DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 strong wind warning.

OldGuy

Reactions
Does anyone else get a strong wind warning on their Mini 2 when the day seems perfectly calm?

Generally speaking, wind gets stronger as you climb. Install UAV Forecast and check the winds at altitude, it might surprise you.
You are probably right as I take off from a sheltered area but I do have UAV Forecast and only fly when it is calm.

Occasionally I do but it may be small gusts etc..
If your app has it, you could switch the attitude indicator on and check the drone's pitch and roll angles.
DO NOT ignore them, just be a bit more cautious, who knows, they maybe correct. I have seen the same with a M2P too.

Occasionally I do but it may be small gusts etc..
If your app has it, you could switch the attitude indicator on and check the drone's pitch and roll angles.
DO NOT ignore them, just be a bit more cautious, who knows, they maybe correct. I have seen the same with a M2P too.
I usually fly with Litchi and of course have altitude indication but never noticed roll angle. Also thinking gusts but I always head home after the warning so my flight has been spoilt.
P.s I'm a Yorkshire pudding as well...born near Whitby.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I usually fly with Litchi and of course have altitude indication but never noticed roll angle...
@Yorkshire_Pud said attitude... not altitude indicator.

In the DJI Fly app you have it in the lower left corner with markers how the craft is leaning & how it's pitched relative to the horizon ... here you can judge if winds are affecting the craft in a severe way (no angle figures though, just a graphical representation).

In Litchi you find a similar icon in the lower left... unfortunately that only give info about the horizontal position of the craft relative the HP. So Litchi doesn't give you anything in order to judge the wind there... you need instead judge wind direction & wind speed out from flying in different directions & monitor the crafts achieved ground speed, if it achieve speeds lower than spec you can get a feeling of it ... like: flying north gives the lowest ground speed, just 3m/s in normal mode... the spec says 10m/s, meaning that the craft have a headwind of 7m/s.

1669223520066.png

Reactions: Armando Jr
@Yorkshire_Pud said attitude... not altitude indicator.

In the DJI Fly app you have it in the lower left corner with markers how the craft is leaning & how it's pitched relative to the horizon ... here you can judge if winds are affecting the craft in a severe way (no angle figures though, just a graphical representation).

In Litchi you find a similar icon in the lower left... unfortunately that only give info about the horizontal position of the craft relative the HP. So Litchi doesn't give you anything in order to judge the wind there... you need instead judge wind direction & wind speed out from flying in different directions & monitor the crafts achieved ground speed, if it achieve speeds lower than spec you can get a feeling of it ... like: flying north gives the lowest ground speed, just 3m/s in normal mode... the spec says 10m/s, meaning that the craft have a headwind of 7m/s.

View attachment 157441
I have seen the icon but am usually too focused on the drone to pay it much attention. I will take more notice of it next time. Thanks.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I've felt that the Mini 2 warnings are a bit too touchy. I've flown it with that warning popping up under almost ideal conditions.

Wind is gauged by the angle of the drone as it flies. So DJI has the sensors set too sensitive on the Mini 2.

Just my thoughts.

I've felt that the Mini 2 warnings are a bit too touchy. I've flown it with that warning popping up under almost ideal conditions.

Wind is gauged by the angle of the drone as it flies. So DJI has the sensors set too sensitive on the Mini 2.

Just my thoughts.
With that in mind, might braking (automatic or manually enhanced) be triggering it?

With that in mind, might braking (automatic or manually enhanced) be triggering it?
I’m not sure. I would think it needs to be sustained flight. The drone knows when it’s braking due to stick input.

Just my thoughts.
Would be very easy to check through the logs... the message is time stamped & around there what roll & pitch angles had the craft and what ground speed did it achieve relative stick command & compare those to the specified tilt angles & speeds allowed for the Mini 2.

My older MA1 have it's lower limit of what DJI call "wind resistance" at 8m/s ... that also happens to be max speed in Normal mode & if the drone can't reach a speed of 8m/s DJI's oddly expressed wind warning message appears in the app.

Besides this...
The MA1 also have a similar feature as was launched for the Mini 2 ... it will start to utilize Sport mode tilt angles even though being in Normal mode to achieve those max 8m/s in windy situations, which clearly is seen in the live view when the drone have fought the wind for while... it suddenly nods down & the speed increases up to 8m/s & can be maintained there.

When this nod appears... it's a clear sign that I have a head wind of at least 8m/s.

The 1st time I got the no RTH you are on your own! Winds too high I thought the bird was gone
Happy ending got it back! Scary stuff :rolleyes:
DJI's wording is quite wrong and unnecessarily scary.
In RTH, your drone will attempt to return home whatever the wind is.
The warning comes on when the drone detects a wind of 7 metres/sec, regardless of how that might affect your flight.
It comes on if you are just hovering nearby or if you are upwind and would have a tailwind for the return flight.
Ignore the warning and learn to manage flying in windy situations for yourself.

Generally speaking, wind gets stronger as you climb. Install UAV Forecast and check the winds at altitude, it might surprise you.
Been using windy for some time, did not know about uav forecast app, actually like the simplicity of the uav forecast presentation better. I try to always fly my mission up wind. Then RTH is helped with the tail wind, the horizon box is a good indication as to how hard the drone is working because of the wind. I use an Ipad mini for my flights and the first thing I do is start the screen record function on the pad. This gives me a recording of the screen during the flight, take off to landing. I find it really helpful for reviewing the flight data and control functions especially if problems are encountered.

DJI's wording is quite wrong and unnecessarily scary.
In RTH, your drone will attempt to return home whatever the wind is.
The warning comes on when the drone detects a wind of 7 metres/sec, regardless of how that might affect your flight.
It comes on if you are just hovering nearby or if you are upwind and would have a tailwind for the return flight.
Ignore the warning and learn to manage flying in windy situations for yourself.
Salient advice Meta4, learn to fly the wind. I got caught one day and couldn’t come straight back against the wind, so I came off the line about 45 degrees, and tacked into the wind like a sailboat, shedding altitude along the way. Back and forth, I finally got home with some battery left, all the while looking for a place to ditch. Startled me a bit so I try and make a backup plan or two before taking off. Forecasted winds aloft are rarely what’s actually up there, and a mini2 doesn’t fly very fast. Lessons learned the hard way stick with me.

Reactions: Armando Jr
I got caught one day and couldn’t come straight back against the wind, so I came off the line about 45 degrees, and tacked into the wind like a sailboat, shedding altitude along the way. Back and forth, I finally got home with some battery left, all the while looking for a place to ditch.
Tacking a drone won't help you to fight a strong headwind (and is nothing like what a sailboat does.
For a drone it's more like trying to swim upstream against a 4 knot current when you can only swim at 3 knots.
If you swim diagonally across, the moving water, you are losing ground with each zig and zag.
As well as that, you are swimming a much longer distance.

Your battery might have brought you home anyway and losing altitude would have helped too, but zigzagging didn't.

Reactions: RogerDH
Hmmm. It simply wouldn’t go against the wind at around 400. Maybe less wind down lower let me get back. The swimming analogy fits. If tacking doesn’t work, then it’s not worth the extra mileage. I’ll try and find the flight for someone to analyze. Thanks.

Hmmm. It simply wouldn’t go against the wind at around 400. Maybe less wind down lower let me get back. The swimming analogy fits. If tacking doesn’t work, then it’s not worth the extra mileage. I’ll try and find the flight for someone to analyze. Thanks.
Lowering altitude is always the first thing to do if fighting a strong headwind.
Dropping from 400 ft to 100 or less should have a significant positive impact.
Winds up high are usually stronger than close to the ground.

Reactions: bmcelya
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54