DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 1 or Mini 2 For First Drone

Thanks for the complements. I've watched a ton of videos about the controls, and the Fly app, to get as familiar as possible, without actually having the drone in my possession. I suspect getting use to the controls and their sensitivity to movement will take some time and I plan to do that without using the Fly app initially (unless that is a bad idea). After I get somewhat comfortable with that part, I plan to focus on the Fly app features / functions and play with them. Lastly I will start using the video and pic capabilities.

I've thought about possibly getting a license but will wait until I get a sense of whether or not this is a hobby I will spend a bunch of time with or not. After the initial excitement and WOW wears off, I may find that this little drone is enough and / or it may not get used much. However if I get into this and decide I want a bigger and better drone I will certainly get a license and register the drone. I've already watched a video about the testing in Canada and how difficult it is. It was a very informative video and it was obvious that you need to study hard to pass it. This isn't some BS test like the one to get a boating license.
First, you'll find it not that hard to fly. The GPS makes stability and predictability make it easy to learn. Becoming smooth and precise takes more practice, but it comes in stages. The more you fly with some semblance of purpose the more your practice improves your flying.

Along the lines of "purpose", I think it is important to understand that basically you've purchased a flying camera. Once the newness wears off, having a reason to fly really helps to keep ones interest. A drone is a great entry into photography and video. It can also suck you into editing too at some level which is yet another learning curve for those who want to go down that road. Pretty much anything you shoot from the sky has a unique aspect that most of us haven't done before. I think the key is to start to think of all the unique things you can do with your new Mini and then start doing them.

Bon chance

Reactions: Hillbilly1236
Good news, I just downloaded the Fly app on my old IPad.

Question about the Fly app. Does it need to know my location to work properly? I turned it on but would prefer not to.
IPads are a particular breed...First no it doesn't need your (You actual/device) position. The drones GPS will be used to set way point. IF and here is the iPad thing. IF your ipad is not a 4GLTE/Wifi iPad it doesn't have a GPS module in it anyway.

IF it is a WiFi only iPad of any model series...NO GPS. If it has 4G or was originally tied for service....Sprint/At&T...T-Mobile...ect, then it will have a GPS module in it and you can then tell your Drone to come to controller location vice take off point or switch between the two, or update during flight between the two.

Lastly...IF it is a GPS model...you do not need to have any service tied to it...meaning you don't have to have a account with a carrier...so no plan or monthly bill...ect. The GPS Module is active when you power on the phone.

There is a way to find out if it is a carrier GPS equipped tablet, but not worth worrying about at this stage. As it either is or isn't and it isn't needed for normal flight anyway.

IPads are a particular breed...First no it doesn't need your (You actual/device) position. The drones GPS will be used to set way point. IF and here is the iPad thing. IF your ipad is not a 4GLTE/Wifi iPad it doesn't have a GPS module in it anyway.

IF it is a WiFi only iPad of any model series...NO GPS. If it has 4G or was originally tied for service....Sprint/At&T...T-Mobile...ect, then it will have a GPS module in it and you can then tell your Drone to come to controller location vice take off point or switch between the two, or update during flight between the two.

Lastly...IF it is a GPS model...you do not need to have any service tied to it...meaning you don't have to have a account with a carrier...so no plan or monthly bill...ect. The GPS Module is active when you power on the phone.

There is a way to find out if it is a carrier GPS equipped tablet, but not worth worrying about at this stage. As it either is or isn't and it isn't needed for normal flight anyway.
Lots of great info and thanks. I'm pretty sure my IPad does not have GPS, based on what I understand from your post, as it has never been used for cell service. In any case it appears that it is not needed so I should be good to go with what I have.

Thanks for the complements. I've watched a ton of videos about the controls, and the Fly app, to get as familiar as possible, without actually having the drone in my possession. I suspect getting use to the controls and their sensitivity to movement will take some time and I plan to do that without using the Fly app initially (unless that is a bad idea). After I get somewhat comfortable with that part, I plan to focus on the Fly app features / functions and play with them. Lastly I will start using the video and pic capabilities.

I've thought about possibly getting a license but will wait until I get a sense of whether or not this is a hobby I will spend a bunch of time with or not. After the initial excitement and WOW wears off, I may find that this little drone is enough and / or it may not get used much. However if I get into this and decide I want a bigger and better drone I will certainly get a license and register the drone. I've already watched a video about the testing in Canada and how difficult it is. It was a very informative video and it was obvious that you need to study hard to pass it. This isn't some BS test like the one to get a boating license.
The basic test is fairly straightforward. I got 93% with no previous study (wanted to challenge myself). The advanced test, however, is quite a bit more challenging. Personally, I found the whether section to be the most difficult. Don Drones On has some great videos regarding the information you need to know for the tests. I believe he sells a study kit as well. Here’s a link to his basic test study guide video:

Thanks for that. I watched the whole thing and it looks like he is suggesting a fair amount of reading before attempting the test. Did you have any prior experience that would aid in taking the test?

I found this video today and it does not give me comfort with my new purchase that is in transit. If you look at the comments there are a lot of people experiencing the same thing. This guys is obvioulsy experienced and know what to do. I have zero experience and definitely don't want to experience this sort of thing. Would likely end up crashing my new drone and then the hassles of dealing with warranty. Hope I didn't get the wrong drone.

Just remember that most people don’t have issues, so don’t post all their successful
flights. Prepare yourself well. Take the time to read the full manual, probably a few times. Understand how the whole package works together. And as others have said, take it slow, give yourself lots of room for error and you’ll have a wonderful experience I’m sure.
Enjoy your new adventure to its fullest.

The same guy just posted another video stating the same thing has happened again. I sure hope I don't run into this problem. I ordered prop guards with my MM2 Fly More package, just for safety during my initial learning stage. Delivery of the MM2 is expected tomorrow and I can hardly wait but today I got an email from the vendor stating the prop guards are being shipped seperately and haven't been picked up by the courier yet. I'm peaved about this for a couple of reasons; 1) I could have picked up the MM2 Fly More package from a local seller on Saturday but they didn't have the prop guards. So I figured I would order from this supplier and get everything at once. I didn't really want to fly without the guards and 2) they didn't tell me they wouldn't or couldn't ship the prop guards with the rest of the order. I could have the MM2 on Saturday and been flying by now. :(

The same guy just posted another video stating the same thing has happened again. I sure hope I don't run into this problem. I ordered prop guards with my MM2 Fly More package, just for safety during my initial learning stage. Delivery of the MM2 is expected tomorrow and I can hardly wait but today I got an email from the vendor stating the prop guards are being shipped seperately and haven't been picked up by the courier yet. I'm peaved about this for a couple of reasons; 1) I could have picked up the MM2 Fly More package from a local seller on Saturday but they didn't have the prop guards. So I figured I would order from this supplier and get everything at once. I didn't really want to fly without the guards and 2) they didn't tell me they wouldn't or couldn't ship the prop guards with the rest of the order. I could have the MM2 on Saturday and been flying by now. :(
Sorry to hear that this is a bit of a pee off for you. Till the prop guards show up, find a nice big open space to practice in and you’ll be fine. Prop guards come in handy in tighter spaces. Also remember that the prop guards can get hung up in tree branches and such, sometimes making it harder to retrieve your drone. They have a purpose but aren’t the end all to protecting the drone.
Patience & enjoy the learning experience.

If I may add this: I currently use an iPhone 6, which does run the DJI fly app ok. HOWEVER: I'm on my fourth battery for this old phone, so it holds a pretty good charge, but few people with an old iPhone 6 would probably have this. You might find genuine new batteries on Ebay but beware of scammers. Check YouTube for videos on changing the battery and decide if you're up to it. Second, most of the time, I like using my 4 yr old iPad Pro, which is probably only a little more powerful. I have a Mini 1 and a Mavic Air 2. I will defer to the above posts about the tracking capabilities. You might go ahead and try whichever drone you pick with the iPhone 6 with the caveat that you may be looking at the iPad mini in the near future. FWIW, the iPad mini is very capable and popular. If I didn't already have my old iPad Pro, I'd probably go that route.

Sorry to hear that this is a bit of a pee off for you. Till the prop guards show up, find a nice big open space to practice in and you’ll be fine. Prop guards come in handy in tighter spaces. Also remember that the prop guards can get hung up in tree branches and such, sometimes making it harder to retrieve your drone. They have a purpose but aren’t the end all to protecting the drone.
Patience & enjoy the learning experience.
It's not the end of the world, just an annoyance and I'm sure I will forget about it soon enough. I certainly plan to practice in an open field until I get comfortable with the controls.

If I may add this: I currently use an iPhone 6, which does run the DJI fly app ok. HOWEVER: I'm on my fourth battery for this old phone, so it holds a pretty good charge, but few people with an old iPhone 6 would probably have this. You might find genuine new batteries on Ebay but beware of scammers. Check YouTube for videos on changing the battery and decide if you're up to it. Second, most of the time, I like using my 4 yr old iPad Pro, which is probably only a little more powerful. I have a Mini 1 and a Mavic Air 2. I will defer to the above posts about the tracking capabilities. You might go ahead and try whichever drone you pick with the iPhone 6 with the caveat that you may be looking at the iPad mini in the near future. FWIW, the iPad mini is very capable and popular. If I didn't already have my old iPad Pro, I'd probably go that route.
I've already got my old IPad Air loaded with the Fly app and have ordered a holder for it too. I just hope it's not too big. It's weird that you mention going through a bunch of batteries. My daughter says both of her old IPhone 6's have dead batteries and they don't hold a charge. So I went on line and see about getting a new battery for one of them and found all kinds of threads about bad batteries in the 6's. Maybe I'll just stick what I have for now and then reconsider if I find a need for something else.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the insight and think I will go with the M2, at least to start with that.

I am prepared to spend all of my initial efforts on learning to fly the drone and will not even look at the photography part until I feel confident in my abilities to fly it and respond to issues that arise.

I live in the country on 130 acres of heavily treed property and one of the things I want the drone for is to fly around the property to see what's going on. Lots of animals to see but there are a lot of high trees that will likely interfere with communications between the drone and the controller. I will have to slowly expand my flight distances to see what limitations I will have with the trees interference and how to respond to those situations. Then I can start playing with the photo part. I have a couple of areas where there are clearings that I can practice in, when the weather improves.

The side by side (SxS) is a lot of fun and offers my wife and myself a great recreation together. Where we camp there are lots of backroads and trails to ride on that lead to many different lakes. I think that aerial tracking would make great videos and thus the desire for tracking.
I fly in heavily forested habitats, too. Rule #1 is to remember that if you’re flying and the video link goes bad, climb. Nothing like altitude to reestablish a blocked signal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Myofb89