DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 mid-flight flip recovery?

John7

Reactions
Hello friends!
I was wondering...if a mini 2 flip upside down mid-flight from a wind gust,it will self level again? Or the motors will Stop? Like when you hand catch it and do the trick. I know that when you flip it when you hand-catch it the motors stop.

Hello friends!
I was wondering...if a mini 2 flip upside down mid-flight from a wind gust,it will self level again? Or the motors will Stop? Like when you hand catch it and do the trick. I know that when you flip it when you hand-catch it the motors stop.
It would have to be a most unusual wind to flip the drone upside down.
I don't think it's ever happened, and probably never will.

Reactions: Kentucky Ranger
I have had a Mavic Mini show a crazy angle of tilt in the logs of a windy flight but upside down......
The safest way to test this would be to hand hold the Mini 2 start the motors and vigorously wobble the drone to significant angles of tilt, the drone will fight you so make sure you have a good grip.
I have just tried this with a Mavic Mini, get near or hit 90deg, even momentarily, and the motors stop.

A drone would not be able to recover from a 'flip' as the IMU would not be able to compute a solution at an extreme angle, therefore DJI wisely chose to shut power down to the motors at a predetermined angle. There are YouTube videos showing how pilots hand land a drone and to shut it down quickly they flip the drone over.

Cheers!

I have had a Mavic Mini show a crazy angle of tilt in the logs of a windy flight but upside down......
The safest way to test this would be to hand hold the Mini 2 start the motors and vigorously wobble the drone to significant angles of tilt, the drone will fight you so make sure you have a good grip.
I have just tried this with a Mavic Mini, get near or hit 90deg, even momentarily, and the motors stop.
That will happen if you are holding it, but not in flight.

Why? Genuine question.
My hand was moving all over the place so the drone would definitely have been sensing movement.
From looking at logs where aircraft have inverted due to loss of prop, motor, etc., it appears that this safety feature only executes if the parameter OSD.isOnGround is set to TRUE, which is the condition before takeoff or if it detects no descent when it would expect to, i.e. landed or crashed. In the air that parameter is set to FALSE, which is why we never see motor stop during a flight, even when it inverts.

To avoid any confusion, note that under the DJI GO 4 app the equivalent parameter was OSD.groundOrSky, which took the values GROUND or SKY, and had the same function.

I was wondering...if a mini 2 flip upside down mid-flight from a wind gust,it will self level again?
As I said previously, a wind gust won't turn your drone upside down, it would only push the drone horizontally (if it's strong enough).
But this shows how the drone would deal with finding itself upside down in the air (if that ever happened).

Mavic Mini test flight just 'flown'. Initially this was free flight but then the drone was caught and wobbled.
The file is actually a csv but I had to change the extension in order to upload it. Down load it and then change the extension back to csv. As a csv t will open and CsvView might open it but I am on a MacBook at the moment and CsvView is struggling to open some flightlog csv's for me, including this one.

Attachments

• 2022-02-07_[23-19-28] copy.txt
    640.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: John7
So this is something I actually experienced recently, and it’s crazy, but yes it does seem like it can recover from a flip. I was flying my mini 2 straight and steady in cine mode taking a video around 100ft, when a flock of birds flew straight across and one of them hit the drone. I saw it happen, and my heart sank as I knew the drone was a goner. it flip a few times after the collision and dropped probably 50ft, but then all of a sudden it righted itself and leveled out. I couldn’t believe it, I checked the screen and the video was aiming down but it was still working, it now had an IMU error showing but otherwise seemed to fly fine. I flew it back to my location and was able to land safely. Upon inspection, the top plastic case was popped open on the front, and the gimbal had disconnected from its rubber mounts but otherwise seemed fine. Not sure what happened to the bird hopeful it’s ok, the mini2 must have been hit hard to pop the case seam and dislodge the gimbal though. So yes, the mini 2 can recover from an impact or flip in the right conditions, however your mileage may vary…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada