DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 in wind

Thanks for the info, all gratefully received :) The restrictions are changing so hugely here in the UK that the 'downgrade' to a Mini2 really does look like a great option, even for licensed CAA approved drone pilots like me, particularly flying in built-up areas!

I think my main question is what wind speed figure to keep in my head when deciding whether to even risk flying the Mini2. I know that figure will be lower for the Mini2 than the Mavic Pro2, but I'm happy enough with working under those limitations, especially considering the ease of flying (and lower expense for training and CAA renewal fees).
I don't know if this helps, but the maximum speed I've attained with my Mini 2 is around 31mph. My M2 has been up to 45mph. I think the Mini 2 is rated at Beufort 5 if I'm not mistaken. You have to remember that another factor when considering wind speed and fly-away is that you have to consider the battery longevity in heavier winds. The Mini 2 will hold up against fairly strong winds... until it runs out of power. And because it might be using 100% power to fight the wind you'l run out of battery a lot quicker, which has to be part of the consideration.

Why do you suppose the regulating authorities in the UK and EU are more aggressive with the regulations than here in the US? I happen to think, in a lot of ways, is now crossing the line to needless over-aggressiveness.

Reactions: NG Wildman
Thanks for the info, all gratefully received :) The restrictions are changing so hugely here in the UK that the 'downgrade' to a Mini2 really does look like a great option, even for licensed CAA approved drone pilots like me, particularly flying in built-up areas!

I think my main question is what wind speed figure to keep in my head when deciding whether to even risk flying the Mini2. I know that figure will be lower for the Mini2 than the Mavic Pro2, but I'm happy enough with working under those limitations, especially considering the ease of flying (and lower expense for training and CAA renewal fees).
I have recently renewed my PfCO to keep it live and to know that I can continue operating under the rules I am familiar with....but the apparent freedom of the mini 2 combined with its positive reviews is tempting me to jump in. I would certainly keep my M2Ps for the superior camera but the flexibility of adding the Mini 2 is appealing.

This is a video from a buddy on another site he posted, seems like....well...whatever your comfortable with. I haven't really flown my M2Z in over 25 sustained...maybe once for a tropical storm blow threw. His notes:
Pushing the limits of the DJI Mini2 with force 7 winds. Logs showed max wind was at 36.2 mph (58.2kmph) and this was all at 135ft AGL (41m).Hit that max wind at 0:47 obviously!

The video shows a gimbal shift at 0:47 which appears to be the gimbal software “glitch” many users online speak about while flying sideways with lots of videos showing the issue where the gimbal randomly twitches quickly to the left, which ruins otherwise great video shots.

Thankfully, it appears so far that DJI has addressed the issue in the .0100 update for the Mini 2.

Mini 2 is my first drone for two weeks. I am still learn how to fly. I tried to fly in 14 mph wind at 2-10 feet high in my yard. Although there was no strong wind alert on the console of DJI Fly app, I could see the drone was drifted by wind, and pretty hard to control. I had a few crashes when the drone hit plants and fence. Fortunately, there was no damage on the drone, even there was no a single scratch. Thanks to the nice quality!
Congrats on the new drone - great choice!

Always hard to resist taking off in the back yard but I’d hold off for now. The M2 is a tough little beast however keep in mind the flight sensors are sensitive instruments, as is the gimbal, which will sustain some level of damage with each crash of the drone and inevitably need repair as some point. My advice is the crashes are something you really want to avoid at all costs to get the best experience with the drone for years to come.

If you have recreational field close by, and the local regulations allow drone flights there, it would be great place to get the feel of the capabilities of the drone with little (or much less) chance of crashing your precious drone. You’ll progress quickly to get the flight controls down in a larger space, learn the limitations and learn to take better video/photo set up when you’re not concerned about clipping the plants in the yard. Happy flying!

Reactions: vindibona1
hchen said:
Mini 2 is my first drone for two weeks. I am still learn how to fly. I tried to fly in 14 mph wind at 2-10 feet high in my yard. Although there was no strong wind alert on the console of DJI Fly app, I could see the drone was drifted by wind, and pretty hard to control. I had a few crashes when the drone hit plants and fence. Fortunately, there was no damage on the drone, even there was no a single scratch. Thanks to the nice quality!

Always hard to resist taking off in the back yard but I’d hold off for now. The M2 is a tough little beast however keep in mind the flight sensors are sensitive instruments, as is the gimbal, which will sustain some level of damage with each crash of the drone and inevitably need repair as some point. My advice is the crashes are something you really want to avoid at all costs to get the best experience with the drone for years to come.

If you have recreational field close by, and the local regulations allow drone flights there, it would be great place to get the feel of the capabilities of the drone with little (or much less) chance of crashing your precious drone....

This is good advice for all new pilots. You have to learn to control your drone in large spaces before you can maneuver in smaller spaces, then smaller spaces yet. Your drone can only withstand so much punishment, and a lot depends on how you crash. That first crash can be the one that sends it to the repair shop or the morgue. Also, if you've collided with objects CHECK YOUR PROPELLERS FOR *ANY* DAMAGE large or small. Nicks on the ends or on the cutting edge of the blades can affect performance and control. If any damage at all, change them out. The props are the first things to come in contact with objects. So with a FEW crashes I'd advise a good prop inspection.

One other thing that I'd strongly recommend for a new (or any) Mini 2 pilot is a lens/gimbal hood. Lens hood
While lens hoods are primarily designed to keep stray light off of lenses in some circumstances, in this case a lens hood provides a little extra protection in the event of a face-first crash. You don't want the gimbal to be the first thing that comes in contact with an obstacle. I wouldn't fly my Mini 1 or 2 without one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest