DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini-2: First Major Control System Malfunction

Chaosrider

Reactions
Today I launched my Mini-2 Phoenix on a somewhat tricky mission. There's a flag on a little rise next to Hwy 50 a ways down the canyon. I've seen it many times, and even gotten some decent footage of it. But the combination of its distance from my house, and the fact that it's down in the canyon, has made it difficult to look at closely within my tolerances for the RC control signal strength.

However, I had flown those previous phot recon missions from the forward flight deck, because it seemed obvious that I would get a less obstructed signal in that direction. When I was last out flying, with Defiant, I realized it might actually be a cleaner line of sight from the rear flight deck, if I moved closer to one edge. I set the camera to 1080p 60 fps, so that I could use the 4X zoom.

It worked great! I was able to get closer to the flag than I'd ever gotten before, and with an eagle eye on the signal strength level, I gradually reduced my elevation, to a mere 80 ft above the launch point. I kept nudging closer and lower, and then at one point, I just loitered to try to see a good breeze blowing the flag around. Got some great views! But coming back would be uphill and against the wind, so with a bit over 8 min left on the battery, I turned around to come home.

Then the world got difficult. Phoenix wouldn't climb at all. Full left stick up, nothing. And there are plenty of trees with peaks more than 80 feet above the launch point between me and that flag. There's was nothing for it but to bring him home, dodging the trees. Which was fine, until he started losing altitude. When he got down to 50 ft, I knew that we were in serious trouble.

Still, nothing for it but to keep coming home. There were several points where I was flying between two trees, both of them with tops above me. When I got through the last pair of pillars and had a straight shot to the driveway (my forward flight deck), I started to relax. But not a lot. At that point I had no good reason to believe that I could maintain the measly 50 ft that I had. I was tentatively planning to land on the driveway, because it was closer, but the altitude was holding and I had the power (barely) to make it around to the rear flight deck that I had launched from. Once I cleared the last of the trees, my concern shifted to whether or not he would descend when I told him to land.

But he did, and the landing was entirely uneventful.

What in the world could cause that? Complete inability to climb??

Phoenix was only the second of my three Mini-2s to fly with the most recent update. Without any real evidence to support it, I'm highly inclined to blame that update for the problem. It was the only change since Phoenix's last flight. I also suspect he will operate flawlessly when I next boot him up, but you can be sure that will be a timid test flight, conducted entirely over pavement, close to home.

Once he was safe on the ground, and in my hand, I thought that was scary and weird, but the great footage I got would be worth it. Which it might have been, if I hadn't forgotten to turn the ( Mod Removed Language)camera on!!

ARRRGHHHH!

TCS

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I suggest you add "following a descent it would not climb" to the title.

Flight log?

Did you reboot after installing the update?
There have been a few worrying incidents of this reported either here or on the DJI forum, have you done a search?

Last edited:
The answer lies on the fact that your drone wanted to land with 8 % Battery and thus why you could not gain altitude is what I am thinking off the cuff.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

About a month ago I updated my mini 2 firmware. (Delayed update. I always delay updates. So not the same as your update.)

My ceiling was capped at 100'. It told my I had to be logged in. So I (ahem) logged out and logged back in. My custom DJI profile disappeared and I became random DJI user number.

The story gets a little worse. But to your issue, maybe logging out and logging in will help. It's a reluctant suggestion. Because it may introduce new gremlins.

Can I suggest you add "following a descent it would not climb" to the title.

Flight log?

Did you reboot after installing the update?
There have been a few worrying incidents of this reported either here or on the DJI forum, have you done a search?
Well, the descent had been very gradual and incremental. It had been stabilized at the 80 ft elevation for a couple of minutes.

Yeah, I think this is my first "flight log worthy" experience!

I did *NOT* reboot after the install, which in retrospect was an error. Usually the updates are pretty clean and don't seem to need that, but this most recent one was more problematic.

I haven't done a search yet, maybe a good idea.

I realized that there was another change that might have made a difference. I just got a Starlink antenna, and it's sitting out on the back deck. For this flight, I was sitting relatively near it, to maximize my LOS to the target. It was turned off (full off, unplugged), but it was a change. How that would matter, and why it would only impact the climb command, I don't know.

But I have no desire to experiment around with that. Next time from the rear flight deck, I'll either sit at the opposite end from the antenna, or move the antenna inside for the duration.

It was a very weird experience.

Thx,

TCS

The answer lies on the fact that your drone wanted to land with 8 % Battery and thus why you could not gain altitude is what I am thinking off the cuff.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
8 minutes left, not 8%...

You're the flight log guy, yes? How do I send my logs?

Thx,

TCS

About a month ago I updated my mini 2 firmware. (Delayed update. I always delay updates. So not the same as your update.)

My ceiling was capped at 100'. It told my I had to be logged in. So I (ahem) logged out and logged back in. My custom DJI profile disappeared and I became random DJI user number.

The story gets a little worse. But to your issue, maybe logging out and logging in will help. It's a reluctant suggestion. Because it may introduce new gremlins.
We'll see. My expectation is that the problem will just be gone the next time I fire Phoenix up, and that the issue was just a random transient. Which is actually a bit disturbing...

My third Mini-2, Enterprise, hasn't yet gotten the recent update. If it warms up a bit, that will happen today.

One of the weirder aspects of this flight was that everything was normal initially...I climbed to my intended altitude of 225 ft without incident...and then in the middle of the flight, the ability to climb, or even hold altitude, suddenly degrades, while all other control motions were perfectly normal.

My intent for Enterprise today will be to use the forward flight deck rather than the rear, away from the Starlink antenna, and do a relatively tame mission that's almost entirely over streets that I could easily get to in the event of an unplanned landing.

It sounds like I'm not unique in having this problem, but that it's not a common outcome either.

It's just weird...

Thx,

TCS

Sounds a lot like critical battery forced landing... I think 8% is past the threshold.

I had a very similar experience with my MA1 doing a range test, almost made it back. When it forced landed, I could slow the descent with throttle, and move it horizontally, however just as you experienced it's coming down, period.

Sounds a lot like critical battery forced landing... I think 8% is past the threshold.

I had a very similar experience with my MA1 doing a range test, almost made it back. When it forced landed, I could slow the descent with throttle, and move it horizontally, however just as you experienced it's coming down, period.
See post #7.

"Got some great views! But coming back would be uphill and against the wind, so with a bit over 8 min left on the battery, I turned around to come home."

8 minutes! Not 8%!

In other cases, however, I have had an "Attack of the RTH". Sometimes when I'm coming in and the power is low, I can be only a few feet above the ground, in the process of landing, when the auto RTH kicks in, which would never work, because it didn't have nearly enough power left to climb to it's RTH altitude, and then come back down.

Over the last few months I've gradually increased the amount of power reserves I require. If it ever tells me the power is low, I bring it right home. Since I've been travelling a bit higher and farther, I've started bringing it home a minute or two before then.

I sure wish I had the vid from this flight. It's certainly not something I'll ever try to re-create on purpose...

Thx,

TCS

That just deepens the mystery, 'cause I've experienced about the same thing, although it didn't last 8 minutes...
I landed with about 3 minutes of time left. So the Mystery Failure went on for about 5 minutes.

TCS

@Chaosrider Why not upload the Flight log, let the experts analyze and explains what could have happened?
That's the plan.

I've just never done that before, so the first step in that process is figuring out how to do it...

;-)

TCS

That's the plan.

I've just never done that before, so the first step in that process is figuring out how to do it...

;-)

TCS

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929