DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 excessive rotation

bburnett15

Reactions
I have been working on adjusting the control settings for the mini 2 and i have a question.
I find that when flying any kind of route that requires a change in altitude (especially climbing straight up, or coming straight down) the drone tends to yaw. The drone is so small, its hard to tell unless youre watching the screen.
I control the sticks with my thumbs- tried pinching and i cant make it work.
Its very frustrating!
Any advice?
Thanks

You are slightly pushing the stick left or right while changing altitude. Practice. You can also experiment with the advanced gimbal settings and the exponential settings.

Reactions: bburnett15
From memory you can display the stick positions on the flight replays in the App, if you can identify a flight where this occurred you could check whether or not you are "slightly pushing the stick left or right while changing altitude".

If I am mistaken about that then the Phantomhelp log viewer shows the stick positions DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

This might blow your mind and it might even sound bizarre, but I sometimes do not install the flying sticks onto my controller. I use my thumbs to roll the gimbal controls to make small precise movements and when the drones movement is exactly as it want, I just hold my thumbs in place, half on the gimbal and half on the front of the controller.

I do this when I want a continuous flight pattern as in circling a particular point, over and over again, and I could fly my drone in a circle less than 5-feet away from me for the entire battery. To perform a clockwise circle, I give my drone a bit of Right Roll and a bit of Left Yaw and when the circling keeps me in the center of the screen, I can walk away and the drone keeps circling. My Dronies can hypothetically go for 10KM (although the subject would only become a dot-one pixel).

When videotaping landscape, I sometimes fly in reverse with a slight yaw and it creates a very pleasant effect, all without the flight sticks installed.

Reactions: bburnett15
This might blow your mind and it might even sound bizarre, but I sometimes do not install the flying sticks onto my controller. I use my thumbs to roll the gimbal controls to make small precise movements and when the drones movement is exactly as it want, I just hold my thumbs in place, half on the gimbal and half on the front of the controller.

I do this when I want a continuous flight pattern as in circling a particular point, over and over again, and I could fly my drone in a circle less than 5-feet away from me for the entire battery. To perform a clockwise circle, I give my drone a bit of Right Roll and a bit of Left Yaw and when the circling keeps me in the center of the screen, I can walk away and the drone keeps circling. My Dronies can hypothetically go for 10KM (although the subject would only become a dot-one pixel).

When videotaping landscape, I sometimes fly in reverse with a slight yaw and it creates a very pleasant effect, all without the flight sticks installed.
ACTUALLY…you reminded me of an earlier post i read from someone who used small machine screws with the heads dipped in rubber which i wanted to try.
my problem is i dont have good feeling in my left hand, so once i stop moving my thumb, i cannot tell what position i stopped it in.
i still want to try the machine screw-thing but am not expecting a silver bullet.

Reactions: LoudThunder
FWIW- Something that seems to be working is when climbing straight up,if no potential obstructions i can watch the screen. When descending straight down, (if no potential obstructions), i can look at my stick/thumb position and screen briefly at the start and then focus on watching the drone descend.
…that and as suggested earlier-PRACTICE

From memory you can display the stick positions on the flight replays in the App, if you can identify a flight where this occurred you could check whether or not you are "slightly pushing the stick left or right while changing altitude".

If I am mistaken about that then the Phantomhelp log viewer shows the stick positions DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Do you know if there is something like that that works live?

I find that when flying any kind of route that requires a change in altitude (especially climbing straight up, or coming straight down) the drone tends to yaw.
To find out if the issue is caused by you or your drone, post flight data from a flight where you have experienced this.
The data will clearly show whether and how much the drone is turning and whether there were any non-straight ahead joystick inputs.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki