DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 not holding position, video included

Rumplstilt

Reactions
Hello fellow pilots. As usual, seeking help from a like minded group of enthusiasts. I picked up a mini2 with a broken camera cable. The surgery was successful, however the patient will not sit still. When it takes off , inside or out, it will not hold position and wanders. When I try to rotate it does not rotate around its center, but rotates in an orbit around center. Iv replaced props with OEM, centered gimbal and calibrated the controller. Calibrated imu multiple times and compass. Iv tested the 3 modes with the same result shown in the video. The only thing I noticed, that was obvious, was there is a consistent head nod while trying to rotate around its virtical axis. Any ideas ? Thanks all!

Last edited:
Reactions: Fizzbang and a2tomm
Hello fellow pilots. As usual, seeking help from a like minded group of enthusiasts. I picked up a mini2 with a broken camera cable. The surgery was successful, however the patient will not sit still. When it takes off , inside or out, it will not hold position and wanders. When I try to rotate it does not rotate around its center, but rotates in an orbit around center. Iv replaced props with OEM, centered gimbal and calibrated the controller. Calibrated imu multiple times and compass. Iv tested the 3 modes with the same result shown in the video. The only thing I noticed, that was obvious, was there is a consistent head nod while trying to rotate around its virtical axis. Any ideas ?

Take it outdoors where it gets GPS properly and is away from the electric cables in your ceoling.

Indoores, drifting somewhat whilst rotating/spinning seems quite normal for my Mavic Minis and Mini 2s.
In your video I see nothing I would worry about.
If you really want to test it indoors, hover over something quite distinct and solid with nothing flapping or moving within the sensors field of view then put the controller down and dont touch it for 5 minutes or so, my bet would be it does not move.

Such is my confidence in them I have left the room they were in and gone to make a cup of tea etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maxi1960
Hey all. I have tried it both indoors and outdoors. I also have a mini, it is dead steady and rotates on its virtical axis consistency without wandering.

Did you try the hover test, are you spinning over the same spot that you spun the mini?
It's up to you of course but I repeat I see nothing wrong in your video.
I also repeat, left to their own devices my Mavic Minis and Mini 2s have not drifted indoors when left unattended for several minutes.
I find that more than satisfactory position holding.

@Rumplstilt my prognosis,for your issue could have something to do with the recent repairs you made to the drone its possible that you inadvertently disturbed some of the connectors ,when you had the drone opened up, that go into the main board it does not take much the connectors are quite delicate and although they may appear to be fully seated home ,it is very easy to bend the fine pins

Reactions: Gary R
Thanks for all the replies. The mini I have is perfectly still while hovering, inside or outside. When I rotate the mini it does not wander around in a circle. The mini 2 wanders while hovering and if I try to rotate it is wandering. Iv double checked both outside and in. I believe the connectors are all on, I imagine I'd get a warning if one was partly off. The mine 2 flys well , returns to home. Camera works. Flys well, just not stable at all. The head nod as I call it is the really unusual thing . It seems to repeat by degrees of rotation, like it's correcting. This is a tricky one.

If I remember correctly you have to disturb the main board to remove the stranded cable, if so could you have smeared vision sensors whilst manipulating the mani board?

Reactions: Sunny Coast Mini 2
Another idea: Why was the camera cable broken? Might be in a crash... and your Mini 2 got some more "injuries" than just the broken cable? It seems some sensor doesn't read the correct values anymore and that makes the drone wandering around 🤔 No idea if any information about this can be found in the flight log files???

Another idea: Why was the camera cable broken? Might be in a crash...
Following up on Joob's response, You wrote, "picked up a mini2 with a broken camera cable"

DId you try to fly the drone before you attempted the repair?

Reactions: xi-elf
As a question of practical usage, when, outside of testing experiments would your require mm perfect position holding whilst spinning?

As I said I see nothing awry in you video but if you think that a drone will, in normal flight, outside, hold position mm perfect you are, I think, mistaken.
When it is above VPS range I would be surprised if, on a windless day, GPS position holding would keep any drone within ft precision and more likely have a drift of several ft.

In a recent test I left a Mavic mini or Mini 2 hovering unattended, indoors, for over 6 minutes. Unattended meaning I had set the controller down and was not touching it or the joysticks. The drone was about 3ft from a window hook and for much of the hover the camera's exposure mark was over the brass hook. Over the entire hover the maximum drift of the drone was a couple of inches horizontally and vertically.
The same drone, in a spin, would, depending on what the spin was over, drift as much as is shown in you video. Though I did notice that it seemed that if the VPS had a good, very distinct target the drift was reduced to the point that at times I would say it was pirouetting around the actual VPS sensors.

Reactions: LoudThunder