DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mind of Its own

Bella Vita

Reactions
I received my Mavoc Pro about three days ago. Did all the set up required according to the instructions and some You Tube help. Flew yesterday and was GREAT. Tried it out today and the aircraft did not respond to the controller correctly. Had beginner mode set but when I asked for descent it climbed and I could not get it down. The it started traveling forward about 100 feet and stopped. I kept the left stick down and it eventually came down to where it started. However, it would only hover about 4 ft high and NOT land. I had to grab it by the leg.
Any thoughts WHY this would occur?

I received my Mavoc Pro about three days ago. Did all the set up required according to the instructions and some You Tube help. Flew yesterday and was GREAT. Tried it out today and the aircraft did not respond to the controller correctly. Had beginner mode set but when I asked for descent it climbed and I could not get it down. The it started traveling forward about 100 feet and stopped. I kept the left stick down and it eventually came down to where it started. However, it would only hover about 4 ft high and NOT land. I had to grab it by the leg.
Any thoughts WHY this would occur?

Did you happen to change the setting for your controller layout (stick mode)? Might you not have been in Mode 2 as standard but rather in some other mode?

lisadoc
Thanks for your response.
Checking the app settings I find I am in Mode 2. Is it possible I had a very low GPS connection or just that the controller and the aircraft were not communicating due to the weather? Also, I did NOT calibrate my compass before this happened.

lisadoc
Thanks for your response.
Checking the app settings I find I am in Mode 2. Is it possible I had a very low GPS connection or just that the controller and the aircraft were not communicating due to the weather? Also, I did NOT calibrate my compass before this happened.

Did you have a compass error at the time (or before you took off)? Have you tried to fly since then?

Did you have a compass error at the time (or before you took off)? Have you tried to fly since then?
I may have had a compass error but then I do leave it disappeared. I have not flown since but plan to do so in a few days. Before flying this time I will recalibrate compass. Last night I fired up the controller and the aircraft and Communications between them seems normal.

Am away so not flying but plan to do so when i return. Is there a way to reset the controller to factory settings? I think my problem stemmed from bad GPS signal. Where I was has very poor sat communications. in fact cell phone reception is very weak, thereby possibly resulting in the lost communications with the screen too. Does that sound reasonable to you?

Am away so not flying but plan to do so when i return. Is there a way to reset the controller to factory settings?

No need to do that.

I think my problem stemmed from bad GPS signal. Where I was has very poor sat communications.

I don't think so. More likely it was a problem with your compass, as loss of GPS signal shouldn't cause such issues, but it is possible. Did you notice that the Mavic went into ATTI mode? If not, then it wasn't from GPS signal loss.

in fact cell phone reception is very weak, thereby possibly resulting in the lost communications with the screen too. Does that sound reasonable to you?

No. Cell phone reception has nothing to do with controlling your Mavic. In fact, many people fly in "airplane mode" on their cell phones and there's no reception in that mode at all. (and you probably should since you don't want a call or text interrupting your flight and the app). I fly with an iPad without cell service (WiFi only model), and it doesn't affect me in the least (other than in Follow me mode and with my location of the device denoted on the map). Even flying in WiFi mode for the Mavic (without a controller) doesn't require cell service.

Losing signal with your device means one of two things - you lost communication between the Mavic and the controller (if you had noticed that your controller lost signal too), or you lost the connection between the RC and the phone. If you were able to move the craft with the RC, then it's the connection to the device.

Did you get a compass error when you took off? Did you take off near a metal object or on concrete with rebar embedded in it? Metal will screw with your Mavic's compass and cause serious flight control issues. Simply move the Mavic to another area without the interference and take off from there.

There's also no need to recalibrate your compass all the time (in fact, it's probably not good). Once it is calibrated well, don't touch it unless the DJI Go app says you need to. If it tells you there's a problem with interference, move the craft, don't recalibrate the compass.

lisadoc.
Thank you sooooo very much for the very helpful info. It does appear it could have been a compass problem caused by taking off from a cement patio and I was standing near my generator. The RC appears to have disconnected from the aircraft but it returned home as is should. I calibrated the compass but did not fly again..will do so when return. Hopefully everything will be working properly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DvrkDrone