port on the PC using an internal hub can drag down the port.

There is a limit on how many hubs you can cascade. Some physical hubs have multiple internal hubs cascaded. Example, an 8 port hub may use 2 4-port hub chips inside.

USB 3.0 can be a pain to get working properly on older PCs and add-in cards.

Does your reader have a blue insert in the USB A plug. Most USB 3.0 capable readers have blue in the plug end. If not that's your slow down to USB 2 speeds.

No it doesn't. I will try another one.

One has to check all the way from the card reader, all hubs in chain, all cables in chain and port on PC including driver. If any are below USB 3.0, there's your bottleneck.

Also an adjacent port on the PC using an internal hub can drag down the port.

There is a limit on how many hubs you can cascade. Some physical hubs have multiple internal hubs cascaded. Example, an 8 port hub may use 2 4-port hub chips inside.

USB 3.0 can be a pain to get working properly on older PCs and add-in cards.

Lapto is just over a year old. It has one USB-A port and two USB-C ports.