DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 has the pitch angle limited when the camera is pointing straight down

[...] you don't have anything with the gimbal pointing -90 degrees & going backwards.

View attachment 122597

The -90° to +20° range is the gimbal's controllable range of motion. The mechanical limits are as shown here. This is for the Mini-1. I don't know for sure whether it's the same for the Mini-2, but suspect so.

Gimbal Mechanical Limits.jpg

Reactions: ckoerner
The -90° to +20° range is the gimbal's controllable range of motion. The mechanical limits are as shown here. This is for the Mini-1. I don't know for sure whether it's the same for the Mini-2, but suspect so.

View attachment 122606
You're missing the point ... this is a new badly implemented automated function that lowers the maximum AC speed when the gimbal is close to 0 or -90 degrees & by that makes the AC prone to blow aways as the deactivation of the function don't work.

I am curious, how were the charts in the opening post obtained?

It's made in excel from a downloaded .CSV from Airdata.

Would say that this really is a glitch & nothing else ...

From the manual ...

View attachment 122592

The AC apparently not counter higher winds in the way DJI intended ... if this glitch is constant or intermittent is so far unproven.
Yes, you are right. I guess what I meant to convey that it is a repeatable event in the right conditions or circumstances. I suppose the positive from this event is that it can be countered simply by moving the camera up or switching to photo mode.

Reactions: slup
It's made in excel from a downloaded .CSV from Airdata
Thanks

One other thought that has just come to mind, is this new 'feature' applicable to ONLY the Mini 2?

I am just wondering if it will clobber MM pilots using up to date firmware and App versions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

One other thought that has just come to mind, is this new 'feature' applicable to ONLY the Mini 2?

I am just wondering if it will clobber MM pilots on up to date firmware and App versions.
What a ridiculous issue. When your drone is blowing away and you're panicking trying to stop it, who would possibly think to adjust the gimbal unless they were aware of this problem? I wonder how many have lost their Mini 2 due to this.

countered simply by moving the camera up or switching to photo mode.
or sports mode if I understood the videos correctly.

It might be useful to post your adventure on the DJI forum and thereby draw it to DJI's attention. Maybe that will prompt their software people into putting out a fix.

Re "What a ridiculous issue.", indeed, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" comes to mind.

Reactions: teeroy
or sports mode if I understood the videos correctly.

It might be useful to post your adventure on the DJI forum and thereby draw it to DJI's attention. Maybe that will prompt their software people into putting out a fix
I signed up to their forum last night and went through all the threads pertaining to the mini 2 issues and did find one where an owner stated that his mini 2 drifted to the left but only when the camera was pointed straight down. I shared my issue but I have to build up another 30 points on the noob system to be able to start a thread.

Just post "nice video" comments etc. in multple threads lol, oh the response has to be more than 10 characters long I think

• Haha
I am curious, how were the charts in the opening post obtained?
The .TXT log file is produced by fly app 1.2.2 so it cannot be opened by CsvView but AirData can decode it. What I did was upload the .TXT file to AirData , download the .csv file produced by AirData and plot the charts in Excel. Its kind of tedious. Furthermore, the number of data fields in the .csv file of AirData is farrrrr less than that in the original .TXT log file.

The .TXT log file is produced by fly app 1.2.2 so it cannot be opened by CsvView but AirData can decode it. What I did was upload the .TXT file to AirData , download the .csv file produced by AirData and plot the charts in Excel. Its kind of tedious. Furthermore, the number of data fields in the .csv file of AirData is farrrrr less than that in the original .TXT log file.
I've not upgraded my Fly app from 1.2.1...should I do this? I was worried about doing it in case my Mini 2 decided to act up again and the flight data files would not be able to be diagnosed by you fine gents.

It gets better (or worse), it applies to the MM too, just tried it, App version 1.1.6, firmware 1.0.5. NO wind to speak of. Speed limited/reduced to 3.something m/s
I have only got about 70m of horizontal flight to play with so the charts are awfully scrappy, if someone could do longer runs and tilt the camera at full elevator to trigger and release the limiter etc.........

That's all with the camera pointing down, I didn't see any restrictions with the gimbal at 0 deg and didn't get to try upward tilts as it was getting dark and started to rain.

• Angry
I don't know, I have had one or two flights where it was being blown away but don't remember the gimbal tilts. The 'blow aways' were in squalls and short lived and I tend to fly with the camera around 0deg in those circumstances a I like to switch to FPV to see the 'fight'. I think I have only done one flight in what you might call strongish (for a MM) sustained wind and that was probably all FPV and '0'ish deg and there were no problems or scares during that flight.

The work around is fly in cini mode then speed it up in production. Or like me I do still shots with the mini and full video with my other drones

This just happened to me aswell. I was afraid off losing the drone. I then procedeed to put the Mini 2 in sport mode and it came straight back fullspeep. I'm glad I found this thread. Now I know what the problem is atleast.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent